[HCDX]: Radio St. Helena QSL's for 1999 will certainly be delayed.

[HCDX]: Radio St. Helena QSL's for 1999 will certainly be delayed.

The following news item was reported today hear in South Wales

A ship that set off from Wales carrying essential supplies to the tiny
British dependency of Saint Helena has broken down en-route.

St Helena resident Basil George: "The news last night was the delay would be
longer than two weeks"
The RMS St Helena is in dock at Brest in France, awaiting repairs and some
5,000 islanders in the South Atlantic fear it won't reach them before
Christmas.

It is reported the ship may have a broken crankshaft and could be delayed
for more than two weeks.

Ninety-three islanders and cruise passengers were on board the ship hoping
to visit the island for Christmas and the New Year.

One resident said news of the ship had prompted panic buying in the island's
shops, with supplies of some products running.

Basil George said: "We do not have an air service to St Helena and we very
much depend on our ship from Cardiff.

"We are very concerned. We are informed through Radio St Helena of the
situation and the news last night was the delay would be longer than two
weeks.

"The ship has a broken crankshaft."

RMS St Helena was originally due to reach the island in a week's time.

Mr George said the British government was looking into the possibility of
creating an airstrip on the hilly island.
"The terrain here is very difficult."
"We have some strong memories and ties with Cardiff."