[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-81 June 27

[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-81 June 27

DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-05, June 27, 2000 edited by Glenn Hauser, wghauser@xxxxxxxxxxx

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages and we are provided exchange
copies. DXLD may not be reposted in its entirety without permission}

CONTINENT OF MEDIA 00-05, a new edition, has started on RFPI, Tuesday
June 27 at 2000. This edition is mostly about Latin America. Soon also
at http://www.DXing.com  Full schedule at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wormassw.html and
topic summary at http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/com0005.html

** ALASKA. Remember to look for Don, NL7QT, to be active from Wrangell
Island (NOT NA-041), June 26th through August 1st. Activity will be
QRP, especially on 40 meters. He will drive to Bellingham and take the
Alaska Ferry to Wrangell. It is a 2 1/2 day boat trip. Don states that
this is a great way to see south east Alaska and British Columbia. He
should arrive there around June 26th and hopes to be on the air soon
after. QSL via bureau. His daily schedule is as follows, bands
conditions permitting: [frequencies converted to kHz--jn]

10 meter SSB 28450 NA Islands/IOTA call
15 meter SSB 21350 NA Islands/IOTA call
20 meter SSB 14260 NA Islands/IOTA call
40 meter SSB 7250 NA Islands/IOTA call
80 meter SSB 3890 CW 3675 CW alt. 3710 Long Wire

He will check in daily on the following:
40 meters SSB 7233.5..0000-0300z...Century Club DX Net (alt freq is
7243)
40 meters SSB 7293..0300z...Sandia Net for messages.
40 Meters CW 7140..0505z...QRP
40 meters CW 7145..1530z...listen for Sked QRP contacts (Saturday
only)
40 meters CW 7140..0530z...Daily check with WB0UFF. (KB8NW/OPDX June
26/BARF-80 via John Norfolk, OKCOK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRIA. On June 23, Wolf Harranth announced the following changes
at the Ham Radio fair in Friedrichshafen:

- German coverage will not change (yet) but more programmes (including
all news during daytime) will be relayed from the ORF, Austrian Radio
& TV, the home service, and more repeats replace unique broadcasts.

- English broadcasts will be reduced starting with B00. The 24 h FM
home service Blue Danube Radio will be discontinued.

Arabic and Esperanto will close completely in September or at the end
of 2000.

The shortwave transmitter centre in Moosbrunn will reduce broadcasts
by about 50 % with B00. Broadcasts to Europe will not be affected,
only several overseas frequencies will be cancelled.

The ADR ASTRA satellite feed will close down with B00. The digital
bouquet on ASTRA will continue, but all channels will be encrypted
(Irdeto/Premiere World system). Only Austrians living abroad will be
able to receive a subscription card, to avoid movie licensing
problems.

(André Schmidt, Lautert, Germany, June 27, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. CBC Radio kicks off R3 on the Web CATHERINE JHEON -
iCulture

TORONTO - CBC Radio has launched R3 on the Web, an online service that
aims to bring CBC to young Canadians between the ages of 15 and 30.

``CBC Radio has been providing Canadians with a window on their
country,`` said Alex Frame, vice-president of CBC Radio in today's
press conference. ``It's time we started doing the same thing for
young Canadians.``

R3 was originally intended as a youth radio service. But when funding
for Radio Three fell through, the project was taken online.

Three websites will make up R3. The first site, 120seconds.com, which
launched today, is described as a storytelling site. It covers a range
of subjects, styles and opinions about life, comedy and art. Freelance
contributors as well as R3 producers will provide content for the
site. Justconcerts.com and newmusiccanada.com, sites focussing on
live concerts and new Canadian music, will complete the R3
network when they launch this fall.

[For your surfing convenience we give the presumed full URLs:
http://www.120seconds.com  http://www.Justconcerts.com
http://www.newmusiccanada.com  http://www.todradio.com ]

(Infoculture, CBC online June 27 via Ivan Grishin, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

Also just started on CBC Radio One is todradio.com originating in
Vancouver, as previewed here a few issues ago, at 2305 UT Tuesday June
27 on the web via Halifax. Said the show will be live and different
every hour for each time zone, rather than repeating hourly, and more
of this pattern will ensue on CBC. No mention yet of Radio Three, but
this show attempts to be very interactive as it is live on the air and
did mention 120seconds.com as in story above; topic: True Love Online?
ICQ 7029 3303 or was it 3203. E-mail: theshow@xxxxxxxxxxxx  If you
have digital radio, show video is simulcast on DAB. Next week: Nerd
Culture? Definitely seems aimed at youth audience (Glenn Hauser, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR? 3751.1 UNID. 2250-2318 Junio 25; Monitoreando esta
frecuencia reportada por Björn Malm (Via SWB via DXLD) escuché un lote
de música ecuatoriana (pasillos) con Segundo Rosero y otros artistas
populares del Ecuador. No hubo ningún locutor al aire. Por el
comportamiento de la señal, me inclino a pensar que se trata de un
armónico ecuatoriano (1250 x 3). A las 2318 se perdió la señal (Rafael
Rodríguez R., Bogotá, Colombia, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ERITREA [non]. New via DTK: Democratic Eritrean Revival, in Oromo,
1600-1700 Mon, Thu, Sun on 15365, SINPO 55555, 130 degrees to EAf
(Observer, Bulgaria, June 19 via DXLD)

** INTERNATIONAL WATERS [non]. {Note: some previous items on Me/Bo of
Radio Northsea International fame have been headed LIBYA [non]}

Maker of Bomb Timers Says He`s Legitimate Swiss Businessman.

Camp Zeist, Netherlands (AP) ? A key witness in the Lockerbie bombing
trial insisted Friday he was an ordinary Swiss businessman, despite
having already admitted working with the CIA, collaborating with the
former East German secret police and supplying bomb timers to Libya.

Electronics manufacturer Edwin Bollier ? whose company allegedly made
the timer that detonated the bomb on Pan Am flight 103 over Scotland,
killing 270 people in 1988 ? completed a week of testimony Friday.

Defense attorney Richard Keen spent two hours cross examining Bollier,
and ended by telling the 62-year-old businessman: ``You are mired
completely in a web of deceit, cunning and lying of your own
invention.``

Bollier denied doing anything illegal or unusual. Deputy prosecutor
Alan Turnbull asked, ``Then, I am to take it that you are just a
legitimate Swiss businessman?``

Bollier responded: ``That is correct.``

Bollier`s testimony was critical in the trial of alleged Libyan agents
Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi and Lamen Khalifa Fhimah, who are accused
of putting the bomb on board he Pan Am plane. The two men have pleaded
innocent to charges of murder and conspiracy to murder, and have tried
to implicate Palestinian groups.

In five days of testimony, Bollier said his company had designed and
delivered at least 25 timers to the Libyan secret service in the mid
1980s, testing them in the desert with several high-ranking Libyan
agents. He acknowledged discussing explosives with the Libyans, but
said he had not discussed the Lockerbie bombing. (Enid News & Eagle
June 24 via DXLD)

** ISRAEL. SPECIAL EVENT STATION (Attention Prefix Hunters!). From
July 24th to August 1st, look for special event station 4X85EUK. This
station will be transmitting from the 85th Esperanto World Congress
from Hotel Dan Panorama, Tel Aviv, Israel. The station will be
operated by members of ILERA - International League of Radioamateurs
Esperantists on the usual ILERA-frequencies: 7066, 14266, 21266 and
28766 kHz and packet radio (CONVERS channel 1887). (OPDX via John
Norfolk, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LESOTHO. DX Information from the British DX Club (BDXC-UK). What I
presume is Radio Lesotho on extended schedule as of 2115+ UTC, 27th
June, on 4800 with what appears to be the trial of people who I assume
have military connections (has there been a failed military coup in
Lesotho recently and this is the trial of those implicated?). Mix of
both vernacular and English, lots of spellings of names and mentions
of "I reported to my commanding officer", etc, and what sounds to me
like lots of excuses! If it's live, then it's gone midnight in
Lesotho, so rather late. Anyone know anything about what might be
going on?. The above information may only be reproduced if full credit
is given to the original contributor AND to the British DX Club (BDXC-
UK) (Tony Rogers - Birmingham, England, June 27 via DXLD)

** MOLDOVA: See ROMANIA below

** MOZAMBIQUE. Brian, C91DC, is active from Maputo with an IC-707 and
dipole antenna until late September. Look for him around 0500-0530z
between 28490-28495 kHz and on 14245 from 1400 through 1500z. ("DX
News Letter" via KB8NW/OPDX June 26/BARF-80 via John Norfolk, OKCOK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NETHERLANDS. Dear List Members: I have the sad duty to inform the
list members that my dear friend Joop ter Zee of the Free Radio
Service Holland died in hospital at 0508 local time in Holland today.
Peter has asked me to make the announcement to the boards that I post
on. I was in transit from Detroit to Atlanta when I got an email
message this afternoon from Peter Verbruggen w/a phone number to call.
I just got off the phone w/Peter, the funeral is this Saturday the 31st
[sic -? July 1?? -gh]. Further info can be reached at the following
email: Peter.Verbruggen@xxxxxx (Maryanne Kehoe, Atlanta GA, June 27,
swprograms via DXLD)

** PERU, 5855.7, UN---DO LA RADIO. 2341-0012 Junio 24. Nueva emisora
peruana reportada por Björn Malm (Via SWB via DXLD), la escuché cuando
presentaba música folclórica. A pesar de lo distorsionado de la
modulación del micrófono pude obtener esto datos, aunque
lamentablemente el nombre de la emisora no es claro para mí. La
emisora transmite desde Soritor en Moyobamba. Mencionaron QTH en
Jirón Urubamba a pocos pasos del Jirón Amazonas en Soritor, Provincia
de Moyobamba, Depto. de San Martín. ``... Un---do la Radio, netamente
San Martinense...`` ``Un---do la Radio, la radio que está apuntando al
futuro...`` Mencionaron a José Isaías Bustamante como Gerente-
Propietario. A mi escuchar el nombre de la emisora tiene tres sílabas,
y por momentos escucho ``Uniendo la Radio`` pero las únicas sílabas
que tengo claras son UN----DO (Rafael Rodríguez R., Bogotá, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA. RRI does not broadcast on 15580 at 0700-0800, even though
they announce this frequency and print it in their schedule. English
to Africa at 0700-0800 is on 17735 and 15250, heard there (David
Crystal, Ramat Zvi, Israel, undated aerogramme received June 27, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA/MOLDOVA. R Moldova International has been on the air Mon
and Tue, so apparently their cut-backs are limited to the weekend
transmissions. 15315 still much off nominal to the lower side and with
severe interference. The audio on 7520 is still anything but good.

Last night at 2100-2200 RRI English was very strong. Then I noted
transmitter side intermodulation products on 12140 (strong, from
11740-11940, plus 200 kHz) and 15030 (weak, from 15105-15180, minus 75
kHz). There was no noticeable delay between the 25 mb and 19 mb
channels, so an educated guess is that all four are Tiganeshti. Only
11940 is listed as Galbeni at that time. It seems clear that RRI
transmitter usage in many cases is not in agreement with HFCC
registrations. The satellite usage also seems to vary from day to day.
(Olle Alm, Sweden, June 13)

I just traced RRI Turkish service on 15270 from 1530. Shallow
modulation. One day I had RRI Russian instead in this slot. Last
Sunday I noted RRI on 17865 and 17790 instead of listed 17860 from
0800 to 0900. 2200-2300 the frequency usage seems to be flexible.
17745 and 17815 have been noted with both Portuguese and Spanish. The
multilingual service at 0600 seems to have settled on 15270 instead of
15250. On Tuesday both frequencies of RRI Chinese came on the air
several minutes late at 1430.

At 0000 Romanian has been noted on 11840 instead of listed but unheard
15255. 11940 still active. There are still chickens to be counted in
the pen. (Olle Alm, Sweden, June 14)

Last night RRI was on a reshuffled frequency schedule with reduced
transmitter usage, maybe with the Galbeni site all off.

0000-0200 Romanian on 11940(s), 17815. 0000-0100 Spanish, 0100-0200
Portuguese on 11830, 15105. 0200-0300 English on 9690, 11830,
15380(s), 15105. (s) = satellite delay (Olle Alm, Sweden, June 15)

RRI chicken pen. At 0000 Friday morning RRI was again on an
extraordinary schedule, but at 0100 they went to normal. At 0000 there
was Spanish on 11775, 11790, 15105, 17815 and no Romanian. About
halfway through this hour 11775 switched to 11940 and Romanian. (Olle
Alm, Sweden, June 16)

This morning RRI had a very different set of frequencies for its
English program at 0400: 11940, 11885, 9675, 9510. Only 11940 is
normal for this slot. Why did they use two 31 mb frequencies instead
of 16 and 19 mb? From 0500 all frequencies in use were the normal
ones. Their website seems to be the safest way of getting to hear them
until they also start changing their URL from day to day (Olle Alm,
Sweden, June 17)

At 1600 I was amazed to hear a relatively clear ID ``Aici Antena
Brasovul`` and announcing this [??? -gh] freq. I haven't seen anywhere
anything about Brasov having local programss. Does anyone have an e-
mail or snail-mail address to this station? (Mauno Ritola, Finland,
hcdx March 12)

Recently I got an Email from R Targu Mures (Romania) which could bring
some more light to a log from March this year. They wrote me (in
Romanian language) that they broadcast on MW 1197 a two hour program
produced by the editing suboffice ``Antena Brasovului``. This
suboffice belongs to the broadcasting studio Targu Mures. My other
questions like addr of ``Antena Brasovului`` or if this program is
broadcast also on the other frequenciess (1323 and 1593) of R Targu
Mures remained unanswered. The Email address is: msradior@xxxxxxxxxx
(Erich Bergmann, Germany, June 18)

{MOLDOVA [non]}. Until now they had more daily transmission hours;
just compare the schedule given in WRTH with the current one (as
reported by Rumen Pankov, Bulgaria)

The amount of evening transmissions was reduced, the ones in the
morning cancelled at all. And in addition it seems, that they also
reverted to the Mon-Fri only practice.

{ROMANIA} - Saftica vs. Tiganeshti: Looks like there was not enough
space for the new 250 kW facilities at the Saftica site, so they
erected them some 12 km north at the Tiganeshti place. Contrary
Galbeni had room for two further 250 kW transmitters and antennas.
Regarding Saftica the question seems to be, how many of these 18 kW
transmitters this site once had. I wonder, if these are actually
units, which otherwise would be rated as 20 kW, similar to the 17 kW
from Berlin-Britz on 6190 kHz (Kai Ludwig-, Germany, June 14)

(all of the above: WWDXC Top-News June 20 via DXLD)

** ROMANIA. R. Romania Aktualitatsi HS-1 via Galbeni: 0000-0600 7225,
9625; 0600-1900 11830, 15105; 1900-2200 9530, 11830; 2200-2400 7105,
9625 (Observer, Bulgaria, June 19 via DXLD)

** YUGOSERBIA. R. ``Yugoslavia`` no show June 19 and 20 at 0000
English to NAm on 11870; ditto 0430 to WNAm (Bob Thomas, CT, June 20,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ZAMBIA. Extended schedule of Christian Voice via Lusaka from May
17: 1500-0300 4965, 0300-0600 6065; formerly off the air between 2200
and 0400 (Observer, Bulgaria, June 19 via DXLD) Brian Alexander
previously reported here 4965 closing at 0257*, so look for it shortly
on 6065 (gh, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ZIMBABWE [non]. Glenn: Re: "I can?t hear 11765 (or 909 !) but 17580
appears to carry News Now (Noël Green, UK, DSWCI Jun 25) Every day?
(gh, DXLD)"

On the 17 and 24 June CW, I gave 17580 as a frequency for Zimbabwe
Forum. That should have been 15460 // 11765 909. The 17580 is the new
frequency for Talk to America to compensate for losing 909. Apologies
to all. 73 (Kim Elliott, June 26, DX LISTENING DIGEST)            ###