Re: [HCDX]: Old Passport (and WRTH) books

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Richard Jary wrote:

> I remember last year someone was organising old Passport to World Band
> Radio books for those in 3rd world countries who couldn't afford them.
> Does anyone know if this is still happening - before I chuck my old one?
>
> Richard

newsletter.  This project matches those with books to give away
with people who need them.  One can donate either used Passports or
WRTHs, since both are in demand and both have a lot of info that stays
the same for a few years.  Donors are given the address of someone who
needs a book, and they then send the book to the recipient at their own
expense.  One can often do this at a lower cost by using surface mail.
It's done in a direct, person-to-person way, and while Cumbre DX
itself does not donate the books, they get people together for this
purpose.

This project can use books from anyone who would like to donate them, and
this is a good time of year to do so, both because of the holiday spirit
and because both Passport and WRTH have new editions coming out, so you
can donate old books to make room for the new 2000 editions.

For more information about how you can donate a book, or to put your name
in for one if you can't afford one or can't get them in your country, you
can send an e-mail to Ulis Fleming of Cumbre DX at:

ulis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also, you can write to Ulis at this postal address:

Ulis Fleming
P.O. Box 392
Odenton MD 21113
U.S.A.

There is also some information at the Cumbre DX web site:

http://www.cumbredx.org

Thanks to everyone who helps out in this project!

73 and thanks--
Marie Lamb
Host and Producer
DXing with Cumbre