[HCDX]: G Hauser's Shortwave/DX Report 99-72

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-72, Dec 11, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be maintained at all stages. If
excerpting, that means adding the line above to the item.}

CONTINENT OF MEDIA 99-09. The new edition started airing on RFPI Dec
10. For topic summary see
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/com9909.html

For schedule see
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wormassw.html

** AUSTRIA [non]. This week, ORF's DX show in Spanish, Sat Dec 11 at
1651 on 17865 via Canada, had at least 3 minutes of two simultaneous
Spanish tapes playing at same level, one of which was the DX program.
Would it be too much to ask for operators at ORF to pay attention to
what they are sending out? (Glenn Hauser, OK)

** BRAZIL [non]. Sat Dec 11 between 21 and 22 Brasilia time [2300-
2400 UT] R. Transmundial will have a live broadcast via satellite
from TWR Bonaire on 800 kHz. Rudolf Grimm, and Carlos Felipe da Silva
of the Amigos do Radio program will be participating. The objective
is to reach listeners who call an 0800 toll-free number during this
hour, and determine where they are calling from, since changes are
being made in the antenna pattern toward South America. So people are
invited to listen and call the 0800 number which will be announced.
(Grimm, radio-escutas Dec 10, translated by Hauser) Karl Leite in
Natal added that he had not heard PJB 800 for quite some time. As I
recall, TWR is turning off its 500 kW transmitter to be replaced by
100 kW with more directive antenna pattern (Hauser)

** COSTA RICA. On this week's RFPI Mailbag, James Latham wondered if
others were hearing some data QRM to 6975. Yes, I did, at 0541 check
Dec 11, when 3-second data bursts came on precisely every 39 seconds
for the several minutes I listened with watch in hand. Strong enough
to be annoying, but not totally overriding; after a while one tended
to tune them out mentally (Glenn Hauser, OK)

** ISRAEL. Dear Kol Israel, please a d j u s t your 50 kW tx at
Jerusalem transmitter site, which is registered for 9390 kHz channel
on the ITU list. The latter mentioned tx unit is wandering today, Dec
11, towards variable 9393.04 kHz. Hetting Radio Pakistan which is co-
channel carrying the French service on 9395 kHz (exact 9394.91]. 73
de (Wolfgang DF5SX Bueschel)

9390 1900-2200 2-10,27,28 ISR 50 318 0 28 D HEB ISR KOL 30-3
9395 2200-2359 2-10,27,28 ISR 50 318 0 28 D HEB ISR KOL 30-3
9390 2359-0500 2-10,27,28 ISR 50 318 0 28 D HEB ISR KOL 30-3

** PORTUGAL. December 11, 1999. This item comes from CIDX member
Larry Dolan, of Pierrefonds, Quebec. While checking out some opening
in the low VHF spectrum, on Saturday, December 11, 1999, around 1400
UT, Larry came up with the following catch: 31080 kHz at 1400 UT-
PORTUGAL: RDP Radio Portugal in Portuguese. Second harmonic of 15540
kHz with Portuguese programming for North America. Larry is using an
Icom IC-R7100 with outdoor mobile magmount antenna. He also monitored
the fundamental 15540 on his Drake R8B with a random wire. (Sheldon
Harvey Greenfield Park, Quebec)

** SUDAN. 6965 has been noted here with good reception at 1430-1610v;
no religious program has been heard but mainly talk in Arabic on
neighbouring countries  - Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia and Uganda and
Arabic songs of European Style went off Dec 1O at 1600 and on Dec 11
at 1611 after News and ID as Ida.......Sudani (Mahendra Vaghjee,
Mauritius, Dec 11) But which station, exactly? (Hauser)

Mahendra was kind enough to send along a RA file of this one. He's
right, it is an anti-Sudanese clandestine. It's Voice of Freedom and
Renewal, which is reportedly based in Eritrea. Heard in Arabic with
military action reports and news headlines. Sudanese government
referred to a 'terrorist regime' and IDs as Sowt al-hurriyah wa al-
tajdid. Did hear one new slogan after an ID, Sowt al-Sudan al-jadid,
Voice of the new Sudan. The backer of this station recently reported
that they were operating a bit "below" their announced frequency of
7000 kHz. This one has been heard as far as East Coast North America,
so check out 6965 at 0400. (Hans Johnson, Cumbre DX Special)

** TURKS & CAICOS. Dear Glenn, My apologies for not giving the Turk &
Caicos item from your SW-report full source-information in ARC's MW-
Echo. It was a mistake and I'm sorry for that.
I take this opportunity to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a
Happy New Year 2000! 73's (Tore Larsson editor of ARC's Caribbean and
Central American column, Dec 11) Same to you!

** U S A. On Dec 11 I checked the WRMI website
http://members.xoom.com/wrmi, and found the program schedule updated
as of Dec 1, and FINALLY presented in tabular rather than paragraph
format! And you get to the schedule at first step after the home
page. WRMI is on 7385 at 0200-0930 except UT Mon from 0300. Since I
have not heard WRMI on 9955 in MONTHS ? literally, nothing but
jamming whenever I check, I will pick out only the few programs worth
listening to which are on 7385. Note that Wavescan is presented ONLY
in the middle of the night for your convenience, as is Viva Miami
with one exception.

Daily  0300-0330 R. Prague Spanish
Daily  0330-0400 R. Prague Czech
Daily  0400-0430 R. Prague English
UT Sat 0430-0445 UN Radio
UT Sun 0445-0500 Viva Miami English
UT Sun 0500-0600 Scream of the Butterfly
UT Tue 0830-0900 AWR Wavescan
UT Tue 0900-0930 Viva Miami English
UT Wed 0830-0900 AWR Wavescan
UT Wed 0900-0930 Viva Miami English
UT Thu 0900-0930 Viva Miami English
UT Fri 0900-0930 Viva Miami English

Let us hope the UT days here are correct in the 0830-0930 period,
since WRMI presents its schedule in UT but ``local days'' and
apparently 0830-0900 is still considered the day before since it is
at the end of the previous day's schedule rather than the beginning
of a new day, a la the dolts at TV Guide, even tho it is the next day
both by UT and EST! (Glenn Hauser)

** U S A. Tnx to a tip last week from Glenn Hauser, I checked Sat Dec
11 for the ``Worldwide Space Support Net'' on 13985 USB. It started
at 1600 sharp, not 1500 as he thought they had said. First-time NCS
was AGA5MC at McChord AFB, WA, with last week's NCS, AFA4BR, helping
out as alternate NCS. It is a USAF directed net, meaning everybody
takes orders from the NCS, no free-for-all. First there was setting
the net frequency. Roll call took at least 15 minutes, then
propagation tests with various stations called upon to radio-check
others. This was marred by some exact co-channel QRM which came up,
referred to by one participant as PACTOR. At 1636 it was time for
phone patches, but no one had adequate quality for that. Proclaimed
that maximum effort is expected on 1 January to exchange Y2K info
between command posts and to clue in the command posts about this.
13985 was finally referred to as Wisdom 3, in discussing QSY after
1643* to Wisdom 7, and later down to Wisdom 6. (Does anyone know what
frequencies these are?) As far as I could tell all the participants
were within CONUS, not Worldwide at all, and nothing whatsoever was
said about space, or supporting it. Some were at various AFBs,
identified with calls, or in outlying areas such as AFA6CG in Deming,
NM, ``supporting Holloman AFB''. An exercise, in futility? (Glenn
Hauser, OK)

** U S A. From Allan Weiner Worldwide, Dec 11 at 0100 on WBCQ 7415:
His malady is a mild case of viral encephalitis, and herbal remedies
his M.D. would never even think of prescribing, have been helping. He
would rather have this than Lyme disease. Plans are firming up for
the summer radio-ship in Boston harbor. He was talking about what a
lightship is, but I did not catch whether this vessel is to be one.

Earlier I checked for Jean Shepherd on WBCQ 7415 at the scheduled
time Dec 11 of Fri 2130. There was Gary Bourgois carrying on a
conversation with someone, almost as if not on the air. At 2139 Gary
realized he had forgotten that it was time to play Jean Shepherd for
WBCQ, and was hunting around for the tape, which would run late at
2140-2230, but evidently he never found it as at recheck after 2205
it was still Gary gab. Geez, it is possible to be too informal as an
international satellite and shortwave broadcaster. (Glenn Hauser, OK)

** U S A. Kim Elliott expects me to do another Shortwave Year in
Review special feature, to appear on the C-segment timings only of
VOA Communications World Dec 25, i.e. 0736, 1536, 1936, 2336, as well
as in the half-hour deluxe edition (Glenn Hauser, OK)            ###