[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-60 May 3

DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-60, May 3, 2000 edited by Glenn Hauser

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages. DXLD may not be reposted in
its entirety without permission}

** ALBANIA. R. Tirana English to NAm, UT Wed April 19 at 0145 was on
6120 instead of 6115. No show on //7160; much QRM from hams on 7160.3
LSB. At 0230 on 6120 again, no 7160. Persistent hams on 7160.5 LSB
(Bob Thomas, CT, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Is Tirana actually on 6115.0 or
6120.0, or varying in between? (gh, DXLD)

** ALBANIA. R. Tirana, 9540.05 at new English time of 2130-2200,
news, commentary, ID //7130.07 April 21 (Brian Alexander, PA, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** AZERBAIJAN. As far as unID on 9155 is concerned, V. of Azerbaijan
is on both 9165 and 9155 (1500-1700 s-off). Most likely AZE is testing
a new tx on 9155, modulation quality is fine. Noted today with
continious mx/songs, which sounded like Azerbaijani (Nick Pashkevich,
Russia, Apr 19, BC-DX via DXLD)

** BELGIUM [and non]. RVI in English at 2230 Sunday April 30 on 15565
had a weaker pre-echo throughout. Either this was a feed problem, or
more likely it was running BOTH from Belgium and from temporary
Antigua relay replacing Bonaire (or was it Bonaire, revived by
then?). In any event the two sites ought to keep in touch to avoid
self-interference! (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BHUTAN. After many years of silence, the "Kingdom of Bhutan" is
finally on air thanks to the help of Jim Smith, VK9NS, now signing
A52JS. Not only is Jim active, but a local resident of Bhutan is
active also. Tuji Yonten, A51TY, has waited a long time to be active
again. Hopefully, this is the start for more activity from this rare
and wanted entity. For those who missed the two press releases by
Jim/VK9NS ...in short, Tuji Yonten, A51TY, made his first CW and SSB
QSOs on 20 meters. The CW QSO was with Pavel, RW0JR, on 20 meters.
The SSB QSO was made later with Kirsti, VK9NL, on 20 meters. The
logged time for START was 1201z, April 27th, 2000. Incidentally, Jim
also made his first CW QSO with Pavel, RW0JR, at 1216z on 20 meters
and later at 1252z his first SSB QSO with Vidi, VU2DVP, on 20 meters.
Over the past weekend, Jim has been heard mainly on 15/20 meters CW.
There has been some reports on SSB and 17 meters activity. Jim was
heard saying that he would be in Bhutan for the next 4 weeks. QSL
A52JS in the normal manner direct to HIDXA, PO Box 90, Norfolk
Island, NI 2899, Australia. For BUREAU QSLING, Jim states, "All
stations wishing to use the QSL bureau system are requested NOT to
DUMP A52JS QSL cards into the bureau - they will get nowhere right
now. PLEASE wait for an announcement to be made in a few weeks time
once I get back to the UK and make some sort of arrangement for the
handling of Bureau QSLs."

ADDED REMINDER: The larger A5 operation is scheduled for this week
between May 3-12th. The last of the 15 operators are scheduled to
arrive on May 2nd. The DXpeditions Web page has been moved to:
http://www.qsl.net/bhutan2000

You will find the operators profile, sponsors, log uploads,
propagation links and updated details, press releases and pictures.
QSL via W0GJ. (KB8NW/OPDX/BARF80 May 1 via John Norfolk, OKCOK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. New news sounders for RCI. I think they started these on
Tuesday morning Montreal time. (Ricky Leong, Quebec, May 2, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

About time! The old ones were driving me nuts. BTW, a US-owned ad
agency in Toronto has been contracted to develop a totally new image
for CBC (English Television) per a May 2 Globe & Mail story via Mike
Cooper. This could mean the end of the exploding pizza. Also, CBC
`Radio` 3 will go ahead as a webcast only (gh)

** CANADA. Radio Canada International moving to new HQ : Text of
press release from Radio Canada International on 28th April

Montreal, 25th April: On 1st May, Radio Canada International,
Canada's voice to the world, will move to new premises in the Radio
Canada building in Montreal. At the heart of these new facilities is
the newsroom; each job station is equipped with DALET. Three digital
studios and seven booths will be used to broadcast the 200 hours of
weekly production in eight languages. New address: Radio Canada
International 1400 Rene Levesque Blvd. East Level B Montreal, Quebec
H2L 2M2 The phone (514-597-7500) and fax (514-597-7076) numbers as
well as the internet address (http://www.rcinet.ca), the e-mail
(rci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and the postal box (PO Box 6000, H3C
3A8) will remain the same. Source: Radio Canada International,
Montreal, in English 28 Apr 00 (via BBC Monitoring via DXLD)

** CANADA. R. Japan via Sackville, April 22 at 0020-0035+ on spur
6205 in English news, local pops, ID, Asia In Focus; weak // new
strong 6145 (Brian Alexander, PA, DX LISTENING DIGEST) That would be
a mix with 6175 BBC relay. RCI already produces mixing product on
6205 from two other frequencies, 6015 and 6110 in the 0500 hour! (gh,
DXLD)

** CANADA/VIETNAM. I'm sending you an article about the execution by
firing squad of a Canadian in Vietnam. Perhaps RCI should reconsider
its relay of VoV. (Ivan Grishin, Ont., Apr 27, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA/VIETNAM. The Toronto Star - News

Toronto woman executed despite pleas to Vietnam, Death by firing squad

By Dale Anne Freed Toronto Star Staff Reporter

 Canadian officials are outraged over the secret execution of a
 Toronto woman jailed in Vietnam despite frantic international
 efforts to save her life.

 Nguyen Thi Hiep, 42, who was convicted in a Hanoi court in March,
 1997, of smuggling 5.4 kilograms of heroin, was shot by a firing
 squad at dawn Monday.

 The death of Nguyen, the only Canadian known to have been executed
 anywhere in the world on a drug-related charge, could chill
 relations between Canada and Vietnam, Canadian officials said
 yesterday.

 Up to the day of her execution, Toronto police had been
 investigating whether Nguyen, who was born in Vietnam and became a
 Canadian citizen in 1982, was being used as an unsuspecting mule by
 an organized drug ring.

 Canadian authorities want to know why the Vietnamese government
 didn't wait to examine a 50-page document prepared by Detective Carl
 Noll and Detective Constable John Green of the Toronto police heroin
 unit. They had investigated the international drug ring that
 involved Nguyen, Doiron said.

 In the three years until her execution, Nguyen had been shackled in
 a squalid rat-infested jail cell while international appeals from
 Prime Minister Jean Chretien, Axworthy, U.S. President Bill
 Clinton, Rev. Jesse Jackson, former boxing great Rubin (Hurricane)
 Carter, Amnesty International, the Association in Defence of the
 Wrongly Convicted and the woman's family appealed for clemency - but
 all were ignored. (excerpts from the Toronto Star, via Ivan Grishin,
 April 27, DXLD)

** CANADA/VIETNAM. With the Canadian government taking the first
steps toward full-blown diplomatic and economic sanctions against
Vietnam for the execution of Canadian Nguyen Thi Hiep on drug
smuggling charges, look for the possible end of the Voice of Vietnam
relays via Radio Canada International... But yet again, does the
Canadian government even know that RCI exists? Just a thought! 73
(Mickey Delmage, Sherwood Park, Alberta, hard-core-dx April 28 via
DXLD)

** CANADA/VIETNAM. Glenn, 9695 0100-0200 May 2 had the VOV relay
missing, played rock & country music instead. Has this anything to do
with the execution? (Ivan Grishin, Ont.) And again at various checks
0135, 0223, 0247 May 3 was rock music fill instead, but 9695 still
paused for beam change at 0159-0200, off at 0257* and more of the
same on 9795 after 0300. I`d think the transmitter would just be
turned off if Canada decided to cancel it (gh, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

[Earlier:] Glenn, We heard some operatic selections from La Traviata
before the 0230 VoV English broadcast April 26 on 9695. A welcome
change from the rock music they normally play between broadcasts.
Much as I enjoy Verdi, wouldn't it be nice if they had some
Vietnamese music as filler? (Ivan Grishin, Ont., DX LISTENING DIGEST)