[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-70, May 26

[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-70, May 26

DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-70, May 26, 2000 edited by Glenn Hauser

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages and such publications be sent
to us in exchange. DXLD may not be reposted in its entirety without
permission. BBC Monitoring items are copyright and may not be
reproduced further without pemission}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 1037: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wor1037.html

MEDIA NEWS ON VOA COMMUNICATIONS WORLD this week is provided by Glenn
Hauser. First airing is UT Sat May 27 at 0132 on 9455, etc. Full
schedule available by sending blank E-mail to cwschedule@xxxxxxx Note
that the WBCQ 7415 time, even during DST, now appears on their
website as Sunday 2100 instead of 2000, tho reception is so poor here
at both times we have been unable to confirm

CONTINENT OF MEDIA 00-04. A new edition has been produced and should
start appearing shortly at http://www.DXing.com and on Radio for
Peace International. Topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/com0004.html

DX PROGRAMS. The Summer 2000 DX and Media Programme Schedule List
from the British DX Club is now on line at
http://www.co.umist.ac.uk/BDXC/bdxc-dxprog.html (John Norfolk, OKCOK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BURMA [non]. Thunderbird, the online journalism review of the
University of British Columbia, features an article on the trouble
VOA, RFA, and Democratic Voice of Burma have in newsgathering and
broadcasting into Myanmar; along with three previous articles on
press freedom in Malaysia, Philippines and Burma:
http://www.journalism.ubc.ca/thunderbird/2000/march/burma.html
(Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 1037, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. CFVP 6030 is relaying CKMX (MW 1060 Calgary), both 24 hrs
a day, 100 watts. The Chief Engineer told me that occasionally they
are off the air in the summer due to lightning strikes. It can take a
few days to find the time to get CFVP back on the air. The station`s
owner is not concerned with this low powered transmitter; it is one
of the last 3 Canadian SW regionals left on the air. The station
engineers often donate their own time/money to keep this relay
transmitter on the air. Address: CFVP c/o CKMX, PO Box 2750, Station
M, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2P-4P8 (Joe Talbot, Alberta, DSWCI DX
Mirror June via DXLD)

** CHINA [non]. How come at 0300 I heard CRI English 9690 also on
9475, no Cairo? CRI no longer announces sked at closing (Bob Thomas,
CT, May 19, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** COLOMBIA. Instead of Colombia Estereo 93.4, previously heard on
4895, Radio 88.9 FM La Súper Estación, desde Santa Fé de Bogotá, was
heard May 11 at 0030 with echo ID as ``HJJO la Súper Estación``;
promos for the Armada Nacional, some ads for chocolate, a café and a
jingle for Bacardi. Gave this address: Carrera 16-A, No. 87-78,
Bogotá, Colombia. Unfortunately, the audio was somewhat distorted.
Does this station belong to the national army network CREER or not?
(Jorge García Rangel, Venezuela, Banda Tropical, Club Diexistas de la
Amistad May 22, summary translation by gh for DXLD)

** COSTA RICA. RFPI is looking for a new frequency in the 21 MHz band
for its SSB transmitter, so it is unlikely 25930-USB will resume (gh,
May 25, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUATEMALA. R. Verdad, 4052.5, Chiquimula, confirmed signing on
earlier now; May 24 *1100 with anthem, but not followed by history-
of-anthem talk, 1105 into previously heard evangelical show. Best
strength here in a long time, but steadily fading into daylight
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST, WORLD OF RADIO 1037)

** GUATEMALA. R. Verdad, 4052.49, poor May 5, 1133 long Guat NA until
1137, canned ID with echo effect, hard to copy due to heavy utility
QRM. Tnx DXLD for many tips (Shoji Yamada, Tokyo, Radio Nuevo Mundo
via DXLD)

** GUATEMALA. R. Verdad, 4052.51, poor April 27 *1127-1141, NA, music
and 1133 ID (Masato Ishii, Niigata, Japan, Radio Nuevo Mundo via
DXLD)

** JAPAN. NHK Radio Japan commemorates its 65th anniversary June 1st.
From May 29th to June 9th, NHK will be offering a special website
with some English programming on demand, along with special
interactive radio programs and news scripts. There might also be
special shortwave programming at this time. The special URL will be
http://www.nhk.or.jp/dream/. Currently this URL leads to a "page not
available" message. (Richard Cuff Allentown, PA, swprograms May 25
via DXLD) Actually, it says ``This page not made to view.`` (gh)
The website is up and running, but English is here:
http://www.nhk.or.jp/index-e.html 73, (Peter Bowen Toronto, Canada,
May 25, swprograms via DXLD) Look at the art gallery; nice (gh)

** JAPAN. This is from the What`s New section: Dream Web Site
We will carry out a series of experiments from May 29th to June 9 to
commemorate the anniversary. On our homepage, we will provide our
audio news service in 22 languages on demand together with news
scripts matching the audio service. We will also provide the English
TV news and the scripts on our homepage.

Messages from international broadcasting organizations on this
occasion will be provided as well as introductory information on our
Radio Japan in a special audio service in each language. We are also
planning to provide interactive radio programs in several language
services on the internet. You will find our special homepage
amazingly rich in variety. Please do contact us at the following
address:  URL: http://www.nhk.or.jp/dream/
E-mail: dream@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (NHK May 26 via gh, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MONGOLIA. Glenn-- This morning I heard Voice of Mongolia at 1032
UTC with female talk in English, then music; very loud signal on
12085, incredible reception for late in the spring; perhaps high MUF
to North Asia could be reason for such a good signal in the eastern
USA. (Joe Hanlon in Philadelphia, May 25, DX LISTENING DIGEST)
Believe I noticed this too, but too drowsy to appreciate (gh)

** NETHERLANDS ANTILLES. Hi Glenn, FYI: Maintenance work on one of
the temporary generators at Bonaire has been completed. Normal
transmissions from Bonaire resume as of 1730 UTC on 26 May. 73, (Andy
Sennitt, RN, May 26, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. 13:12 26/05/00 Greetings from New Zealand. Here is an
update from RADIO NEW ZEALAND INTERNATIONAL. RNZI has extended
transmission by one hour and now closes transmission at 1305 UTC.
FREQUENCY SCHEDULE 26 May - 03 September 2000
UTC kHz Days Target
1650-1850 6145 (49m) Mon-Fri N.E. Pacific, Samoa, Cook Islands
1851-1950 11725 (25m) Mon-Fri All Pacific
1855-1950 11725 Sat-Sun All Pacific
1951-0705 17675 (16m) Daily All Pacific
1955-0705 17675 Sat-Sun All Pacific
0706-0959 11720 (25m) Daily All Pacific
1000-1305 11720 N.W. Pacific, Bougainville, East Timor, Asia
OFF-AIR 1205-1650 [sic]
Occasional Use for Special Events
1306-1505 6100
1506-1650 6145
(Adrian Sainsbury, Frequency Manager, Radio New Zealand,
International, P O Box 123, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND
http://www.rnzi.com , DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. Radio Mayak to cut staff, change style | Excerpts from
"DX Club" report via Voice of Russia web site on 23rd May

...At the end of April there was a presentation at the newly-formed
Mayak radio, which is now broadcasting on FM, the web site of Voice
of Russia?s ``DX Club`` reported on 17th May. The management, headed
by Irina Gerasimova, has decided changes were needed at the radio
station: changes in the style, slot distribution and personnel. Forty
new people have now been employed, but there are plans to make the
same number of staff redundant.

First Deputy Chairman of the radio station Oleg Kupriyanov has told
?Nezavisimaya Gazeta? that despite the need for changes, Mayak may
well have to lose some of its listeners. ``My personal view is that
Mayak in its new form is reminiscent of a helpless and pitiable
parody of the Ekho Moskvy radio rather than a serious news station...
After all, in order to be able to afford Mayak?s current 10 deputy
chairmen, one will have to sack the several dozen people who actually
do the work: otherwise where is the money to feed such a large gang
of bosses?`` Kupriyanov charged, according to ``DX Club``.
Source: Voice of Russia web site, Moscow, in Russian 23 May 00 (BBC
Monitoring via DXLD)

** RUSSIA. Weak and fluttery signal here at 1547 UT Friday May 26 on 15410 for the Mayak special; but then it is aimed at Moscow, the Riviera and Buenos Aires. I suppose the special is entirely in Russian? Try again Sat and Sun (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** UKRAINE. RUI English to NAm at 0300 on 13590 faithfully showing up
as of May 19; slight co-channel half-way [Iran 0330] (Bob Thomas, CT, WORLD OF RADIO 1037, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** UKRAINE. 13590, Radio Ukraine International heard here again May
21 at 0300 in English, with fair reception, gone totally when
rechecked about 0345. Not sure if this indeed is the 1000 kW
transmitter in Lviv back on the air, or a substitute 100 kW.
Propagation is too poor to be sure (Volodya Salmaniw, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. The feature on shortwave numbers stations I produced airs
on Lost and Found Sound Friday May 26 on NPR`s All Things Considered,
first at 2035 UT and repeated 2-hourly; soon also available in the
archive at http://www.lostandfoundsound.com (David Goren, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)                         ###