[HCDX]: Radio in India part 1 of 4

Asia MW Notes  - part one

I returned from an Asian trip a few days ago. My friend
Patty has an older brother David who is running the South
India Christ Church Mission out of Chennai (Madras), Tamil
Nadu State. This mission was founded by her parents, who
went there from Indiana in 1950, and I accompanied her
for a family visit back "home".

Our travel took us to southern India, (in Tamil Nadu and
Kerala), Sri Lanka and Singapore. I brought along my
DX-375 portable of "Jamaica Bandscan" fame which can be
set for 9 kHz steps on MW band tuning (a fact of which
many Radio Shack dealers are blissfully unaware..)
This rx is OK for checking locals but is marginally
adequate for attempts at serious distant night time
MW listening. I actually did not spend a great deal of
time DXing, most of my time so spent was on MW, but the
band gets "stale" fairly fast due to the self-similar
programming.

I would characterize broadcasting in India probably the
most undeveloped, unimaginative programming I have ever
heard, but often I would find enjoyable local music on
Chennai-A (720) and just hang out there and listen, with
some nice sitar, veena, etc. Didn't chase 'film music'.

First, tropical band, I did some checks, no surprises
found. I did find Andamans-4760 fairly easy to hear, the
60-mb stations from India were good, audio was fairly
good on them. Lack of English pgms and knowledge of the
regional dialects made this almost an exercise in 'list-
logging' and since I haven't bought a WRTVH in many years,
I don't have an extensive 'list' to offer. I found Radio
Singapore Int'l -6150 quite entertaining especially
when Pat wanted to hear something understandable (her
Tamil is pretty rusty especially the 'high Tamil' used
on the radio).

(end part 1)
c:\Dxing\India-1.txt