[HCDX]: DX session (summary) - Rockport, MA, USA

[HCDX]: DX session (summary) - Rockport, MA, USA

Greetings to all. I had a great DX session on Wednesday
night (15 MAR) at Granite Pier in Rockport, MA. This time,
unlike some other sessions, I got quite a bit of it on
tape (highlights may be played at Friday's BADX meeting).

It was a mostly clear, chilly, and very windy night over at
the pier. I had to retract the 1.8 m whips (making up the
two sides of the broadband loop) some as the setup was
becoming physically unstable in the high gusts. I recently
acquired two of Wellbrook's fine broadband loop amplifiers
from Andy Ikin. One of these amplifiers was used for this
session: it performed admirably.

Saudi Arabia was running all-night with speeches and Koran
on a number of channels. Not only was 1521 its usual booming
self, but I had a huge parallel signal on 594. The Saudi-1440
outlet overtook the domestics for awhile around 0212 UTC (16 MAR).

There was a good signal from Greece-981 at 0133 UTC. Middle
Eastern music was heard behind Croatia-1134 (so maybe Kuwait).
Iran-1503 peaked at 0032 UTC with a good signal. 702, a
generally-unproductive channel on many outings, offered
Morocco early and Slovakia later. Usual big-guns from the
UK, Ireland, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands,
Croatia, Norway, Italy, Egypt, Morocco, Algeria, etc. were
all thundering in. Several UK stations (including "Talk
Sports" ex "Talk Radio" - 1053/1089) had news stories about
BMW acquiring the Rover car company. Ceuta-1584 was spot-on
1584.0 rather than 1583.6.

Caribbean / South American signals were there, but they
weren't of high enough quality to steer me away from the
exciting Trans-Atlantic action.

I expect to do some more listening over the weekend.
Full-detail combined loggings from 15/16 MAR and from
the weekend listening will be issued later.

Mark Connelly - WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA
e-mail: MarkWA1ION@xxxxxxxxxx
homepage: http://members.aol.com/MarkWA1ION/weblink.htm
RF circuit page: http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/index.html
Newfoundland DXpedition page: