Re: [HCDX]: AFN strong on 1503 kHz !

yes, Jorma, Lajes Field has been using AFN-identification on top of the
hour for many years, at least since 1996. The same goes for Incirlik,
Turkey and many times the same program as AFN-873 with a delay. The
computer program used by many DX-ers here in Finland makes it sometimes
difficult to get these new names through, since listerners prefer just to
"click" on the right station with the old name.
On Saturday night and Sunday morning I had the possibility to check the
direction of the signal and it is not Azores for sure. I have a 1000 meter
antenna to this direction and it was nil. I have a 650 meter in SSE which
give southern / SE Europe best and 1100 meter in SSE too which gives Arabic
Peninsula and Africa. Even if the direction would be perfect also for this
one it is too long to be able to compete with the 650 meter for shorter
distances, like southern Europe.
Neither do I believe in any "strange" signal routes as conditions were
quite good for YU/Greece area on Saturday night, heard e.g. ERA -1584.02
and that signal is not often heard here. On the other hand, 1503 was
otherwise quite empty (except Iran..) no Montenegro nor Bosnia Hercegovine.
73s Per-Ole Stenman, Jakobstad