Re: [HCDX] Receiver recommendations

Hi Patrick

I haven't compared the Drake to the AOR, but I have a 7030 and am very
happy with it. The only caveat being the unusual menu system you need to

use on the front panel to do things, some people love it and some people

hate it. I fall in the first category.

The only straight out comparison I have done with any other modern
receiver
is with a borrowed stock standard Icom R75. To my mind the AOR came out
ahead though to be honest that could be because I am more familiar with
driving it. The R75 showed slightly more sensitivity at one stage on 17
MHz, due to the quiet conditions on that day it pulled in a
very weak station a bit before the AOR as it slowly faded up. On the
other
hand, the standard 2 filters in the R75 performed very poorly against
the 5
filters I have in the AOR (4 as standard). Without an external speaker,
highly recommended for both sets, the AOR still had a better sound.

The standard AOR lacks noise blanking functions, but I had little
success
on the R75 with these, most of the buttons seeming to have no effect
(though this may have been due to my inexperience with the set).
Generally
it hasn't caused me too many problems.

My one suggestion with the AOR would be to add a filter at around 4 kHz,

the gap between the 2.2 and 5 kHz filters is just too big. There is
expansion for 2 filters, I purchased one mail order from the USA that
was
close enough in size (will have to hunt the details down) that registers
as
3.8 kHz on the radio (which automatically adds and calibrates
new filters when added) and that is the one I use for most DX listening.

The passband tuning also works very well to cut out adjacent channel
splatter.

Richard