[HCDX]: Slinky Beverage, Alpha Delta, etc

[HCDX]: Slinky Beverage, Alpha Delta, etc

   Ok, the slinky beverage experiment was not a rousing success, I believe
due to the fact that I dont have the room necessary to extend the slinkies
far enough. The slinky beverage was very quiet across all bands and I will
feet of a straight line I would give it a shot, its really inexpensive. Take
6 slinkies and solder them together and stretch them between 2 points 6-10
ft above the ground. The Alpha Delta proved to be somewhat of a
disappointment, I attribute this to my being unable to get it far enough
away from my house. it perfromed comparable to my horizontal loop on the
higher frequencies, but performance degraded considerably from 60 meter on
down. If you have a nice clear space this should be a really great antenna.
So with a bunch of slinkies laying around I thought I would resurrect my 23
ft. vertical made of aluminum tubing. I placed the tubing on top of a 8 foot
section of PVC wound with about 700 ft of insulated wire (This was from a
prior broomstick experiment) . I placed the whole conraption against a tree.
I fed it with ladderline into a 4:1 balun.For radials I placed a wire ring
around the base of the tree with a lead up to the ground end of the
ladderline. From there a ran a long wire around the perimeter of the
backyard culminating with 3 of the slinkies stretched along the far fence. I
just now put up 2 more slinkies in the radial system and am going to try 2
more later. So far this thing has been a pretty good performer, as well as
the loop on most bands.
    Haven't done a lot of listening but I did notice PNG on 4890 on till way
past my sunrise here in No. Cal, also the other morning it seemed all the
Indonesians were synced with Jakarta. I did manage to get a clear signal
from Lesotho, do they accept tape verification reports?
    On my logging program front...I am about finished with the Add New Log
section, it has taken a lot longer than I thought since I keep adding stuff,
like it will download the lates wwv report and grab the Flux , K , and A
index values and place them in the log. I also learned of the 27 day cycle
so Im adding a flag to remind you if its time to listen again. But its
looking pretty good.

Patrick Buckingham
Drake R8, MFJ 1045C, MFJ 941D
230 ft Horizintal Loop, 23 ft Loaded Vertical, Alpha Delta Dx-Swl Sloper
Davis, Ca