[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-19 Jan 31

	DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-19, January 31, 2000
		edited by Glenn Hauser

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages}

** ANGUILLA. DGS splatter again noted as high as 11915 around 1245
Jan 31 from 11775 transmitter. If these reports are getting tiresome,
that is nothing compared to the splat (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** COSTA RICA. Joe Bernard reports that RFPI`s 25930-USB has been
down the last few days due to antenna tuner problems. So instead they
have been running 15049 much earlier than usual, from about 1600, I
think, and so far is holding up well through mid-day as of Jan 30. On
the other band, I have noticed 6975 closing well before 1300, and not
always going by 2300 so its hours seem to have been reduced. Feb 1
was a tentative date for an official schedule revision (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** COSTA RICA. 6105.0 had classical music around 1305-1325 Jan 31
with a Spanish announcement at 1315, presumably TIUCR, R. Universidad
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. RRI Fakfak radio off air since mob attack 28th January

Text of report by Indonesian radio on 31st January

The Fakfak station [in Papua Province] of Radio Republik Indonesia
[RRI] has been off the air since local youths committed brutal acts
[last Friday, 28th January]. RRI Jayapura Correspondent Gregorius
Rumbino has filed a full report.

[Rumbino] The RRI Fakfak station has been off the air since last
Friday when a mob severely damaged its building and vital equipment.
When contacted by telephone from Jayapura [Papua provincial capital]
last night, RRI Fakfak station caretaker Aloys Ngotra confirmed that
a group of youths committed the acts of destruction. The youths
insisted that the station broadcast a statement opposing the
provincial government and cancel the planned airing of a provincial
government statement on the acceptance of new civil servants. RRI
employees held tough negotiations with the youths. RRI adamantly
refused to broadcast the youths' statement. In fact, this had
far-reaching consequences. A mob later committed acts of destruction
at the RRI Fakfak station. The building, including the studio, was
severely damaged. Two RRI employees were seriously injured. They are
being treated at the Fakfak District General Hospital.

This is Gregorius Rumbino reporting from Jayapura.

Source: Radio Republic of Indonesia, Jakarta, in Indonesian 0700 gmt
31 Jan 00 (via BBC Monitoring, via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MALAWI. 3380, MBC has been reactivated; good and clear reception
at 2100 with English Songs presented by man in English - 2200 ID as
MBC Radio One then followed with news and went off after news
(Mahendra Vaghjee, Mauritius, Jan 30, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [non?] Glenn, the following was posted to FRN/vines ACE
website: Gentlemen, The station you heard [on 6950, 6955, see DXLD
00-14] was a new clandestine in support of the Zapatista uprising in
Chiapas, Mexico. The mentions of Argentina related to similarities of
the human rights violations during Argentina's "Dirty War" and the
human rights violations more recently in Chiapas. The station is "La
Voz del Zapatista" or "The Voice of the Zapatista". As I understand
it QSL arrangements are being made through one of the U.S. pirate
drops. The location is of course secret. I will post more information
at a later date. That is all, Commandante Null (via Charles Crawford,
Henderson KY, Jan 29, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. Thu. Feb. 3 at 0205 UT on 17675: MAILBOX - Myra Oh
reads letters and news of interest, Paul Ormandy reports on the
latest DX news, Frequency Manager Adrian Sainsbury answers and
explains technical questions and the latest solar propagation news is
supplied by IPS Radio & Space Services. In the first new show of the
New Year, Adrian Sainsbury finds out about a little known
communication mode - it started life way back in 1927, and was used
during the Spanish Civil War. It almost ceased to exist until an
Auckland Radio Amateur brought it back to life. What do you know
about Hellschreiber?  MAILBOX first airs Monday 2135, as well as on
Wednesday 1735, Friday 1935 UTC [all on 17675]. Each current program
is available on demand in RealAudio at the RNZI Web site. (John
Figliozzi, swprograms via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Or perhaps Openhoma would be more appropriate, for all
the stations which like to run open carriers. The TIS at Vance AFB,
Enid on 1610 has been that way for 3 or 4 months now. Sunday
afternoon is a good time, but not the only time, for unattended AM
stations to lose their automation/feed or whatever, and go unnoticed
by the licensees -- which ought to be a sure route to revocation for
wasting the public`s airwaves even moreso than when modulating pap
and crap.

Jan 30 at 1820 UT I made a traditional bandscan and came upon 1580
KOKB Blackwell OK modulating zero, which led me to check 1020 for its
twin KOKP Perry OK, a semi-local here, which indeed was open carrier
too. 1580, however was soon back to a silly ballgame, but I left a
receiver on 1020 to see just how long it would run blank. Still that
way well past 1900. Finally popped on at 1948! with a Cowboys game
well in progress, I suppose. This was running a satellite-hop behind
1580. So there you have at least a sesquihour of dead air. Do the
sponsors get a refund? Ha!

[non]. Meanwhile, another open carrier was found on 1130 from KLEY
Wellington KS, not far from the OK border. This too was blank well
past 1900, except a few words of something which briefly popped on at
1847. I have previously noticed silence or extraneous noises from
this transmitter, which I have often passed on the road to Wichita,
where it is obviously an adjunct to a much more important FM station.
1130 is often duplicating 1550 KKLE Winfield, which was operating
normally, such as 2007 UT Balance the Scales from People`s Radio
Network. Besides the OK 1550 station, this was atop a barrage of
skywave already welling up underneath. 1130 audio never heard coming
up all afternoon.

[non non] 1530 is yet another Oklahoma open-carrier. We first noticed
this 4 or 5 years ago at night, an obstacle to Cincinnati. At least a
year ago it was traced, by John Tudenham, I believe, to KXTD,
Wagoner, supposedly a daytimer, leaving its 5 kW transmitter on 24
hours. In the daytime we can barely hear it with Spanish for the
Tulsa market aside KOMA. Just rechecked Jan 31 at 0531 and there was
the carrier.

Local KGWA 960, Enid often runs unattended. At 0535 UT Jan 31 we were
hearing beeps one per second off some network feed, but preferred to
sleep than find out how long this went on (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK,
where snow from last Wednesday still has not melted, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. Voice of Russia will resume its Spanish service to Europe
on Feb 1st, 2000 according to the following schedule:

Daily 2130-2200 UT
7320 kHz (from Mar 5th to Mar 25th)
7380 kHz (to Mar 4th)
9480 kHz

If you will have any observations of this relay please will send a
copy to me and I will resend your information to our frequency
manager in Moscow (please note - no any QSL this way)...

(Mikhail Timofeyev, St. Petersburg pcd00342@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx DX
LISTENING DIGEST) Will there be other frequencies from other sites,
and how about Germany 1323 as Kai Ludwig suggested? (gh)

** U K O G B A N I. The scheduling geniuses at BBC WS have deprived
North Americans of yet another of BBC`s bright shining lights: From
Our Own Correspondent. The weekend 25-minute edition is typically
made up of 5 x 5 minute essays, often humorous, touching, and/or
insightful, from all over the world, reportage in a form one can
hardly find on American radio, especially since the dumbing-down of
Perspective from ABC News.

Since January started, the only two airings on the AE stream are
Sunday 0835, and Sunday 1630. The latter is for Europe only, since
the AE has Concert Hall instead, another program which I am certainly
glad to be able to hear well, but not at the expense of FOOC. At
0835, of course, there are NO SW frequencies to us; I was not so
concerned while I could rely on KMUW 89.1 Wichita`s overnight BBC WS
relay, now blocked by the newest Enid gospel-huckster satellator.

So we are forced to look elsewhere for FOOC, including possible
offbeam frequencies at the above times. I have gone thru the new WS
frequency folder dated February-March, and double-checked the FOOC
times as listed in the Feb BBC On air in case there have been any
further changes; all applicable SW frequencies are shown here
including those with no chance of propagating to NAm:

Sat 1905 Af 17830-AS, 15400-AS. These may be our best bet, judging
from good offbeam reception Sunday Jan 30.

Sun 0005 SAs 17790-SG, 15310-T, 11955-OM, 9410-CY, 5965-OM.
Additionally for SEAs, where I am not sure the S or E Asian variation
applies: 17760-SG, 7110-SG, 6195-SG, 3915-SG

Sun 0805 Af 17830-AS, 15400-AS, 11940-SA, 6190-SA. From occasional
wakefulness at this hour, I recall that 15400 is often quite good.

Sun 0805 As/Pac 21830-GB, 21660-SG, 17760-SG, 15360-SG, 15310-T,
11955-SG, 9740-SG

Sun 0835 Eu 17640-GB, 15575-CY, 15565-GB, 15485-GB (NAf), 12095-GB,
9410-GB

Sun 1505 EAs 9740-SG, 6195-SG, 5990-T. 9740 is also designated for
WNAm with the Asian stream, obviously better toward the west, but
sometimes holds up here.

Sun 1630 Eu 15565-GB, 12095-GB, 9410-GB. 15565 had a marginal
unreadable signal here, but further east and on a better day might be
adequate.

The situation is not so dire for the separate midweek edition of FOOC
lasting 15 minutes, which I include here for the sake of
completeness:

Wed 1515 Eu 15565-GB, 12095-GB, 9410-GB
         Am 17840-AT, 15220-CA, 9590-WYFR, 9515-CA

Wed 1930 Eu/NAf 12095-CY, 9410-GB, 6195-GB, 3955-GB

Wed 2145 Af 15400-AS, 11835-GB, 6190-SA, 6005-SE, 3255-SA

Thu 0430 Am 6175-CA, 6135-DL, 5975-AT

Thu 0805 Eu 17640-GB, 15565-GB, 15485-FB, 12095-GB (NAf), 9410-GB

Thu 0905 As 21660-SG, 17760-SG, 15360-SG, 15310-T, 11955-SG, 11945-
SG, 11765-T, 9740-SG, 6195-SG

Thu 1515 SAs 17630-OM, 15310-OM, 5975-T

Thu 1945 Pac 9740-SG

Key to sites: AS Ascension, AT Antigua, CA Canada, CY Cyprus, DL
Delano, GB UKOGBANI, OM Oman, SA South Africa, SE Seychelles, SG
Singapore, T Thailand, WYFR Okeechobee

One may read the despatches, however, accompanied by photos and
links, but apparently there is no audio for this, unlike many other
programmes, at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/from_our_own_correspondent/default.stm
It is not clear, however, which reports were on which broadcast
(Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)              ###