[HCDX]: G Hauser's Shortwave/DX Report 99-44

[HCDX]: G Hauser's Shortwave/DX Report 99-44

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-44, Oct. 14, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be maintained at all stages}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 1007: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wor1007.html

** BOLIVIA. R. A.N.D.E.S. has a new name, R. Maico, from Uyuni,
Potosi, now on 4796.5, Oct 9 *1030 claiming 4745. Also heard Oct 8
2310-2400* with news until 2330 (Rogildo Fontenelle Aragao,
Cochabamba - Bolivia, radioescutas Oct 8, condensed and translated
by Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 1007) See next item

** BOLIVIA. I would not be surprised if the real name for the 4795
outlet is Radio Mallku, which in Quechua is Radio Condor. The name
might be perceived as "maico" - which is nonsensical in Spanish - but
not in Quechua. Please bear in mind that the vowel "o" is extraneous
to Quechua, whereas "u" is not. The condor is part of the Bolivian
national emblem, flag and broadcasting history (remember R El Condor,
in Oruro), but I do not think "Mallku" has been used by any station
so far. 73, (Henrik Klemetz, Sweden, Oct 11, WORLD OF RADIO 1007)

** COLOMBIA. Voz de la Resistencia - Bloque Oriental, stayed on 6095
when checked Oct 1-6 during the 1130 and 2130 broadcasts, sometimes
blocked by La Voz del Pueblo with pop music. On Oct 9, moved back to
6168 for both broadcasts (Yimber Gaviria, Cali, MUNDO RADIAL)

** COSTA RICA. RFPI Mailbag replay Oct 12 allowed me to nail down
some details. New additional kitten inhabits RFPI, after being
abandoned outside the station. It's all black and bit more aggressive
than Paz, so has been named Fred after Hampton. In Eugene, Oregon,
RFPI's Progressive News from Monday and Tuesday is relayed weekly on
Radio Free Cascadia, 98.5, an unlicensed insurgent collective
station, which also relays R. Habana Cuba on Wednesdays. Other
stations interested in carrying RFPI's Progressive News are WORT in
Madison, WI, and a college station in Illinois. With higher speed
internet service coming in the next couple months, will change to MP3
format with better audio quality. Unless more people join RFPI in the
current membership drive, it may be necessary to cut back the hours
of some transmissions, especially the 30 kW unit. To join, call 1-
800-794-9365 at 1600-2400 UT seven days a week. It may take a full
minute for the call to go through via forwarding, so don't hang up
early. Power company has committed to installing single phase
transformer next week, and power supply should be much more reliable
with automatic reset a few minutes after interruption, rather than 2,
3 or 4 hours before power comes back on. RFPI has a need for an old
50 kW MW transmitter, if anyone has one to donate as a tax write-off,
so RFPI could convert it to SW, or perhaps use it on the expanded AM
band. For the benefit of FM 101.3 listeners in CR, RPFI is designing
an easy to make and cheap FM antenna, about $5, cubical quad with PVC
parts, 2 elements and 2 loops, very directional with gain and
rejection, the size of a box kite. (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. In preparing my VOA script mentioning Radio
Villa, I searched the net for info on Bachata, and found this:

La Musica en Arte Latino: Bachata  por J. M. Hidalgo

  Genero musical de poca trascendencia pero de muy fuerte arraigo en
la clase baja y zonas rurales.
  Fue tradicionalmente despreciado por los musicos profesionales como
carente de calidad y valor artistico.
  Tonadas simples y repetitivas, asi como letras sencillas y tematica
machista y de despecho son sus caracteristicas principales.
  Pero sin dejar de reconocer su arraigo y tomandola como punto de
partida, musicos de la talla de Victor Victor, Juan Luis Guerra y
Luis Diaz la rescatan, embelleciendo sus letras y adornando su musica
con una mejor instrumentacion y arreglos mas actualizados.
  Asi, ha surgido recientemente una presencia de varios artistas
(Juan Luis Guerra, Victor Victor, Anthony Rios, Manuel Jimenez,
etc.), conocidos en otros generos y que incursionan en la bachata,
los cuales podriamos denominar de bachateros de moda, en contraste
con los verdaderos bachateros, o musicos populares en este genero,
como Anthony Santos y Teodoro Reyes. (Grupo Interconect © 1997
colocando el mundo latino en la red) (via Hauser)

** ECUADOR. R. Oriental, Tena, measured on 4782.32 Oct 11 at 1037 in
peppy Andean music wake-up show, often greeting listeners on ||4780
onda corta|| abroad as well as on 1100 AM; 1043 accurate 5:43
timecheck, convocatoria on the need for teachers of English (Glenn
Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** ECUADOR. Nice signal on 5999.36 Oct 11 at 1050 with responsive
rosario. What always gets me is the phrase ||fruto de tu vientre
Jesus|| as if the Catholics don|t know the difference between a womb
and a stomach or belly, which is what vientre means. In fact, my
Spanish dictionary does not even give womb as one of the translations
of vientre. Could it be that the correct term for womb is considered
dirty in Spanish? Or maybe it is just that ||fruto de tu utero|| is a
gigglifying tongue-twister? In that case they could use the seemingly
neutral word ||matriz||.

No ID heard at 1100 and into dialog. At 1104, RHC 6000 carrier came
on late, close enough for commie government work, and news joined in
progress, completely overriding the 5999.36 signal. I assume this was
La Voz del Upano in Ecuador, which is known to be off-frequency and
is run by the Catholics (Glenn Hauser, OK, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

** GREENLAND and FIJI [non]. This year's Nordic DX Championship which
takes place this weekend, includes a specially-arranged SW broadcast
by a Greenlandic FM radio station, Sisimiut Tusaataat.

It will be on SW with 5kW on Sunday 17th October at 0100-0200 UTC
(i.e. early Sunday morning UTC) on either 6990 or 6959 kHz.

WRTH gives the station's address as Box 312, 3911 Sisimiut,
Greenland.

Sisimiut (which may be shown on older maps by its Danish name
Holsteinsborg) is on the west coast of Greenland, approx 350km north
of the capital Nuuk (Godthab).

As a word of caution, the Nordic DX website advises us to check their
home page at http://www.wmr.dk/nordx/ in case of a last-minute
frequency change or possible cancellation. Unfortunately a planned SW
broadcast this Friday by an FM station in Fiji will not now take
place.

(Thanks to our friends at the Dansk DX Lytter Klub for organising
this broadcast - and to John Ekwall and Jerry Berg of Numero Uno for
alerting us to it.) (Dave Kenny, BDXC-UK E-Mail News Oct 12, WORLD
OF RADIO 1007)

** IRELAND [non]. RTE found on additional 13725, //21630 Ascension,
and in phase Sat Oct 9 at 1845; from strength suspect Sackville or
Cypress Creek, maybe beamed back to Europe (Joe Hanlon, PA, WORLD OF
RADIO 1007)

** MEXICO. PROGRAMA DE PRUEBA ||ENCUENTRO DX|| Estimado amigo
Sr. Glenn Hauser

El programa "Encuentro DX" saldra al aire, con un programa de prueba,
que sera repetida por tres semanas consecutivas, a partir del jueves
14 hasta el domingo 31 de octubre.

El Jueves 14 de octubre sera la primera vez que por XEOI 6010 kHz,
Radio Mil Onda Corta, contara con este programa especial y no
retransmitira la programacion de su onda media por unas cuantas
horas, como lo ha estado realizando por mas de 50 an~os.

El esquema es el siguiente:
El primer programa se transmitira en forma simultanea por XEOY 1000
kHz y XEOI 6010 kHz, el Jueves 14 de octubre a las 05:00 (UTC).

Las repeticiones del programa por XEOI 6010 seran:

Los jueves a las 15:00 y 22:00 (UTC)
Los viernes a las 16:00 y 23:00 (UTC)
Los sabados a las 13:30, 21:00 y 01:30 (UTC)
Los domingos a las 14:00, 23:00 y 02:00 (UTC)

Esperamos su ayuda y colaboracion, enviandonos sus reportes de
recepcion asi como sus sugerencias y comentarios a la siguiente
direccion:

XEOI, Radio Mil Onda Corta
Apartado Postal, 21-1000
04021 - Mexico 21, D.F.
Mexico

Reciban saludos
Julian Santiago Diez de Bonilla
Hector Garcia Bojorge
"Encuentro DX" (Hector Garcia Bojorge, Oct 11, WORLD OF RADIO 1007)

** MEXICO. No thanks to BBC, which arrogantly chose to broadcast on
XEPPM|s frequency 6185 last spring, but Radio Educacion finally has
its frequency free of BBC during prime time 0200-0500, as BBC Delano
has moved to 6135 early as scheduled for B-99, noted Oct 13.
Unfortunately, XEPPM audio was rather distorted, and there may be
some weaker co-channel remaining, Brazil? But try to enjoy R.
Educacion while you can, as some other major broadcaster may find
6185 irresistible this winter (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 1007

** MONGOLIA. In wake of Schotmans| harmonic report I checked for V.
of Mongolia, Oct 12 at 1203 tune-in, and found what appeared to be
VOM on 12085, back from 12015, where there was some weak
unintelligible signal. 12085 had heavy flutter, fair signal, woman
talking in English; 1212 music; 1217 another voice. So VOM English
appears to be 1200-1230 on 12085 (and 24170)
        VOM definitely on 12085 now: Oct 13 at 1159 IS, 1200
opening English with ID, schedule as Au 1200 12085, SAs 1500 9720 and
12085, Eu 2000 (?? Not sure) 9720 12085. It will be pointless to
check their habitually outdated websites for accurate info (Glenn
Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** OMAN. Checking 9735 for English from Oman past several weekends at
such as 2305-2400+ Oct 1 but never hear any English. I do hear a
strong unID station in language with ME music, Koran; could not catch
ID (Brian Alexander, PA)

** PAKISTAN. In light of the coup here, Ivan Grishin Oct 12 looked up
R. Pakistan website schedule, which is still the same as in our DX
Report 99-43 last week.
        Checked for R. Pakistan English news at 1400 Oct 13.
Nothing audible on 11570 or 15465, but apparent weak English news on
15170 until 1415, presumably this (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 1007)

** RUSSIA. Next weekend we will relay two test transmissions
according to this schedule:

Saturday, October 16th

1400-1500 UTC on 5905 and 11975 kHz
1700-1800 UTC on 5895 and 7390 kHz

These transmissions will be provided via St.Petersburg-Popovka with
200 kW on each frequency. 6 MHz is to European part of Russia/CIS
(non-directional antenna), 7 and 11 MHz are to the Caucasus
region/the Middle East (curtain antenna with 147 degrees). It will be
a Russian program of well-known US religious station called KNLS from
Anchor Point in Alaska (first relay from European-based
transmitters?).

We are very interested in any reception reports and especially - from
indicated target areas with simple portable receivers and telescopic
antennas in use. Please note we will not be able to verify your
reports but we will be very grateful to all of you who will send us
any comments about these transmissions. Please send your comments to
our e-mail address: pcd00342@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,  and a copy of your
message directly to KNLS to the following address: wcbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you in advance for any help.

Mikhail Timofeyev
GPR-2 Broadcasting Enterprise
St.Petersburg
Russia
pcd00342@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (via WORLD OF RADIO 1007)

** SWITZERLAND. Radio 510 International is a Monthly so it "floats"
around the schedule and is aired as time permits. Usually several
times a month. Cheers, (Allan Weiner, WBCQ 7415, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING) Ex- Sat 2330

** U K O G B A N I. Checking 6135 to see whether it is free for BBC
as scheduled for B99 at 0200-0500 via Delano, Oct 13, it is already
there, ex-6185! After more than six months of clashing with Mexico,
BBC finally caught on and moved to a clear frequency. Certainly no
reason to wait until Oct 31; not sure when the change actually was
made (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 1007)

** U S A. VOA News Now heard Oct 13 at 1158 on 9770 promoting a
special series of broadcasts next week live from Nigeria, M-F at
2100. A team is already in Abuja. Excerpts will also be repeated at
other times. (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING) ###

=====