[HCDX] HF links

>  From:    olom@xxxxxxxx (Olivier Lomax)

>  Can't agree with you on that. Ham radio is a nuisance and should be banned
>  once and for all from the SW bands.
>
>  They're using valuable frequency space for silly chit-chat. Initially Ham
>  radio was useful and brought about many improvements but now there is
>  nothing new to discover on SW.
>
>  Why don't these guys concentrate on UHF and higher, where many improvements
>  can still be made, instead of polluting the SW band?
>
>  Olivier Lomax
>  Paris - France

Can´t fully agree with you, Olivier. Hams during the past years have
developed some of the most advanced digital modes used today on HF also by
many commercial and international organisations.

And during times of desaster, in many cases only HF links through ham radio
can provide a vital link to the rest of the world. F.e. I have met with a
Mexican ham, whose licence only allows him to operate on a few bands with low
power, including 40m. They have built a special HF ham net in the remote
valley where he lives, providing instant communications whenever they need it
(they are located in an earthquake region in the highlands of Oaxaca). And
U.S. hams are also always very active when it comes to the establishment of
HF links to troubled areas.

vy73
Harald