[HCDX] One of the Best Latin American DX Openings Ever

[HCDX] One of the Best Latin American DX Openings Ever

"One of the Best Latin American DX Openings Ever"

On the evening of Saturday, 7 OCT 2000, I
DXed from the Tonset Road DXpedition site in
Orleans, Cape Cod, MA.  What I experienced
was one of those auroral propagation "feeding
frenzies" for medium-wave DX from South
America and the Caribbean.  Early on (pre-
sunset), Brazil-760 was coming over daytimer
WVNE.  Other Brazilians on 810 and 1010
showed later.  An interesting aspect of this
opening was that, right after sunset, many
good signals came in from seldom-logged
stations on the "regional" channels above
1210 kHz.

Here are a few examples:
1280 Bermuda ... loud !
1290 R. Puerto Cabello, Venezuela
1320 WUNO, Puerto Rico
1380 Ondas del Mar, Venezuela
1390 Fe y Alegria, Venezuela
1550 R. El Sol, Colombia

I also had many unID's and tentatives in
the above-1210 segment as well as multiple
Latin Americans on most of the lower band
channels.  Most stations were identified
but there were a few intractable waist-
deep pileups too.  Once again I tried to
get an ID out a momentarily huge 1050.3
(any help Florida DXers ?); not only was
1050.3 annihilating WEVD-NY but a 1050.0
Latin American wiped out WEVD as well.
I heard LA's on channels where I've never
noted them before: something on 1560 with
WQEW, a 1510 Spanish talker challenging
WNRB, etc.  There were some hets never
previously noted such as 1269.8 and
1510.51.  Trans-Atlantics were principally
from northwest Africa.  Mauritania-783
(parallel 4845) had an outstanding signal,
Guinea-1385.92 got loud, and Nigeria-1062
was coming through at times.

Typing up all of the logs will take several
days.  I'm also planning to go out to Rowley
or Rockport some night after work this week
for a bit more DX fun.  All this DX is
getting me "psyched up" for the upcoming
Newfoundland DXpedition.  If I'm getting
all this stuff with antennas on top of
the car, just think of what a 1 km Beverage
is going to bring in.

I'll have some tapes to play at the next
Boston Area DXers meeting.  Bruce Conti
will get a copy of the highlights for his
National Radio Club DX Audio Service.
Speaking of Bruce, he's supposed to be
camping on the Maine coast this weekend.
I hope that he could keep warm in the near-
freezing temperatures and that he had the
opportunity to "milk out" the superb band
conditions to southerly DX targets.

=====

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA
e-mail = MarkWA1ION@xxxxxxxxxx
Homepage = http://members.aol.com/MarkWA1ION/weblink.htm

=====