Re: [HCDX]: VOA on 1377

Martin Elbe wrote:
> Interesting Stuff! But I doubt, that the VOA programming I can hear here
> on 1377 is coming from Tanzania. It's here every evening, just now (2150
> UTC) with a SINPO of 34444, with Asian Sound nulled out. So I guess,
> this is coming from Europe.

I was monitoring 1377 kHz both on Monday, Oct. 11th and Tuesday, Oct.
12th. On Monday, Ukraine signed off at 2112 UTC, after which a station
with African music became audible. It gave several "Radio Free Africa"
station identifications. Soon affter 2200 UTC RFA began to relay VOA
programming.

On Tuesday, I was listening to the station at the same time as you. It
is interesting that you report hearing VOA, because both at 2158 and at
2200 UTC I got a (what I believe was a Swahili-language) station
identification for Radio Free Africa. Soon *after* that they switched to
what appeared to be VOA programming - I haven't listened to the tape
yet.

With my JRC NRD-545 DSP and a 50-meter-long wire the signal is indeed
relatively strong, but far below the powerhouse level of Ukraine for
instance.

Thanks to Jari Korhonen and Jussi Suokas for your pioneer work in
identifying the station!

Mika Makelainen, Finland
email: mika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
website: www.makelainen.com/dx/dxpedit.htm