[HCDX]: G Hauser's Shortwave/DX Report 99-43

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-43, Oct 7, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only provided full credit be maintained at all stages}

NEW WORLD OF RADIO TIME ON WWCR. October schedule shows UT Monday
0030 on 3215; all others remain the same.

THIS WEEK ON VOA COMMUNICATIONS WORLD: We substitute for Dr. Kim
Elliott, the A-segment on VOA News Now (not the half-hour version)
UT Saturday Oct 9 starting at 0136 on 9455, etc.

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 1006: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wor1006.html

** AUSTRALIA. Glenn Hauser`s comments are (at least) misleading. The
chairman of HCJB Australia off course did not refer to the US-govt
International Bureau of Broadcasting but to the Board of HCJB's
parent organisation in the USA. I think this was very "evident" in
the original interview. The chairman stressed that although some
money will be raised for the project in Australia not all the money
can come from this country and international donors especially in the
USA will be needed. (Dr. Hansjoerg Biener, Germany, Sep 30, BC-DX)

Humm, I bet he is right, but it certainly was not evident to me, as
``The U.S. Board'' was referred to as if it were an external entity,
not HCJB itself. I have asked Allen Graham for clarification (Hauser)

** AUSTRALIA. David Parkinson did refer several times to the U.S.
board, and he was referring to the Board of Directors of WRMF in the
U.S., not any U.S. government agency. I never thought about this
being interpreted any other way, but should have been more sensitive
to this and made it clear. I'm sorry, Glenn. Although the Australia
office is legally autonomous, the overall project would be in
partnership with WRMF so would have to be coordinated with the U.S.
board for WRMF.

In checking the material I have on Kununurra from the HCJB Australia
office, it is in Western Australia, not the Northern Territory, as Bob
has said. I listened to the file and David refers to this once, right
at the beginning of the interview. He says, "The site that we have is
on the Ord River Scheme in Northwestern Northern Australia at
Kununurra." This is the only time he mentions it, and he doesn't say
Western Australia or Northern Territory! It is right near the border
as you say, so maybe that's why he said what he did! However, to be
accurate, it is in Western Australia. (Allen Graham, HCJB, Oct 4
answer to Hauser)

** COLOMBIA. Yimber Gaviria, Cali, sends us a detailed report in
Spanish, which we translate and condense here:

Caracol-Florencia, 6169v, with local news at 1133 until
closing at 1200* Sept 27.

Please excuse a mistake in my previous report referring to Comando
Central as one of the FARC programs; the correct term is
Bloque Oriental.

Monitoring of Voz de la Resistencia, Bloque Oriental, which had
been on 6095:

Sept 23 at *1130-1230* I heard only WSHB on 6095, in Spanish; but
I found them at 1150 on 6158v starting "Recommendations for the
combatant" with sounds of gunfire in the background. This had
interference from an unID station with nonstop Vallenata music on
6164v.

The second broadcast at *2130-2230* heard VozRes on 6160 with
female announcer saying to look for them all over the 49 meter
band, and asked for suggestions at 1700-1800 on 77.35 [sic]. Just
as they were closing, the Vallenata music station appeared on 6157v
to 6154, later ranchera music until 2245*

Sept 24: VozRes at 1148 on 6169v interfering with Caracol-Florencia.
The UnID was on 6162 addressing "Sen~ores Guerrilleros" for a few
minutes and then nonstop Vallenata music until 1245. The second
FARC broadcast opened at *2130 on 6169v with Noti-Enfoque, but the
unID appeared at *2145 around 6158v, now with llanera and ranchera
music nostop until 2245*. VozResBloqOrl closed at *2230 saying they
would be back at 6.30, i.e. 1130 UT on the usual frequency.

Sept 25: 1140 on 6169v, free of interference, SINPO 54444! The
second broadcast at 2130 on 6169v this time with the unID on the
same frequency, strong QRM with llanera music; free of this
after 2215, and at 2230 closing FARC station said they would be
on new frequency of 6260 the next morning at 1130.

Sept 26: at 2205 VozRes on new 6262v beginning musical portion,
nothing from the unID before 2230* when said if you don't find us,
look for us on the 49 meter band from 5800 to 6400.

Sept 27: at 1136 on 6262v, NotiEnfoque, strong QRM from unID with
pop music; FARC moved to 6258v with light splash from unID. Second
broadcast: 6258v, better on 6262v with strong QRM, but the unID
closed at 2220 and VozRes was heard better.

Sept 28: 1140 on 6258v the unID at least gave a name, La Voz del
Pueblo, then llanera music. At 2205 still on 6258v with
Recommendations for the Combatant, light splash from La Voz del
Pueblo, reaching up to 6264v.

Sept 29: 1135 on 6258v, editorial but difficult to copy due to
QRM from La Voz del Pueblo. Appears the [FARC] transmitter is
failing, since it comes and goes every few minutes. At 2205 on
new 6193v, with no signal from La Voz del Pueblo.

Sept 30: *1130 on 6195v with Compan~eros de la FARC and NotiEnfoque,
but La Voz del Pueblo was on 6189v with Articulos. Also heard this
date at 2020 on 6240 weak signal from Voz de la Resistencia Comando
de Occidente. Second broadcast at *2130 on new 6280, free of QRM
from La Voz del Pueblo.

Oct 1: Now they are on 6095 at 1150 and at *2130 with good signal,
nothing from La Voz del Pueblo (Yimber Gaviria, Colombia, via
Hauser)

** COLOMBIA. Dear Glenn, If you are looking for working links for
Radio Patria Libre, ELN, Voz de la Resistencia or FARC-EP, check our
website at http://www.transmitter.org --> Stations --> Clandestine
and Opposition Shortwave Radio Stations. Kind regards, Ludo,
Transmitter Documentation Project - TDP (Ludo Maes, BDXC-UK E-Mail
News)

I.e.: FARC-EP: http://burn.ucsd.edu/~farc-ep/ so UCSD is still
involved with them! and
ELN: http://www.nadir.org/nadir/initiativ/rpl/span/rpl-s.htm

** CUBA. Recently looked at the RHC website for their current
frequency schedule, at least in English. No luck finding it via any
of the links on the homepage, tho there are reams and reams of old
Arnie Coro scripts: http://www.radiohc.org (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW
OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** FINLAND. The widely quoted rec.radio.shortwave item that R.
Finland's evening B-99 broadcast to North America at 0230-0330 with
English at 0300 will be on 9655 and 11655 apparently contains a typo:
the full freq sked previously published says it's 11665 (Glenn Hauser,
WORLD OF RADIO 1006)

** PAKISTAN. I took a look at the R. Pakistan website Sept 30. Tho
undated, assuming it is current, the slow-speed English newscasts as
well as English at 1600-1615 are gone. The so-called World Service,
in Urdu and English, but without specifying exactly when English
segments may be, has changed considerably:

0500-0700 Gulf/ME 11725 15175 17555
0615-0700 SEAs 21730 17705
0800-1100 WEu/UKOGBANI 15530 17835
1330-1530 Gulf/ME 11570 15170 15465
1700-1900 WEu/UKOGBANI 11570 15335

A separate page on news gives these times for English on the domestic
service: 0300, 1100, 1400, 1600. We know that English has been
reported at 1400 on 11570 (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 1006)

** SOMALIA. Radio Mogadishu Voice of People (VOP)

It is nearly 4 months (May 18) that VOP was off the air and at that
time it was on 6980. It is back on 6750 a freq where it was in Feb.
Good reception at 15.30 until went off at 19.00 after NA. The
program was in Somali only. English, Arabic and Swahili as well as
the usual Military melody has not been heard; instead the program was
mainly patriotic songs and a lot of long talks by man and woman
mentioning the name of Mohamed Aydid many times as well as "October
2". Religious program was at 17.45-18.00. (Mahendra Vaghjee,
Mauritius, Oct 2, WORLD OF RADIO 1006)

** SWITZERLAND [non]. R. 510 International heard Sat until 2400 on
WBCQ 7415. DJ Stevie was explaining that there is one new show per
month, starting on the first week, repeated following weeks (sort of
like COM) and interviewed the legal hash dealer. I have not heard him
explain where the name comes from (pronounced five-one-oh) but I
figure it must be a conversion from Roman Numerals, a significant set
of letters! If not, it should be. However, 510 will be replaced by
The Real Amateur Radio Show; see USA (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO
1006)

** U S A. VOA's Talk to America Friday Oct 1 featured the second
appearance of new VOA Director Sandy (never `Sanford') Ungar. He
acknowledged criticism of his first appearance that he came off ?like
a dufus?, but emphasized that times and frequencies were not part of
his day to day job, and that he does know a lot about programming and
policy. For backup to answer questions outside his field of
expertise, he had an engineer as sidekick. At least three times
Sandy emphasized that as of today VOA is not under control of the
State Department, but is an independent federal agency; nevertheless,
Editorials reflecting the opinion of the US Government will continue;
they are NOT written by people on the VOA staff (and indeed one
followed about Pakistan at 1755-1758). In response to recurrent
comparisons of VOA with BBC, Sandy pointed out that BBC has political
controls unlike the VOA, e.g. the case of Gerry Adams, Northern
Ireland politician, whose voice the British government forbade the
BBC to broadcast; to his knowledge, nothing like that has ever
happened at VOA.

Our previous observation that 9770 from Philippines was the best
frequency for TTA has proven to have been anomalous; several later
checks, including Oct 1, showed it barely audible, while 17895
(Morocco?) is the only listenable frequency here, except when the MUF
is depressed. The actual times for TTA are 1706-1730 and 1732-1755,
including some more breaks no doubt for commercials on some
affiliates (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** U S A. All summer, WBCQ's 7415 coverage before sunset seems to
have dropped off drastically west of the Mississippi, but is
gradually improving here in OK. I was listening Friday Oct 1 at 2200
when Idio-Audio(?) was supposed to debut. Maybe I am hopelessly
linear, but I am really put off by programs which do not identify
themselves by name in the first few seconds! Maybe this was it:
phone-call on the air talking about prayer and masturbation, then
into apparent rock parody of screaming preacher... But I soon lost
interest even as reception slowly improved (Glenn Hauser, OK,
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** U S A. Dear Glenn: New program starts the 16 of October. The Real
Amateur Radio Show, Saturdays 2330-2400 utc. Hosted by Mr. Mike and
the Timtron, the program will talk about all amateur radio topics,
from the hams to the pirates. Their first featured guest will be
Riley Hollingsworth of the FCC. Mr Hollingsworth is in charge of
Amateur radio rules enforcement. (Al Weiner, WBCQ Central, Oct 1,
WORLD OF RADIO 1006)

** U S A. WRMI noted on 7465 earlier than usual Sept 26 [UT Sun] at
0025, with 0029 English ID and into Spanish. Relaying R. Prague at
0300 in English. AWR Wavescan at 0330. Excellent. Still no jamming.
Had been on 7465 from *0330 (Brian Alexander, PA, WORLD OF RADIO
1006)

** U S A. The other station occupying 9370.0 at 1100-1200 only is
WYFR, Family Radio in Spanish. WYFR clashed with WTJC for a minute
at 1059 as the latter is till off-frequency about 9370.8, plus the
usual RTTY. WTJC came back on a bit after 1200, now with a strong CRI
in Chinese on the side at 9365. Furthermore, there is more company
around the frequency. At 1048 Oct 2 I found on 9372.0 USB, Atencion
765-03, 1050 06-51 over and over, and then into 5-digit Spanish
numbers by woman. At this hour WTJC was not audible. The next day
WTJC did not come back on until 1230 (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** U S A. R. Marti heard on new 15790, at 1056 Oct 2. Quickly
computed that is another mixing product of very strong signals, so
not sure whether receiver- or transmitter produced: 9805 plus 5985
(Glenn Hauser, OK, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** U S A. Replies (non) from WGTG.

I tried to contact station owner David Franz to request an explanation
as to why he no longer answers listeners| letters, but the E-mail
address has been disconnected and no longer works. I would advise
members not to waste any further time or expense on trying to verify
WGTG as Franz is clearly not interested in hearing from listeners and
no longer replies to letters  (Dave Kenny, British DX Club
Communication Oct)

Hello? Most stations do not exist to serve listeners! It is just more
obvious in the case of WGTG. It appears the E-mail address
wgtg@xxxxxxxxxxx works when Franz wants it to, as I just received
Oct 5 a promotion from him that WGTG has a deposit in hand to build a
third 50,000 watt [sic] sideband transmitter, and will install two new
antennas to fill the gap to the northeast and east (Glenn Hauser,
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** WALES [non]. I'm listening to Celtic Notes UT Sat Oct 2 0200-0229
on 9795 with very good signal; pretty good show with jingle, interview
from Wrexham about choral music. Seems to be dedicated to providing
weekly features about Wales. They have a competition closing Sept 1,
2000, for a trip to Wales. See http://www.homecomingwales2000.com
In the original report of this at 1230 on 17650, I slipped on the date
-- it was Saturday, Sept 25 (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)                                                  ###

=====