[HCDX]: 891 kHz during eclips

Dear all,

The discussions in the last few weeks had made me curious to the influence of the solar eclips on MW propagation.

I happen to live in the area where we had a total eclips (SW Germany, 40 km SW of Karlsruhe), so I decided to do some experiment myself. Report below.

I myself was away to watch the event, but I had my receiver and taperecorder set up to run for a few periods.

I was lucky enough to see at least something through the clouds. Only the few minutes where the eclips was total (10.31-10.33 UTC), the sky was so thickly covered with clouds that we could not see anything. It still got pretty dark.

Back to MW reception . I monitored 891 kHz. At my QTH (40 km SW of Karlsruhe), I can normally receive Hulsberg, Netherlands, (20 kW) very weakly during the day on this frequency. Distance about 300 km, direction NW.

These are the results of my four reception periods: (times in UTC)

  1. 9.30 - 9.35 . Reception weak as usual (Only partly readable).
  2. 10.00 - 10.10. Reception still weak, eclipse already about 50-70%.
  3. 10.25 - 10.40 Reception very clear. (O= 3/4). Reports of eclips visibility in N. France and S. Germany (apparently the French had more luck). Detoriation in reception already noticeable direclty after peak of event. During latter part of period (10.35-10.40) a French speaking station in the background. I can only think this to be Algeria. However, normally this channnel carries Arabic. Anyone has an explanation or alternative ?
  4. 10.50 -11.05. Reception still fair at start. French background station gone. Reception collapsed between 10.53-10.55 (i.e. 20 minutes after local peak of eclips) , returning to normal levels.

After returning home (about 12.15), I also checked the 60m band for signals. Nothing found.

Anyone else with more reception reports ?

Regards,

Aart Rouw

Bühl, Germany

AR7030 + 15 m longwire.