[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-73 June 10

[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-73 June 10

DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-73, June 10, 2000 edited by Glenn Hauser, wghauser@xxxxxxxxxxx

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 1039: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wor1039.html

RADIO ENLACE: Nuestro primer informe DX de junio se transmite el
viernes 9 y domingo 11.

WORLD OF RADIO AND CONTINENT OF MEDIA
SHORTWAVE-ONLY SCHEDULE AS OF JUNE 10, 2000

Days and times strictly UT. RFPI 25930-USB went off May 19 and the
USB transmitter may not be back for some time, as the present unit
may be converted to AM for X-band. RFPI frequency usage is flexible,
so check each beyond the hours shown.

Wed 2330 WOR WBCQ1 7415
Thu 2030 WOR WWCR 15685
Fri 0930 WOR WWCR 7435
Fri 1900 COM RFPI 15049
Fri 1930 WOR RFPI 15049
Fri 2030 WOR WBCQ2 9330-CUSB [irregular]
Sat 0300 COM RFPI 15049 6970
Sat 0330 WOR RFPI 15049 6970
Sat 0300 WOR WWCR 3215
Sat 1100 COM RFPI 6970
Sat 1130 WOR RFPI 6970
Sat 1130 WOR WWCR 15685
Sat 1730 COM RFPI 15049
Sat 1800 WOR RFPI 15049
Sun 0130 COM RFPI 15049 6970
Sun 0200 WOR RFPI 15049 6970
Sun 0230 WOR WWCR 5070
Sun 0630 WOR WWCR 5070
Sun 0930 COM RFPI 6970
Sun 1000 WOR RFPI 6970
Sun 2300 WOR RFPI 15049
Mon 0026 WOR WWCR 9475 [may shift to Sun 2330]
Mon 0501 WOR WWCR 3210
Mon 0700 WOR RFPI 6970
Mon 1500 WOR RFPI 15049
Tue 1100 WOR WWCR 15685
Tue 1900 WOR RFPI 15049
Tue 2000 COM RFPI 15049
Wed 0300 WOR RFPI 15049 6970
Wed 0400 COM RFPI 15049 6970
Wed 1100 WOR RFPI [suspended]
Wed 1200 COM RFPI [suspended]
Wed 1730 COM RFPI 15049

For latest updates and complete details of all our broadcasts
see http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio

WOR is also available at
http://www.wrn.org/ondemand/worldofradio.html
COM is also available at http://www.DXing.com
WOR is also streamed when broadcast on WBCQ1 at http://wbcq.com
WOR is also streamed (via SW pickup in USA) when on RFPI at
http://www.rfpi.org/webcast.html

Glenn Hauser, inviting you to be a regular listener to WOR and COM

** AUSTRALIA. This report from ABC News Online gives a little more
information regarding the negotiations over RA's use of Darwin. CV is
not saying an unequivocal ``no``, it seems; it`s arguing that under
the existing draft legislation approving its lease, CV would have to
be responsible for everything broadcast from Darwin. It doesn`t want
to be, if it has to share. It's a fair point. From ABC News Online...

Christians hestitant to share air with ABC

A Christian broadcasting organisation says sharing air time with
Radio Australia from the Cox Peninsula transmitters near Darwin would
be difficult. The British evangelical Christian Voice has bought a
10-year lease on the former Radio Australia transmitters to broadcast
to Asia. Director Mike Edmiston says he has been approached by the
ABC about the idea of sharing air space with Radio Australia. He says
under the legislation, Christian Voice would be responsible for
everything that goes to air, which may be untenable to Radio
Australia, as there may have to be some editorial input. ``Not
necessarily control but on the other hand, we don't want to inherit a
responsibility for what is said by Radio Australia, which is the way
it's currently framed in draft legislation," he said.`` (via John
Figliozzi, swprograms via DXLD)

[That last paragraph is an interesting and telling statement (at
least to me) on several counts. First, it says that Christian Voice
views its message as essentially benign (as underlined by other
articles posted in this list carrying statements by CV principals)
and is worried about political messages emanating from the same
transmitters it is using that might be at odds with the message CV is
broadcasting. Second, it evidences some degree of misunderstanding on
the part of CV about listeners, who will not confuse the stations
because they are using the same transmitters since transmitters don't
identify themselves (e.g., The ID won't be ``This is Radio Australia
broadcasting from Christian Voice-leased transmitters.``).

Only a very few listeners (such as enthusiasts and hobbyists) will
know or even care. Third, despite the evidently ``soft sell`` nature
of the CV product, radical religious fundamentalist elements within
the target countries will be energized and motivated by CV
transmissions far more than CV or the Australian government realize.
Those who argue the opposite point of view, IMHO, are wholly
unfamiliar with the socio-political dynamics in this region of the
world and its growing institutional instabilities and internal
polarizations.

Fourth, there is obviously a great deal of maneuvering going on
behind the scenes--perhaps pressure from elements within the
Australian Parliament, perhaps of some even within the government,
supportive of RA and the ABC, on CV to allow use by RA in exchange
for approval of the lease agreement. CV's statement is probably a
reaction to that pressure and an attempt to resist it. Ultimately,
the question of whether and how RA will get access to Darwin is
probably tied up with how badly CV wants use of Darwin and whether
those elements supportive of RA in Parliament have enough clout to
block approval of the lease if CV in the end refuses RA's entreaties.
From Radio Australia's point of view, I can almost hear the
newsreader choking as he reads this statement by CV. It must be a
bitter pill to swallow to have to go hat in hand to a foreign
corporation to gain its permission to gain limited use what was once
its own facility and be presented with this insulting (to RA)
statement.] (John Figliozzi, NY, swprograms via DXLD)

** AUSTRALIA. What a waste of resources for the Darwin txs to be
handed over to yet another religious sender. The Australian govt
should be ashamed! Maybe the money they will receive means more than
reaching an external audience by radio (Noël R. Green, UK, Jun 2, BC-
DX via DXLD)

For example, the Australians should hold strict strong negotiations
to hand out a contract with guarantee to get access for R Australia
at this facility. Like the Greeks always have done with the US
embassy in Athens to get free airtime for Greek Radio on Rhodes,
former Thessaloniki and now Kavalla relay sites (Wolfgang Büschel,
Germany, BC-DX via DXLD)

I think they preferred Christian Vision because this operator will
carry meaningless stuff only, somewhat contrary to what at least a
part of Merlin customers do (Kai Ludwig, Germany, June 3, BC-DX via
DXLD)

** AUSTRALIA. From R. Australia`s Feedback Friday June 2 at 2105: CV
hopes to run tests from the end of August, and commence full
programming from early September. They appear to see their initial
primary audience in the Indian sub-continent, and will commence pxs
in English only, as they like to have their stations running in a
single language apparently.  They feel as though they can fill up
their primary airtime, 12-14 hrs to the ISC, with their own
programmes, and seem unwilling to rent out their txers to anyone else
other than inside these times, as they are able to fill these
broadcasts themselves. In time, they will want to broadcast to
mainland China, so will have to break their single language habit
(unless they intend teaching all of China Hindi before they start
their programmes) - they will make local language programmes for ISC
as soon as they have hired the staff. The studios are based in London
as you will know. (Phil Hodgson, Whitley Bay, UK, June 7, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRALIA. Hi Glenn, Here is today's chapter of this saga from the
Sydney Morning Herald. Fancy Radio Australia possibly negotiating to
buy time on what was "stolen" from them by dumb politicians! Regards,
(Barry Hartley, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND, June 7)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0006/07/national/national07.html

Radio Australia may lease Darwin outlet
By ANNE DAVIES

The ABC's shortwave radio service, Radio Australia, may be back
broadcasting from its powerful Darwin transmitter after the Christian
group which bought the facilities indicated it may sublease capacity
to the national broadcaster.

The ABC chairman, Mr Donald McDonald, said yesterday he had written
to the new owners of the Cox Peninsula site, Christian Voice, the
Australian subsidiary of the United Kingdom-based Christian Vision,
to ask if it would consider leasing excess capacity to the ABC.
``We have made an opening gambit, if you like, and I have sent a
letter this morning to the chairman of Christian Voice, telling them
we are anxious to talk with them.`` Mr McDonald told the ABC's The
World Today program.

``This is a very significant window of opportunity which the ABC
should seize. There are cost implications and we will need help and
encouragement from the Government in that regard. But I think this is
a moment full of possibilities for Radio Australia.`` he said.
The Government announced last week that it had sold equipment and
leased the old Radio Australia shortwave facilities at Cox Peninsula
to Christian Voice.

Christian Vision's Web site says it is ``a charitable company that
God has challenged to touch a billion people with the message of
Jesus`` through the media.

Christian Vision's Mr Tim Boxall said at the weekend that his
organisation would be prepared to look at leasing out excess capacity
at cost.

The subleasing deal for the Cox Peninsula transmitter would be a big
boost to Radio Australia, allowing it to restart broadcasts to South-
East Asia and China. But the key question for the ABC will again be
funding.

A spokesman for the Communications Minister, Senator Alston, said the
Government was happy for the ABC to negotiate but it was ``up to the
ABC to pursue that``. He refused to comment on whether Government
funds would be made available.

Radio Australia was all but axed after budget cuts made by the
Coalition Government in 1996 and 1997.

A report into the ABC and its charter by Mr Bob Mansfield, now
chairman of Telstra, found the ABC could not meet its international
broadcasting aspirations without hurting its domestic service.
Senator Alston backed the decision, saying shortwave technology was
outdated.

But Radio Australia was rescued by the Department of Foreign Affairs,
which provided enough funds to keep it broadcasting to the South
Pacific from its transmitter in Victoria.

The signal also reaches Timor and some Indonesian broadcasts have
continued. But the closure of the Cox Peninsula transmitter meant the
service disappeared from most of South-East Asia.

When the Timor crisis erupted last year, the ABC boosted its reach
into Indonesia by leasing two hours a day on a transmitter in Taiwan.
Mr Boxall indicated at the weekend that Christian Voice would want to
have ``strict editorial control`` over any broadcasts from its
transmitter.

Mr McDonald said Christian Voice would be controlling the
transmitters ``but they won't be controlling or influencing our
programming. That would be fundamental to any discussions.``
The Cox Peninsula transmitter can support up to five channels, so it
would be possible for the ABC to have an entirely separate channel
from Christian Voice.

Senator Alston yesterday faced questioning in his party room on the
issue. He said all applicants had passed the national interest test,
including Christian Vision. (Sydney Morning Herland June 7 via Barry
Hartley, DXLD)

** AUSTRALIA. http://www.smh.com.au/news/0006/07/text/national08.html

We might be Christians, but we're no nut cases Date: 07/06/2000

By SIMON MANN Herald Correspondent in London

Mr Bob Edmiston has spent millions of dollars spreading the Christian
word over the world's airwaves, especially to Third World countries.
The self-made British millionaire has explained his motivation
through  an imaginary conversation with his maker before the Gates of
Heaven:

``God asks me what I did with my life and I tell him I made loads of
money. Then God asks me what I did next and I said I made loads more
money. I could see this conversation heading in a very bad
direction.``

Mr Edmiston is the man behind the evangelistic broadcaster Christian
Vision, which two weeks ago won the tender to lease the Cox
Peninsula transmission facility, near Darwin, the old base for Radio
Australia.

Now he is considering Radio Australia's request to Christian Vision
for broadcast time from the Cox transmitter. But Mr Edmiston told
the Herald yesterday that any deal would depend on ``what they want
to broadcast and at what times``.

He dismissed as baseless suggestions that Christian Vision's message
could offend Australia's Muslim neighbours.

The former bank clerk - whose pay packet of £6.5 million (almost $17
million) made him Britain's second-best paid company director last
year - built his fortune from a £6,000 investment 26 years ago.

The 53-year-old Mr Edmiston, who was raised a Roman Catholic but was
drawn to the Pentecostals at 17, has poured in more than £30 million
of his own money since he founded Christian Vision 12 years ago. He
plans to commit up to £100 million.

Yesterday, he defended the group's latest move: ``We haven't even put
a word out on air and we've been castigated. We're straightforward
people who happen to have a sincere and profound faith in God. We're
not a bunch of whacky nut-cases.``

Christian Vision already operates shortwave radio services in
strife-torn central southern Africa and across Latin America,
broadcasting to a potential audience of more than 700 million
people. It runs a school in Zambia and funds missionaries in Third
World  countries. Ultimately, it wants five or so bases around the
globe.

The West Bromwich-based entrepreneur, whose [Toyota] car-importing
business and property interests are worth more than £300 million,
said he was stunned by the political fallout ``because the fact of
the matter is [Australia] hasn't been using the Cox site since '97.``

Mr Edmiston insists Christian Vision understands regional and
cultural differences.

``Our objective is to introduce people to Jesus,`` Mr Edmiston said.
``Muslims regard Jesus and revere him as a prophet ... They believe
he was a miracle worker, they believe he will come again and they
don't even believe that Mohammad was the greatest prophet, just the
last one.``

The group broadcasts a mix of Christian music and comment, education
and health matters, news and entertainment.

``Of course there's a Christian bias or emphasis to it but it's not
Bible thumping and stuffing it down people's throats because that
wouldn't achieve anything,`` Mr Edmiston said. (Sydney Morning Herald
via Daniel Say, swprograms via DXLD, WORLD OF RADIO 1039)

hmmm. Is Edmiston the guy who runs Stagecoach and had some odd
campaigns in Scotland/England recently? The name seems familiar and
it seems his ego must have surfaced before. (Daniel Say, swprograms
via DXLD)

** AUSTRALIA. Didn`t see his name amongst current Stagecoach
directors or senior management. Came across a brief profile at the
Diocese of Lichfield newsletter,
http://www.lichfield.anglican.org/spot/mar00.htm. A search of the
Guardian Newspaper archives turned up a mention of him as one of the
UK's largest philanthropists,
http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,3961640,00.
html. That article cites him as ``sole owner of car importers IM
Group``. It appears the company is the importer of Toyotas for the
UK, according to a legal mention of an advertising challenge, which
found the company's advertising to be OK. Very few other listings of
relevance came up in a Google search. Edmiston's demeanor in the
article Daniel Say quoted seems to be in line with HCJB's approach to
evangelism, particularly when considering HCJB-produced programs.
(Richard Cuff, Allentown, PA, swprograms via DXLD)

** AUSTRALIA. From Tuesday's edition of The Australian:

Doubt on cash risk to radio over Asia
By MICHELLE GILCHRIST 06jun00

RADIO Australia risks losing all shortwave radio coverage over most
of South-East Asia in August when its temporary lease from a Taiwan
transmitter expires, after both Radio Australia and the ABC said
yesterday they had no money to renew the lease.

The new concerns about Radio Australia's Asian coverage came as Labor
said yesterday it would attempt to guarantee the broadcaster's access
to the Cox Peninsula shortwave transmitter in Darwin, which was sold
last week to a religious broadcaster.

Radio Australia lost coverage over most of South-East Asia when the
Cox transmitter was closed in 1997. Since last September, the Taiwan
transmitter has provided two hours of shortwave tranmission a day
into an area including most of Indonesia west of Bali, Singapore,
Malaysia and parts of The Philippines.

That area also receives a satellite broadcast of Radio Australia that
can only be picked up by those with satellite dishes, which Radio
Australia estimated yesterday was a "handful" of people.

Such dishes are illegal in some parts of Asia, including Singapore
and Malaysia. Radio Australia is also transmitted by some local radio
stations throughout Asia. But  retransmission does not usually
include news and current affairs, which are regarded as too
controversial.

The Taiwan lease was negotiated last year after the fall of the
Suharto government in Indonesia. Radio Australia also tried to
negotiate airtime from a transmitter in Singapore but was rejected by
the Singapore Government, which did not want to offend Indonesia.

Radio Australia general manager Jean-Gabriel Manguy said yesterday
money to renew the Taiwan lease, which expires on August 31, would
have to come from the ABC as Radio Australia had no budget allocation
for such leases.

But the ABC yesterday referred to comments made by chairman Donald
McDonald on Friday, when he said the Taiwan lease "constituted a
budgetary drain that the ABC could not sustain indefinitely".

The ABC asked for extra money to cover Radio Australia's private
leases in this year's federal Budget, a request that was rejected.

The Taiwan transmitter is operated by Merlin International, a former
division of the BBC that also wanted to buy Cox Peninsula. But the
Cox equipment, and a 10-year lease on its land, was sold last week to
British evangelical group Christian Vision International.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said yesterday Radio Australia was
serving the region well with satellite, internet and shortwave
broadcasts. He also said he was not concerned that a Christian
broadcaster would use Australia as its Asian base.

``Who does broadcast from Australia isn't so much the issue, it's
what is broadcast,`` Mr Downer said.

``Provided the material isn't provocative and abusive of our
neighbours, I don't see it as being a particular problem.`` (The
Australian, June 6, via Paul Ormandy, NZ; and via John Figliozzi,
swprogrmas via DXLD)

[Personal aside :  If Downer truly believes that the broadcasting of
fundamentalist Christian programming from Australian soil into often
volatile areas of the world where the populations are overwhelmingly
Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist (or officially atheistic as in China) will
not be viewed as provocative, then his perception of history and
events in South and Southeast Asia is sorely lacking.  This American
observer wonders whether the lack of appreciation for the work and
role of Radio Australia within the Australian Government stems from
some illogical hubris or just plain stupidity.] (John Figliozzi,
swprograms via DXLD, WORLD OF RADIO 1039)

** AUSTRALIA. Excerpt of Canberra Times editorial, June 8:

The Federal Government does not seem to care that it has lost an
unparalleled opportunity to have Australian views and Australian news
beamed to its neighbours, by a respected practitioner operating
according to the principles of a free press, at a time when
misinformation about Australia's motives is rife in the region. The
wild allegations which were made about Australia's real "agenda" in
East Timor, at the time of the independence vote, showed clearly the
need for a balanced and unbiased coverage of regional affairs,
broadcast to the region.

At the same time, the Government seems incapable of realising that by
leasing the Cox transmitter to an organisation which has the stated
aim of spreading a narrow and judgmental Christian message into a
(largely Muslim) part of the world already racked by considerable
religious violence, it might not be acting in the best interests of a
ostensibly secular and tolerant country like Australia. (via John
Figliozzi, swprograms via DXLD)

** AUSTRALIA. RA`s Feedback this week deals mostly with the CV issue,
including an interview with Edmiston. Says he plans to add two more
SW outlets after this to cover the world, for a total of five. Last
airing is UT Sun June 11 at 0330; webcast http://www.abc.net.au/ra
(Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AZERBAIJAN. R. Dada Gorgud noted on NF 6110 (ex 9165): 1600-1700
Arabic (44544) over Brother Stair. 1700-1730 English (45544)
announced winter time & freq. 1730-1800 Russian (44544) over Swiss
Radio International in German (Observer, Bulgaria, June 5 via DXLD)

** BELARUS/RUSSIA. Mayak Belarus shortwave frequencies | Text of ``DX
Club`` report via Voice of Russia web site on 2nd June

Radio Mayak from Moscow is relayed in Belarus between 1800 and 2100
[gmt] on feeder channels 2738 and 2829 kHz; between 1200 and 1400 on
4855 kHz; between 0300 and 1800 on 4982 and 5134 kHz. Broadcasting is
in upper side band. Belarus Radio's 1st Programme can be heard from
0300 on the following frequencies: 6010, 6040, 6070, 6080, 6115,
6190, 7105, 7110, 7145, 7210 and 11960 kHz. The second republican
programme is broadcast between 0400 and 2100 on 7265 kHz. Source:
Voice of Russia web site, Moscow, in Russian 2 Jun 00 (via BBC
Monitoring via DXLD)

** BOLIVIA. 6134.78, Radio Santa Cruz 0923 June 9, Excellent signal
during ad block with ID and public service announcements. Slight het
from presumed R. Aparecida on 6135.1.

On 4702.23, Radio Eco 0022 June 9, Weak but clear signal. ``Eco San
Borja`` canned ID. Spanish pop music (Mark Mohrmann, Coventry, VT, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** BOLIVIA. On 4702.4, Radio Eco San Borja, 2304-2320 June 3: Full
ID: ``...Para Bolivia, América y el mundo transmite Eco San Borja,
4700 kHz, banda internacional de 60 metros onda corta tropical, desde
San Borja, Beni, contigo desde Beni...`` Advs. Violencia Familiar,
Vicariato de Beni. After the pgm: El Servicio Social y El Mensaje.

On 4716.7, Radio Yura, 2324-0030 June 3: Mensajes y Avisos in SS,
``...La Parroquia de Yura informa que están abiertos los cursos...
seguimos dándoles a concocer los avisos llegados a esta casa
radial...`` then music with the grupo Eclipse (Cumbia Tropical).
Continually they mention this QTH: Calle Sucre No. 69 and this Tel.:
24192, but I believe that it is not the address and telephone of the
radio station, but of Yura's community center. Noted S/off @ 0125
(Rafael Rodríguez R., Bogotá, Colombia, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also
PERU

** CANADA. CFRX 6070 Toronto has been off the air for a while. It is
back on now at 1859 UTC on May 30 (Joe Buch, DE, swprograms via DXLD)

** CANADA. 6070 CFRX is back on the air after a short time off air
due to damage to the antenna tuning unit. There is still some work to
be done with the audio levels for CFRX. A new solid-state 50 KW
transmitter is now in operation from CFRB 1010. The new solid-state
transmitter is made by Nautel. They still use the old Continental
transmitter. They switch between the two on a daily basis. (Steve
Canney, Ont, Jun 7, Cumbre DX via DXLD)

** CANADA. CFVP in Calgary, Alberta, Canada probably made its 100
watts signal through the aurora belt to Denmark with the direct path
passing Nuuk on Greenland. 6030 CFVP Calgary (tentative), June 9,
0345-0400, faint signal coming through much noise on this frequency
while SWR3, Germany was off. Most of the time fast talks in English
with North American accent and one song. No ID heard, but Joe Talbot
living 155 km north of the station a few weeks confirmed that it is
broadcasting 24 hours a day relaying CKMX. SINPO here 22232 until
SWR3 signed on exactly at 0400 and covered the frequency (Anker
Petersen, Denmark, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. RCI/CBC Preview for June 11: ROOTS & WINGS -- June is
Accordion month on Roots & Wings, as Philly Markowitz celebrates the
annual "free-reed" festival with a 2-part show featuring accordions
and their kin from around the world. Born in Austria in 1829, the
accordion quickly spread across Europe. Now it's heard in Latin
America, Cajun Louisiana and much more: how about Cape Verde, Belize,
Madagascar, Reunion Island, Pakistan, and Angola? You'll hear them
all this week and next on Roots & Wings. And find out how to win a
brand-new accordion of your own from RootsWorld, the free-reed
festival's online host and sponsor. Sunday 2305-2359 on 5960, 9755,
11895, 13670, 15305, 17695 kHz. (CBC Hotsheet via Joe Buch,
swprograms, via DXLD)

** CHIAPAS [non]. La Voz del Zapatistas [sic]: 13910/U, *2214-2220+,
3-June; Rerun ``Panorama de Chiapas`` px; M&W/SS cmtry on Mex
province; SIO=353 (Harold Frodge, MI, MARE Tipsheet via DXLD)
KIPM, Illuminati Prima Materia (Lula & e-mail) 13910/U, 6/3 2112-
0006; marathon session; pxs included Electro Magnetic Madness, Voice
of Chiapas (Zapatistas) in SS, Strange Cargo & The Truth. I checked
again at 0127 & KIPM was still on with px Secret Bonus Show. 454
Lula: Box 24, Lula GA, 30554; KIPM: kipm_outerlimits@xxxxxxxxxxx
(Charles Crawford, Henderson KY, Free Radio Weekly via DXLD)

** CHIAPAS [non]. CBC/RCI preview for June 10: GLOBAL VILLAGE -- Jowi
Taylor has reports from a Free Reed Fest in cyberspace... music for
Chiapas recorded in Canada, and a Haitian group that's been denied
the chance to tour North America. Saturday 2305 on 5960, 9755, 11895,
13670, 15305, 17695 (CBC Hotsheet via Joe Buch, swprograms via DXLD)

** COSTA RICA. RFPI Mailbag first airing June 2, but monitored June 6
at 1930 said the buzz on 6970 recently was due to a faulty tube
socket, traced with some difficulty and replaced. A new crystal has
been ordered for 15049 which it is hoped will put it actually on
15050 in a few weeks. It may be a month before USB transmitter is
back, waiting on parts. RFPI is happy that $10K worth of solar and
wind power equipment has been delivered, thanks to a grant from
Rotary. It comes from Sun Systems in Florida, highly recommended.
Includes wind generators, and solar panels. This will be enough to
supply office power during blackouts, but not to run the big
transmitter.

The following Mailbag, first airing 2000 UT Friday June 9 with James
and Debra Latham, after a transmission outage during COM/WOR,
revealed that everything is torn up, totally disrupted at the station
at the moment with a LAN computer network system being installed.
There have been lots of power outages throughout the region the last
few days. When the LAN is installed, RFPI will then be able to stream
direct onto the Internet, rather than via the current SW pickup in
the USA, and RFPI will no longer be constrained by a very slow
dialup-only Internet connexion.

RFPI is caught in a dilemma: needs to get on an expanded AM band
frequency soon, and has inquired about US AM transmitters, but would
take some time to obtain. Discussed converting a SW transmitter, but
do not want to disrupt present SW by converting 10 or 30 kW unit, so
may do it with the 3 kW transmitter, which is off the air and needing
rebuilding. Have leads on a large 50 kW transmitter later. So the USB
3 kW unit will not resume right away. May get some new SSB equipment
from the US for that purpose instead. Disruptions at the office are
occasionally interrupting the studio-transmitter link. Tearing up the
floor/ceiling to install LAN also reduces the soundproofing. Looks
like Global Community Forum may do an open forum live call-in show
this coming Thursday evening, UT Fri June 16 at 0200; listen for
further announcements. Depends on whether the 800 number be working.
(notes by gh for DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EGYPT. Radio Kairo with Arabic to South America after 2330 from
Abis on 15590 and 17770 was suffering from a badly working noise
gate, a unit which is used to mute noisy feed circuits when they have
no audio. This noise gate did not open properly, resulting in just
shreds of audio coming through. I am rather certain that the infamous
audio on 9900 is caused by a similar malfunction, too; actually
disappointing that they donot manage to solve such a minor problem.
(Kai Ludwig, Germany, June 8, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EUROPE. Sunday June 11 Radio Geronimo will be testing on 31 metres
9330 kHz. The xmsn will commence at 0930 UTC. Reception reports are
more than welcome via: Geronimo, 64 Brighton Road, Leicester LE5 0HA,
UK or you can write to P.O.Box 2727, 6049 ZG Herten, Netherlands.
(via Free Radio Weekly via DXLD)

** FINLAND. YLE has English hour UT Sun 0000 on 11985, back on at
0100 with English mailbag program ``Echo``, 0109 into Latin (Bob
Thomas, CT, June 3, DX LISTENING DIGEST) //13770 (gh)

** FINLAND(?)/SAHARA [non]. Here in Finland I heard pirate Q103 on
10330 kHz USB  last weekend. Realaudio file:
http://www.ute-monitor.org/mfa/pirateQ103.rm Their web site:
http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/Q103.1/index.htm Coming programmes of
Q103: The next transmissions will be as follows: June 10th and 11th
June 17th and 18th Saturdays at 20.00 - 21.30 UTC on 10330 kHz USB;
Sundays at 07.00 - 09.00 UTC on 10330 kHz USB and 10.00 - 12.00 UTC
on 7510 kHz USB During weekends (Sat/Sun). Q 103 might be on air even
for 20 hours if conditions allow.

VOIS (Voice of Independent Sahara) programmes are transmitted on
10330 kHz and 6969 kHz during the summer. Reception reports for VOIS
broadcasts must be sent to Q103 - we will take care of the further
transport. E-mail address for reception reports: saharadio@xxxxxx
Additional VOIS programmes will be re-broadcast during our programmes
(Risto Harjula, Finland, June 7, hard-core-dx via DXLD, WORLD OF
RADIO 1039)

Rather odd that in picking a WOOB frequency it would happen to
coincide with the multi-site outlets of All India Radio (gh)

** FRANCE? On 17620 25.5 1000 UNID. My receiver was adjusted to
Hawaii when I for some curious reason started to rotate the knob. On
this frequency I noted a ``test transmission for RDM Mundial`` [sic]
in EE and the a short piece of music and then s/off. Curiously I
checked the next day, May 26 at the same time. Exactly at 1000 s/on
with music and the ID in FF, SS, PP and probably Dutch. Ici Radio
Diffusion Mondiale, RDM" ? Between the IDs bossanova-like music and
sign/off 10.07. Not noted after that. What is this? Is more than
France here? RFI starts its transmissions at 11.00. Maybe the
solution is simple and I, due to little DX-ing lately, know nothing.
That it is a test is obvious because ``someone tuned the knobs`` and
in between the speech was heavily overmodulated which made it
difficult to hear what was said despite I taped the transmission. Q4.
(Börge Eriksson, [Sweden?], SW Bulletin translatled by Thomas Nilsson
for DXLD) Or was it DRM = Digital Radio Mondiale? (gh)

** IRAN. No two versions of VIRI`s schedule match each other. Here`s
one, excerpted: (gh)

Summer A-00 schedule of VoIROI [new frequencies marked #]

Arabic includes:
(Voice of Islamic Palestinian Revolution) 0330-0430 7290#, 9610
(Voice of Islamic Revolution of Iraq) 0330-0530 9685#, 9745#, 11730,
13615#

English
0030-0130 9022, 9835#, 11970
1100-1230 15385#, 15430, 15585#, 21470#, 21730#
1530-1630 7115#, 9635, 11775
1930-2030 9022, 9575#, 11670#
2130-2230 11740, 13745

Spanish
0030-0230 9515, 9650, 13755#
0130-0230 9560#;
0230-0330 13605
0530-0630 17590#, 17785#
2030-2130 9022, 11765
(Observer, Bulgaria, June 5 excerpted for DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KYRZYZ REPUBLIC. No change in Kyrgyz Republic's name,
parliamentary press service says: Text of report by the Kyrgyz news
agency Kabar on 29th May

Bishkek, 29th May: Giving the Russian language official status has
not changed the Kyrgyz Republic's name, as reported in the Russian
media, in particular, on the ``Vremya`` news programme. The Kyrgyz
Republic retains its previous name and the law on giving the Russian
language official status, which has been adopted, has not changed the
republic's name. According to the press service of the Legislative
Assembly [standing chamber] of the Kyrgyz parliament, on 25th May,
this chamber adopted a law of the Kyrgyz Republic on an official
language of the Kyrgyz Republic. Article One of this law reads: ``The
Russian language is an official language in the Kyrgyz Republic. This
law does not apply to relations dealing with the use of the Kyrgyz
language as state language, which has a special status established in
the Constitution of the Kyrgyz Republic and in the law on state
language in the Kyrgyz Republic.`` [quotation marks and ellipses as
given] On 29th May, the speaker of the Legislative Assembly, Abdygany
Erkebayev, sent the adopted law to the president of the Kyrgyz
Republic for signing. According to the Kyrgyz president's press
service, President Askar Akayev has already signed this law today and
it comes into force on the territory of Kyrgyzstan following its
publication in the press. As regards the changing of the republic's
name, there was no question about this at all at the Legislative
Assembly, the Kyrgyz parliament's press service said. Source: Kabar
news agency, Bishkek, in Russian 1018 gmt 29 May 00 (via Dave Kenny,
BBC Monitoring via DXLD, WORLD OF RADIO 1039)

** MAURITIUS. Mauritius NOT to return to shortwave

Some of you may remember hearing Mauritius on 4855 and 9710 kHz. I
note that these frequencies were last listed in the 1987 edition of
the WRTH, although my recollection is that the station had
disappeared from shortwave a year or more before then. More recently
there were rumours of a return to SW, but the following extract from
the MBC's web site - http://mbc.intnet.mu - makes it clear that this
is not to be. However, the web site does offer live audio and
archived video from the MBC, so the island is easier to hear now than
ever before. (Chris Greenway, UK, DXLD)

TO DX LISTENERS - SHORT WAVE AND MEDIUM WAVE

The Mauritius Broadcasting Corporation were transmitting on SW on
4.85 MHz and 9.71 MHz from Mauritius using a 10 kW Philips
transmitter. We had to stop transmission for more than 10 years now
because the transmitter was old and spare parts were not available.
This SW transmission was meant for Rodrigues Island mainly. Moreover,
as we now have a MW-AM transmission on1206 kHz at Citronelle in
Rodrigues, SW transmission from Mauritius is not a priority, the more
so that SW transmission is very expensive and erratic.

We thanks DX Listeners for their QSL cards confirming MBC MW-AM
transmission, thanks to sky wave propagation at night.

Unfortunately, we cannot satisfy SW listeners.

Our MW transmission on 684 kHz - 1 kW (RM 1), 819 kHz - 1 kW (RM 2)
and 1575 kHz - 500 W (BBC World Service) and 1206 kHz - 1 kW (Radio
Rodrigues) use radiating mast as transmitting antenna.

We wish you good reception on MW. (via Chris Greenway, June 5, DX
LISTENING DIGEST) I believe we quoted or referenced this identical
page some months ago, but tnx for the reminder (gh)

** MONGOLIA. 12085, Voice of Mongolia, English June 7 at 1030-1100
and presumed Mongolian 1100-1130 still coming thru to Northeast Ohio!
Very ususual to hear them after mid-May! (Lee Silvi, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** NICARAGUA. According to a personal letter from Evaristo Mercado
P., Director of Radio Miskut dated May 17, 2000, the damaged parts
for SW transmitter have been repaired by John Freeman, and the parts
will come to the station in June/July.

Another news is that a satellite system was installed by VOA in
February. Inauguration ceremony was officially conducted on April 4
by the US Ambassador (Tetsuya Hirahara, Japan, May 29, DX LISTENING
DIGEST, WORLD OF RADIO 1038) ? How does this relate to Miskut? (gh)

** NIGER. Now back on 5020: L V du Sahel yesterday at 2104 with a
musical program (told by speaker) but speaker with continuous talks
before and between songs. Indirect IDs, Exact freq 5020.22, -25
Signal 32333, mean and max S9 better at 2130 with S9+10 at max
(Zacharias Liangas, Greece, WORLD OF RADIO 1039, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NIGER. 5020.8 La Voix du Sahel, Niamey, June 8, 2150-2202*,
reactivated after 5 months absence, news in French, flute and muslim
prayer, closing announcement with ID, flute and National Hymn. Very
strong 45444 (Anker Petersen, Denmark, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PAKISTAN. 15100.39, Radio Pakistan with English news at 1605.
Fair reception. No parallels noted today June 4 (Walt Salmaniw, BC,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PALESTINE [non]. Voice of Palestine, Voice of the Palestinian
Islamic Revolution (Arabic: sawtal-filistin, sawt al-thawrah al-
islamiyah al-filistiniyah) operates from Iran. It was first heard in
the mid-1980s. Programmes are critical of the Palestinian Authority.
It broadcasts on frequencies which at other times carry the the
Arabic external service of Voice of the Islamic Republic of Iran (the
official Iranian broadcasting organization). Broadcasts MAY be one
hour LATER in WINTER. 0330-0430 Daily in ARABIC to ME on 7.250 9.610
(© BBC Monitoring May 31, condensed for DX LISTENING DIGEST, WORLD OF
RADIO 1039)

** PERU. 4663v TENT. Radio Universo alias ``Radio Cielo``, Cajabamba
(?), Depto. de Cajamarca (?), (Peru). May 2000 [exact dates not given
-gh] - 1030 UTC. This is a case like R. Tigre, which I have reported
several times.. This one has neglected to give clues on location of
the transmitting site. I logged this station for the first time in
Oct 99 on 6705v and the month thereafter on 5768v. All the time the
station gives ID as ``R Cielo`` with variations. 27 of May I was
surprised by a great ID as: ``Estamos en calidad de prueba ... de
Cajabamba, transmite Radio Universo``. At two more occasions two
short ``Radio Universo`` IDs. Another minor clue: ``Radio Cielo para
todos los norteños``( `Norteño` = in this case person living in the
north of Perú). Note that this station is still TENT. ``Calidad de
prueba`` means test transmission (free translation). What the correct
name of the station is we will find out when this long ``test
transmission`` is finished. (Björn Malm, Quito, Ecuador, SW Bulletin,
translated by Thomas Nilsson for DXLD, WORLD OF RADIO 1039)

** PERU. On 4577.5, Radio Uno, 0230-0250 June 4: Beginning the
program  Expresión Popular... ``un programa dedicado a los hombres de
la costa, de la selva, de la sierra...`` hosted by Pablo Sánchez.

On 4714.8v, Radio Cielo, 0135-0208 June 4: Noted after close of Radio
Yura [BOLIVIA, q.v.] with Mexican music and ID Taped. ``...en tu
compañía Radio Cielo, Radio Cielo, Radio Cielo... Costa, Sierra y
Selva sintonizan Radio Cielo... Están sintonizando Radio Cielo, Radio
Cielo...`` This is a new Peruvian station reported by Dxer
Arrunátegui. No TC, no live speaker, no mentions of location.

On 5470.7, Radio San Nicolás, 0135-0150* June 4: Music in SS with
Baladas and Rock en Español. Noted Full S/off at 0147. ``... Radio
San Nicolás llega al final de sus emisiones, esperamos haberlos
acompañado durante toda la mañana, tarde y noche; transmitimos desde
la provincia más fértil del Departamento de Amazonas, Rodríguez de
Mendoza. A nombre de nuestro señor gerente, personal administrativo,
operadores y locutores de nuestra emisora, agradecemos muy de veraz
su cordial sintonía. Mañana iniciamos una nueva transmisión con nueva
música, nuevas noticias, nuevos saludos, siempre en la gran sintonía
de su emisora favorita Radio San Nicolás. Por hoy día muchísimas
gracias, muy buenas noches y que Dios los bendiga...`` N.A.

On 6520.5, Radio Paucartambo, 0230-0302* June 3: Folk mx and
listener's phone call. S/off at the 0258: ... ``Un nuevo día llega a
su fin.... para recibir la señal de Radio Paucartmabo, emisora
municipal, desde la región Cusco, República del Peru...``, prayer, no
anthem.

On 6956.9, Radio La Voz del Campesino, 2130-2210 June [date missing]:
Folk mx, timecheck ``4 de la tarde con 35 minutos en RVC, Radio La
Voz del Campesino, llegando con la mejor música de Proyección
2000...`` Mentions that Gerente Propietario is Profesor Luís Hernando
Huancas Huancas, who was owner of Radiodifusora Paratón de Huarmaca.
Now this person is Huarmaca's Mayor. ``...RVC, Radio La Voz del
Campesino, sinónimo de grandeza como el Paratón...`` (Rafael
Rodríguez R., Bogotá, Colombia, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also BOLIVIA

** ROMANIA. 9690, Radio Romania Int'l, English to Europe fairly
audible in Northeast Ohio from 2300 - 2359 on 9690 // 11830 // 11775
// 15105. 9690 to Europe is not usually audible here but was fair to
good this date June 3, and 15105 was much better than usual (Lee
Silvi, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOLOMON ISLANDS. Fighting keeps mediumwave broadcasts off air |
Text of report by Radio Australia on 6th June

Opposing militia groups in Solomon Islands are continuing a battle
near the international airport, 10 kilometres east of the capital,
Honiara. Members of the Malaita Eagle Force, who have armed
themselves with automatic weapons they took from the main police
armoury in Honiara yesterday, have engaged militants from Guadalcanal
who hold most of the island outside the capital. The news editor at
Solomon Islands Broadcasting Corporation, (?Walter Nalangu), told
Sean Dorney the station's mediumwave broadcasts had had to be
abandoned because SIBC technicians could not reach a transmitter near
the airfield which had broken down. [Nalangu] They are still
fighting, exchanges of fire going on around that area between members
of the Isatabu Freedom Movement and the joint forces [presumably
reference to the paramilitary police as well as the Malaita Eagle
Force]. Our technical boys have been up there less than an hour ago
and they can't get through to our transmitter site because of the
shooting that is going on around that area. So it's pretty unsafe at
the moment to go that far. Source: Radio Australia, Melbourne, in
English 0700 gmt 6 Jun 00 (via BBC Monitoring via DXLD)

** SOLOMON ISLANDS. Given the current situation in the Solomon
Islands, I have had occasion over the past few nights to tape Solomon
Islands radio on 5020 kHz from about 1030 to about 1200 UTC, when the
signals here have been readily audible. It certainly makes for some
fascinating listening, to see how the national radio station in that
nation has decided what role to take in the current ethnic-based
conflict. While I have not been a regular listener of Radio Solomon
Islands over the years, it seems to me that there has been more
religious based programming lately than is commonly the case, and
many references to a ``jubilee celebration`` taking place in the
north of the main island as a focus of religious activities. There
have been numerous appeals by national religious leaders and by
government spokespersons for calm, as well as appeals originating
with the Red Cross to respect ethnic diversity in the country. Of
course, much more detail about the conflict and the response of
various nations in the vicinity (such as the arrival of an Australian
naval vessel to evacuate foreign nationals, and the rumours, later
denied, that the Australians were charging individual evacuees for
their services) has been available than through any other news source
I am aware of here. All of which continues to demonstrate the
tremendous value and relevance of the shortwave medium as an active
agent for change in places where conflict exists or where local
authorities want to get the word out. Cheers, (b. cooley, BC, June 9,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOLOMON ISLANDS. 5019.92, Solomon Islands Broadcasting Corporation
is on the air. I monitored them 8 June at 0753 with a lot of
noise/splatter from Cuba's Radio Rebelde on 5025. Not particularly
strong (the previous night was stronger), but included a long talk by
a woman, lots of mentions of Honiara and Guadalcanal. This was
followed by John Lennon's Give Peace a Chance. Faded up from poor to
fair. (Walt Salmaniw, BC, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOLOMON ISLANDS. 5020, SIBC Honiara continues to be heard well
into the 4th day of the takeover of the capital by members of the
Malaitan Eagles militant force on Monday. While international media
is full of reports that telephone communications with the island are
cut, we DXers and SWLs can tune in to hear how the island crisis is
being reflected on SIBC. An ABC (Australia) news report forwarded by
Matt Francis Wednesday quotes SIBC's news editor saying some of the
station's broadcasts had been abandoned because technicians could not
fix a transmitter near the airfield which had broken down. I would
guess this must apply to 1035 AM as am continuing to hear 5020 from
0700 UTC fade in past 1100 and from morning sign-on at 1830.

To my ear, the style and format of SIBC broadcasts has not noticeably
changed since the attempted coup. There is the friendly 'Radio Hapi
Isles' intro at 1830, and a lively music mix until the first daily
SIBC news bulletin is at 1900 in Pidgin, followed by "Morning Report"
also in Pidgin. However most actuality items carried are in English.
At 1905 Monday (morning after the invasion of Honiara) I was able to
hear militants spokesman Andrew Nori and a Solomons MP speaking at a
press conference until SIBC's signal fades out with our local
daylight around 1945 UTC. An English news broadcast is scheduled for
2000 UTC. Evening broadcasts heard over the past 24 hours include
English news at 0700 UTC and a BBC News relay at 1100 UTC. The latter
was complete with reportage on the Solomons crisis. As I type this
(1900 UTC June 7) the morning news in Pidgin is underway. But oddly
at this time there is a heterodyne on the usually clear clear 5020.
(Bryan Clark, New Zealand, Cumbre DX via DXLD)

** SOLOMON ISLANDS. 5020, R. Solomons has been taking a very low key
approach to the recent events over there. Programming has been
normal, with music shows and the BBC relay at 1100 continuing as
usual. News & current affairs shows have been talking about the
events, but it certainly isn't the blanket coverage one would expect
if it was happening in our countries. The station has been remaining
on later than its 1200 listed s/off, heard past 1230 - though it does
not appear to be 24 hours as last night it was off air at 1610 check.
(Richard Jary, Ausralia, Cumbre DX via DXLD)

** SOLOMON ISLANDS. From the ABC Online news service: ``A gun battle
between members of the MEF and the rival Isatabu Freedom Movement
(IFM) had been reported near the Solomons' airport, about 10
kilometres east of the capital, Honiara. Walter Nalangu, the news
editor at the Solomon Islands Broadcasting Corporation, says some of
the station's broadcasts had been abandoned because technicians could
not fix a transmitter near the airfield which had broken down.``
(Matt Francis, Darwin, Australia, Electronic DX Press via DXLD)

** SOLOMON ISLANDS [non]. RNZI Preview for June 11: Sun. 0806 on
11720 - SOUNDS HISTORICAL with Jim Sullivan. This week: RNZAF in
Guadalcanal Battle, June 12, 1943 (via John Figliozzi, swprograms via
DXLD)

** SPAIN. QSL rejection letter because I didn't include SINPO or SIO
code. Also sent report form and attachment of their QSL policy.
Policy requires time, date, frequency, sufficient pgm detail and
language, and assessment of reception that ``must be`` in SINPO or
SIO code. It should also include listener's location and receiving
equipment, and personal data. Report form asks for age group - under
25, 25-45, 45-70, over 70, antenna type, receiver and whether it is
analog or digital, and profession.

The Spanish Inquisition lives! ;-) Nothing of this policy appears on
their web page that has the address for reception reports! I don't
use SINPO due to its arbitrary nature - it usually varies with
antenna type. I describe reception quality instead. I have QSLed over
50 countries without a rejection till now. They need to re-name their
dept. of audience relations to dept. of audience frustration. ;-) 2nd
attempt. (Larry Russell, MI, MARE June 9 via DXLD)

** SWEDEN. Dear Friends, Starting from today, Radio Sweden and
Teracom AB put an additional frequency on air at 03.00-04.00 UTC
(first half hour Swedish and second half hour English) in order to
improve reception in North America. The new one, 15245 kHz, will
complement 9495 kHz and reports of these two are very much welcomed,
especially those comparing the two frequencies. Reports will be
verified with a special QSL-card and a number of T-shirts will be
given away to some of the reporteurs. Report could be sent to (e-mail
and fax preferred): e-mail: magnus.nilsson@xxxxxxxxxx fax: +46 8
55542060 mail: Att: HF Frequency Planning Uf Teracom AB P.O. Box
17666 SE-11892 Stockholm Sweden Naturally, also reports can be sent
direct to Radio Sweden. Yours sincerely, (Magnus Nilsson, Teracom AB,
June 6, hard-core-dx via DXLD, WORLD OF RADIO 1039)

** SWEDEN. R. Sweden`s new 15245 quite good on first outing, 0330 UT
Wed June 7, but //9495 was just as good. About the same following
nights. 15245 certainly a good choice during the summer, tho (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN. 15245, Radio Sweden testing to North America on this
frequency at 0300 to 0330 in Swedish, and to 0400 in English. A
superior frequency to parallel 9495, but only marginally. Excellent
on the former, and very good on the latter, with MediaScan program.
Asked for reports at the end of the broadcast. 15245 cut out in mid
sentence at 0357 June 7 (Walt Salmaniw, BC, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TIMOR EAST. Antonio, 4W6GH, continues to be the most active
station here. Most of his activity is on 20/17/15 meters SSB and
RTTY. He spends a great deal of time on the air between 1300 and
1630z. There have been reports on the PacketClusters where there are
"NO TAKERS or NOT MANY CALLING HIM". QSL CT1EGH. (KB8NW/OPDX June
5/BARF-80 via John Norfolk, OKCOK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** UKRAINE. RUI, 13590, May 27 and June 3 0300 with IS, English
programming, ID, news, program about Ukrainian culture, local music;
strong, a regular past several weeks (Brian Alexander, PA, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** UKRAINE. RUI English to NAm at 0300 on 13590 pretty faithful so
far, fair to good here (Bob Thomas, CT, June 3, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** UKRAINE. 13590: I'm still not 100% sure about this frequency. It
was weakly heard at sign-off of the English hour at 0358 with fair
level. At 0400, signal is definitely weaker, with IS into Ukrainian.
Presumably the same (?100kw) transmitter, but a different beam
heading. Still RUI is unusable here until the 1000 kW tx return.
(Volodya Salmaniw, BC, 7 June, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U.K. / JERSEY. Chris, G0WFH, will be here August 12-22nd using the
rare "International Short Wave League" (ISWL) club callsign GH4BJC/P.
This will be a QRP trip on SSB only using a Elecraft K2 rig running
on batteries on the north side of the island called Devils Hole.
Suggested frequencies are: 3685 (at 1500z, ISWL net Sat/Sun), 14280,
18130, 21280, 24930 and 28450 kHz. Check out his Web page for more
details at: http://www.qsl.net/g0wfh/g0wfh (KB8NW/OPDX June 5/BARF-80
via John Norfolk, OKCOK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Is WSHB relaying BBC World Service? Yesterday morning, I
received a reply from WSHB station manager C. Ed Evans regarding my
posting last week about the possibility that WSHB relayed the BBCWS
from 1127 to 1225 UTC, May 29 and 30 on 9715. Here's his reply,
quoted in its entirety. (Jim Moats, OH, June 6, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

`` During the week of May 21, we were relaying RNW programs while the
Bonaire station underwent repairs. We were scheduled to stop these
broadcasts on May 26, but through an operator error, we did broadcast
on the RNW frequencies on May 29 and 30.`` (via Jim Moats, NE Ohio,
DXLD) Err, that was not the question asked... (gh)

** U S A. Just thought you might like to know... Today (6 7 2000) at
17:45 EDST I happened on a broadcast of Family Radio at 15 MHz.
directly competing with WWV. This is the first time that I have
happened to have heard a time interval covered by a commercial
broadcaster. The signal strength and quality of both signals was
quite good. I use a RS DX 392 with a 75' longwire antenna. I recorded
about 20 minutes of the broadcast. (Past the top of the hour WWV ID).
Keep up the good work, Glenn...... we'll be listening.

Brother X and Bittersweet - Complex Variables Studio -
``Hear Now`` and ``Le Bon Bon Club`` / WBCQ 7.415 MHz
Saturdays 10pm Eastern - Midnight = 2 - 4 hours UTC
``We've Got Trouble Now`` / WBCQ
Fridays 6:30 - 7 PM Eastern = 22:30 - 23 hours UTC
(Regina Ketter) I checked 15000 a couple hours later, but no WYFR.
Wonder how this happened? (gh)

** U S A. Hi, Glenn. Was just doing a little net surfing and
came across this interesting website. Don't know if you are aware of
it. Some interesting material. National Association of Shortwave
Broadcasters http://www.shortwave.org (Sheldon Harvey, Greenfield
Park, Quebec, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Of note is that certain national
SW broadcasters are not members of this, but they sure have a nice
URL (gh, DXLD)

** U S A. Doug Garlinger, Director of Engineering at LeSea
Broadcasting, has appeared on ``Strip Poker``. We happened to be
tuning across USA Network UT Sat June 10 around 0320 when we spotted
him captioned briefly, evidently doing a testimonial for CIE, tho the
sound was muted, during a commercial break. Being basic cable, even
the last ten minutes of the show itself could not go far enough to
justify the title, but still... (gh, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VIETNAM. VOV in En, Ru, Vn, Vn, En, Fr, En, Fr, Sp, En, Fr, 1600-
2130 on 9730 and spurious signals as follows:
plus 10 kHz 9790, 9780, 9770, 9760, 9750, 9740;
minus 10 kHz 9720, 9710, 9700, 9690, 9680, 9670.
(Observer, Bulgaria, via DXLD, WORLD OF RADIO 1039)

** WESTERN SAHARA [non]. Radio of Arabian Sahara Democratica noted
again on short wave from May 24. 1800-1900 and 2300-2400 Spanish,
1900-2300 Ar on NF 7497.3/7498.2/7500.0 under R. Bulgaria in
Bulgarian to Eu til 2100. Very good reception from 2100 SINP0
(45554). (Observer, Bulgaria, June 5 via DXLD) But now on 7460.00
(ex7100.00) (Wolfgang Büschel, Germany, June 10, DXLD)

** WESTERN SAHARA [non}. The SADR (Polisario) radio was back on 7460
kHz (ex 7100, 7500) this morning at the extended time of 0600-0800.
Also noted this evening on 7460, in the clear. Meanwhile, Morocco was
wasting its time tonight with a jamming relay on 7470 (// 15345).
(Chris Greenway, UK, June 6, WORLD OF RADIO 1039, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** ZAMBIA. R. Christian Voice, 4965, May 27-28 2345-0257* | Tune-in
to US contemporary Christian, gospel music, IDs, English religious
talk. Abruptly off at 0257. Weak to poor. A regular the past several
weeks; also heard June 3 at 0100-0257* (Brian Alexander, PA, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)                                ###