[HCDX]: EZL for CBL's old frequency

The CRTC has approved three new stations for the Toronto area.  For AM
DXers, the days of that gaping hole on 740 are numbered.  CBL's old
frequency will go to an easy listening (EZL) format, targeted to listeners
who are old enough to remember when AM ruled.  Either CHWO-1250 or CJMR-1320
will go silent when the move to 740 happens.  I hope the plug will be pulled
on both of these semi-local pests.  Following is an article from the June 17
edition of the Globe and Mail (which purports to be "Canada's National
Newspaper").

Aboriginal station gets approval from CRTC

RAVI UBHA
The Globe and Mail, Toronto

Toronto's first aboriginal radio station got the green light from federal
regulators yesterday, but organizers will need money before it can hit the
airwaves, a project spokesman said.
"We have some commitments, but we really don't have funds [in place]," said
Gary Farmer, the spokesman for Aboriginal Voices Radio.  "We will be working
really hard and having a lot of fundraisers.  We also have a lot of
support."
He was commenting on a decision issued yesterday by the Canadian
Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, which also approved two
other licences for Toronto - a black FM music station and an "easy
listening" AM station geared to listeners over the age of 50.
Denham Jolly, president of Milestone Communications, said he was "relieved"
after getting the go-ahead for the black FM music station, located on FM
93.5, after two previous rejections by the CRTC.  He predicted that the
station, which will feature "urban" music including rhythm and blues, reggae
and calypso aimed at 25- to 44-year-olds, will be on the air in nine months.
The adult-standards station, owned by CHWO Ontario, Inc., will be at 740 AM,
the former home of CBC, and will begin broadcasting some time this fall,
said Michael Caine, president and general manager of CHWO 1250 and CJMR
1320, which are owned by CHWO.
"We had over 7,000 handwritten letters of support.  It serves a demographic
that currently isn't being reached," Mr. Caine said.
Mr. Farmer said backers need to raise $1.5-million to make the aboriginal
station operational.
Aboriginal Voices Radio, which is scheduled to air on 106.5 FM, is the
second native urban radio station, with the first in Winnipeg.  Applications
are pending in Calgary and Vancouver, said Mr. Farmer, an actor.
"People are taking our stories and making a living out of them," he said.
It isn't us telling our own story.  This will help sustain who we are and
send out the other side of the story."