[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-57: BONAIRE BURNS

[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-57: BONAIRE BURNS

DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-57, April 23, 2000 edited by Glenn Hauser

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages}

** NETHERLANDS ANTILLES. I have just received the bad news that there
has been a major fire at our Bonaire relay station. Apparently the
diesel generators have been totally destroyed, meaning there is no
power to run the station. I am not sure yet whether any of the
transmitters have been damaged. Clearly this is a major incident and
there is no chance of the station getting back on the air in the
short term. The good news is that I understand nobody has been
injured. I am sure that my colleagues at RN will be working as fast
as they can to work out an alternative schedule. The problem is
exacerbated by it being Easter weekend, with people away - not
everyone knows yet. As soon as I have any further news I will post it
here. (Andy Sennitt, Radio Netherlands, April 23, swprograms via
DXLD)

Terrible news! So that is why no 15565 from Belgium when checked at
2230 Sunday. But RN Spanish usual Bonaire frequencies 11715 and 15315
were very good, and synchronized; Flevo spare capacity. Announcement
at 2324 said 15315 would continue via Flevo, perhaps weaker in target
areas than usual. The English broadcast at 2330 was on 9845 but not
6165. At end of news they said Bonaire station had been destroyed by
fire and services to the Americas, West Africa, Australia and New
Zealand would be disrupted for some time. I expect RN and other
Bonaire clients may be showing up from strange places, maybe IBB USA
sites, and will try to appear on as many of the scheduled frequencies
as possible. So far there is no mention of this on the homepage
http://www.rnw.nl (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)           ###