[HCDX]: This time it's the Solomons!

4/27/00 starting at 1058Z (approximate)

RF: 5019.935 KHz

Signal strength: –88 dBm

SINPO 33343 [Station is easily heard with minor QRM from some digital signal in 8 KHz AM mode which is eliminated by going to LSB.]

Program details:

Male in English, mentioned time coming up on 10 o’clock [local, I presume] and fact that there is flooding on Guadalcanal. Then some “island music” followed by BBC news at about 1101Z. News ID’d as BBC at about 1113Z by female in English. Then female talking about some insecticides being sprayed by aircraft on locusts [100 billion of them!!!] on the move in Australia - worst infestation since 1955. News still going on at 1126Z. This “BBC” news may be being relayed from Australia, as WRTH 2000 mentions news being “local” at 1100Z but at other times as being from R. Australia. I wish they would finish the news and ID as SIBC. Anyway the 1100Z [sic] news is not local as far as I can tell.

At about 1131Z I almost get my wish as BBC news is gone and local male announcer returns with hot details of local goings on Friday and Saturday nights. Think I will pass on the festivities. Now, a male religious speaker speaking on after death goings on. I’m fading, but station isn’t. If my DAT is working, this has all been recorded for posterity.

Any mistakes here should be considered a product of listener being in minor torpor due to weird hour. My thanks to this listening event goes to my cat, who usually awakes me at about 4 a.m. to accompany her on her early a.m. visit to her litter box. She insists I escort her to garage, which she is afraid to enter unless I turn on the light.

Oh yes, another mistake was made, I believe, when in my last post I mentioned pre-amp on HF-1000 with a gain of 10 “dBm”. I think that should probably be 10 dB, not dBm.

Please post any errors you find. I will look forward to them when I awake later this morning. Next time I will use the litter box and let the cat do the SWL J

Thomas B. Roach

Listening with Watkins-Johnson HF-1000

Antenna: Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper

QTH: California's Sierra Nevada mountain foothills