[HCDX] Tropical Band Aurora Propagation

The July 16 major geomagnetic storm again renewed an observation to share and
ask whom has noted similar phenomena.

I suspect that under certain geomagnetic conditions the auroral oval may to
some degree cause a focusing or ducting of 90, 75 and 60 tropical band
signals over what are essentially east/west paths from my 33 degree north
latitude.

The same may be true, too, on higher frequency bands though I haven't
explored much above 5100 kHz.

The phenomena manifests in enhanced signal levels with little or no auroral
audio demodulation from stations within a generally specific geographical
area.

The observation July 16 began approximately 0800UT and extended past local
sunrise fade out or sign-off of Solomon Island SIBC, 5020 kHz, Papua New
Guinea NBC, 4890, and other PNG 90 and 60 meter stations commonly reported.

SIBC at 11,785 km and 270 degrees and NBC at 12,975 km and 276 degrees were
at signal levels +40 dB or more above seasonal normals and rivaled the
strength at their annual best.  Nearly all 90 meter PNG outlets were
enhanced, but by only some +12 to +18 dB so the affect was decidedly more
pronounced on 60 meter outlets.
The 4809 kHz outlet faded 50 plus minutes after my sunrise which is typical
of local winter time fade.

Signals from the Aussie 2310, 2325 and 2485 stations were depressed.  Their
azimuth heading is similar to Solomon and PNG Islands, but they are some
2,500 km further from Dallas, TX.

Referring to the real-time auroral oval display on the Internet, the Dallas
to Solomon/PNG path skirted just below the oval.  The Dallas to RRI path led
through the oval and as expected, no RRIs, Asians nor subcontinent stations
were heard.

Given these parameters, I am suspicious of a focusing or ducting anomaly
mechanism.

Comments of similar observations shall be appreciated.  Use your own judgment
whether to post to the group of direct; not everyone is interested in
propagation.

73 from Bill Smith, W5USM
 "Shortwave  Since  1950"