[HCDX] AM DX NewsFlash SPECIAL - NF 2000 REPORT - LARGE ISSUE

[HCDX] AM DX NewsFlash SPECIAL - NF 2000 REPORT - LARGE ISSUE

This is Jean Burnell's NF 2000 report in the NewsFlash format.
If it is too long, please let me know and I will resend in two parts.
Thanks to Jean and the others for such a superb report.

phil bytheway

                    NEWFOUNDLAND  DXPEDITION  IX
                       20 to 30 October, 2000
                 A report assembled by Jean Burnell

Introduction

  It is getting difficult to come up with new introductory angles for
these Newfoundland DXpeditions!  This was the ninth event at
Cappahayden, and, although it might same like all the same again, it is
evident that the Newfoundland DXpedition always seems to yield some of
the very best Trans-Atlantic and Pan-American DX of the season.  I think
that every DXer who participated this year would agree with me that
conditions during the 2000 DXpedition were far from the best we have
seen.  Nevertheless, we logged 100 countries, not counting some short-
wave DX and beacons!  This year's crew consisted of five DXers, all
veterans of Newfoundland DXpeditions.
  John Fisher  [JF]  Calgary, AB  Drake R8A  20 Oct - 25 Oct
  Neil Kazaross  [NK]  Barrington, IL  AOR AR-7030 Plus  21 Oct - 29 Oct
  Jim Renfrew  [JR]  Rochester, NY  Drake R8  23 Oct - 30 Oct
  Mark Connelly  [MC]  Billerica, MA  Drake R8A  26 Oct - 29 Oct
  Jean Burnell  [JB]  St. John's, NF  Drake R8A & Icom R-71A  20 Oct -
    29 Oct
  The antenna configuration was almost the same as in the previous few
years:
Brazilian Beverage:  1 km aimed at eastern Brazil.  Unlike in previous
years, this one was never terminated.  On some evenings, this signal was
amplified through a Kiwa broadband amplifier.
African Beverage:  400 m unterminated wire towards southern Africa.
Whereas this was a productive antenna in 1999, this year this one was
almost useless.
European Beverage:  500 m terminated wire towards northern Europe.  The
signal from this antenna was amplified.
K9AY Loops:  My K9AY system was set up not far from the building.  The
beams were roughly north-east/south-west and north-west/south-east.
Signals were amplified with Kiwa broadband amplifiers, and the two loops
were fed into either side of an MFJ-1026 phasing unit.  In contrast with
last year, the signals from the loops were not usually as strong as
those from any of the Beverages; however, the loops were generally
quieter than the Beverages, which picked up stray RF from the big Loran
C navigational station at Cape Race.
  Beverage antennas were connected through noise-reducing transformers
to coaxial cables that brought the signals into the "shack."  Inside the
"shack" each Beverage was split four ways using ICE splitters.  Neil,
and, especially, Mark were using phasing units from time to time.
Often, however, attempts to phase were pointless as the signals from the
two premier Beverages (Brazilian and European) were so different.  Even
phasing the K9AY loops was unnecessary.  For instance, one evening I
noticed that on 1260 kHz the north-east beam was providing a mixture of
British signals, and in the opposite direction (south-west) on the same
loop CKHJ from Fredericton NB was almost alone; from the south-east
direction Spanish signals were dominant, and from the north-west only a
low-level jumble of signals (CKHJ mainly) was evident.  Everyone used a
cassette recorder.  Minidisks have yet to debut in Cappahayden!
  These DXpedition reports seem to require some meteorological horror
stories.  This year Nature served up some items that require no
embellishment.  As John mentions in his account, the tail-end of a
hurricane came through Newfoundland hours before he arrived.  In St.
John's there was no significant damage, but trees were knocked down in
central Newfoundland.  It was still pretty breezy when John and I set up
the Beverages on the afternoon of October 20th.  The wind was still too
strong (over 100 km/h) to put up the K9AY until a few days after the
DXpedition began.  In the middle of the DXpedition, the night-time
temperatures were going below freezing, so there was ice on the puddles
as I drove back to St. John's in the mornings.  Fortunately, we did not
get any snow, but then towards the end of the DXpedition, we had
torrential rain.  In fact, we had record rainfall.  Apart from making
tricky driving for Mark, who had to drive back to St. John's during the
deluge, it complicated bringing in the Beverages.  The European wire
normally crosses a stream, but at the end of the DXpedition it crossed a
fast-moving river.  The first 100 meters of the Brazilian Beverage
normally crosses a field.  At the end of the DXpedition it crossed a
shallow pond.  However, in spite of my getting an unusual amount of
exercise in the process, I was able to retrieve all of the wires intact,
and, unlike in some earlier DXpeditions, no lengths of wire were
irretrievably caught by the surf along the beach.
  The others have provided fairly extensive DX travelogues, so I will
just deal with the DX that was especially pleasing to me.  DX to Europe
was only so-so generally, but on the first evening I was happy to net
many of the smaller Romanian outlets that had eluded me for some time.
I did not hear any previously unlogged stations from the UK, but the
United Christian Broadcasters outlets in Ireland on 549 and 1593 kHz
were first-time logs.  One evening Neil found the long-wave outlet for
Turkmenistan coming in on 279 kHz, which was a "new" country from
Newfoundland (not counting SW!).  African DX was a bit of a
disappointment, with few "new" stations audible.  We did note Libyan
stations on 675 and 972 kHz that must now be running with sizeable
power.  Also newsworthy is a station on 1305 kHz that we presume is
Sénégal, and Benin seems to have moved to the conventional 9-kHz
frequency of 1476 kHz.  The Togo station that we used to hear regularly
near 1502 kHz has disappeared.  I am always very interested in South
American DX, so I was pleased to add a number of previously unheard
Brazilians to my log book.  Just as thrilling was logging a couple of
new "unlicensed" Argentineans: Radio Folklorisimo on 1410 kHz (a tough
frequency with much Brazilian QRM), and Radio Capital on 1530 kHz.
Radio Uno (650 kHz) was a first-time log from Paraguay.  Jim bagged two
previously unheard stations from the "Deep South," Radio Fenix
(Montevideo, Uruguay) on 1330 kHz and, even better, Radio Difusora
Patagonia (Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina) on 630 kHz.  The sensation of
the 1999 DXpedition was Falkland Islands on 530 kHz.  This time it was
gone.  Stations from the Pacific coast of South America were not heard,
and even the Colombians were strangely muted.
  Before presenting the extensive logs, it remains for me to thank John,
Jim, Neil and Mark for trekking to this isolated spot to share some
memorable DX.  Also, I would like to thank Rocco Cotroneo in Brazil,
Bjarne Mjelde in Norway, Bruce Conti in the USA, and Jarmo Patala in
Finland for their interest and encouragement.  Rocco mounted a parallel
DXpedition in Bahia, the results of which are summarized (with his
permission) at the end of this article.  Jarmo provided me with up-to-
date African DX tips.  Henrik Klemetz in Sweden has been of considerable
assistance to me in skillfully ID'ing stations from South America.
Herman Boel in Belgium is saluted for assembling his excellent European
Medium Wave Guide (EMWG), which was our primary reference for European
and Mediterranean stations.

Trans-Atlantic  DX

 153  ALGERIA   Chaîne 1, Béchar, 25 Oct, 0138 - Arabic music; good
       [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 1943 - Arabic violins; dominant [MC].
 153  NORWAY   NRK, Ingøy, 23 Oct, 2106 - Instrumental piano and music
       by Kool and The Gang, announcements in Norwegian // 1314; poor
       with QRM from Loran and Algeria [JF/JR].
 153  ROMANIA   România Actualitata, Brasov Bod, 21 Oct, 0221 - Lively
       instrumental music and Romanian talk behind Algeria, // 855 and
       1179; SIO 222 [JB/JF].
 162  FRANCE   France-Inter, Allouis, 25 Oct, 0138 - French talk; poor
       [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 1944 - French talk about events this evening; loud [MC].
 171  MOROCCO   R. Méditerranée Internationale, Nador, 24 Oct, 0008 - //
       9575 [JR].
     + 25 Oct, 0139 - Arabic music; fair [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 1945 - Woman in Arabic; over Russia [MC].
 171  RUSSIA   R. Moscow / R. Rossii, synchros, 27 Oct, 1945 - Slavic
       talk; under Morocco [MC].
 177  GERMANY   DeutschlandRadio Berlin, Oranienburg, 27 Oct, 1946 -
       Classical violin music [MC].
 180  TURKEY   TRT, Polatli, 27 Oct, 0118 - Tentative; weak audio [JR].
 183  GERMANY   Europe No. 1, Felsberg, 27 Oct, 1947 - Huge with French
       talk about a women's store [MC].
 189  ICELAND   Ríkisútvarpid, Gufuskalar, 23 Oct, 2012 - Rock music
       with Icelandic announcements audible all day long; good with
       Loran QRM [JF].
     + 24 Oct, 0010 - Heard all day long, talk & music [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 1948 - Two men in Icelandic; very good [MC].
 198  ENGLAND   BBC R. 4, Droitwich et al.,  25 Oct, 0140 - World
       Service program // 1413; good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 1949 - Discussion on Senator John McCain's role in the
       2000 US presidential election [MC].
 207  GERMANY   DLF, Aholming, 28 Oct, 2219 - // 1422 [JR].
 207  MOROCCO   RTM, Azilal, 25 Oct, 0140 - Arabic music; good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0225 - // 612 with Arabic female vocal [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 1950 - Woman in Arabic, then string music; over 1 or 2
       others [MC].
 216  FRANCE / MONACO   R. Monte Carlo, Roumoules, 27 Oct, 1950 - French
       telephone chat, then dance-club music; excellent [MC].
 225  POLAND   Polskie R., Konstantynow, 25 Oct, 0250 - Polish
       Newsmagazine program, ID; good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 1951 - Slavic phone interview; to fair peak [MC].
 234  LUXEMBOURG   R. Luxembourg, Junglinster, 25 Oct, 0142 - Rock
       music; good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 1953 - Rock song "A Reason to Be Here"; good [MC].
 243  UNID   27 Oct, 1955 - Drumming, unID language talk; poor [MC].
 252  IRELAND   Atlantic 252, Clarkestown, 25 Oct, 0143 - Rap music;
       good [JF].
 261  RUSSIA   R. Rossii, Taldom, 28 Oct, 2300 - Five-plus-one pips,
       then woman with news [JR].
 270  CZECH REP.   Cesky Rozhlas, Uherské-Hradisté, 27 Oct, 2020 - Czech
       talk; under "O" beacon [MC].
 279  TURKMENISTAN   Turkmen R., Asgabat, 27 Oct, 0000-0005, 0022 -
       Interval signal, male announcer the choral anthem at 0001,
       distinctive local music at 0022 recheck, // 5015; bravo Neil for
       finding this! SIO 252 [JB/JF/JR/MC/NK].
 527  VATICAN CITY   R. Vaticana, Vatican, 23 Oct, 0040 - Very
       tentative; it sounded like I managed to pull some bits of their
       soft music atop the bad low-band slop here; it's unclear why this
       isn't heard here as I heard them a few times in Maine in the
       early 1980's, and they're heard well when I am in the French
       Riviera [NK].
 531  UNID   28 Oct, 2100 - German program with news mentioning hackers
       breaking into Microsoft's corporate computer system; over/under
       Switzerland. Is MDF-Info not on the air? [MC].
 531  SPAIN   RNE R. 5 synchros, 27 Oct, 0327 - Spanish group
       discussion; over Arabic & classical music stations [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 2033 - Spanish talk mentioning "Estados Unidos" [MC].
     + 29 Oct, 0130 - // 684 with classical music; over Algeria [MC].
 531  SWITZERLAND   DRS1, Beromünster, 28 Oct, 2100 - Religious-sounding
       choral vocal followed by Swiss-dialect German; mixed with station
       in German [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 2105 - Tentative; accordion music, no ID announcements
       heard [JR].
 540  BELGIUM   R. Twee, Wavre, 24 Oct, 2338 - Music by Bob Dylan //
       1188; poor [JF/JR].
 540  HUNGARY   Kossuth R., Solt, 25 Oct, 0338 - Huge, just blowing away
       CBT [NK].
     + 25 Oct, 0354 - Presumed; woman talking, mentioning "Budapest"
       often; SIO 322 mixed with Spain and CBT [JB].
 540  SPAIN   Onda Cero, Barcelona, 29 Oct, 2328 - Interview //
       1080/1341 [JR].
 549  ALGERIA   Chaîne 1, Les Trembles, 29 Oct, 0116 - // 891 with
       Arabic rock vocal with energetic drumming; loud [MC].
 549  IRELAND   United Christian Broadcasters, Monaghan, 20 Oct, 2056 -
       Modern gospel song; SIO 222 under Algeria [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 0057-0104 - Religious pop music until 0102, then woman
       spoke about Revelations, music again a few minutes later; SIO 333
       [JB].
     + 24 Oct, 0718-0727 - Easy-listening religious vocals, female
       announcer with Irish accent; fading down by 0725; fair to good
       [JF].
     + 26 Oct, 2255 - ID and announcements at end of music program,
       announcer keeps saying "God is in control" [JR].
     + 26 Oct, 2304 - EE Christian music; excellent [MC].
 558  SPAIN   RNE R. 5 synchros, 25 Oct, 0332 - Spanish Radio call-in //
       576-Barcelona; 603-Palencia; 657-Madrid; poor [JF].
     + 29 Oct, 0115 - // 774 with Moorish music (Arabic-sounding, but
       with a full classical orchestra); fair [MC].
 567  IRELAND   RTE R. 1, Tullamore, 29 Oct, 0112 - Good with jazz
       saxophone version of "Makin' Whoopie" [MC].
 576  GERMANY   Mega R., Wöbbelin, 26 Oct, 2321 - Presumed; non-stop
       dance music, // 1575; SIO 332 [JB].
     + 26 Oct, 2325 - "Mega" ID, dance music, // 1575 [JR/MC].
 585  SPAIN   RNE R. 1, Madrid, 29 Oct, 0130 - // 684 with classical
       music; poor, in VOCM-590 slop [MC].
 594  PORTUGAL   R. Renascença, Muge, 29 Oct, 0150 - // 963 with
       emotional Portuguese vocal; poor to fair through VOCM slop [MC].
 603  ROMANIA   România Actualitata, Botoshani, 21 Oct, 0253 - Romanian
       music, // 1152; SIO 232 with QRM from Spain [JB].
 603  SPAIN   RNE R. 5 synchros, 29 Oct, 0132 - // 684 et al. with
       classical music; very good [MC].
 612  IRELAND   RTE 2FM, Athlone, 27 Oct, 0349 - "Rescue Me" (the old
       Fontella Bass hit) new version with rapping; excellent [MC].
 612  MOROCCO   RTM, Sebaa-Aioun, 22 Oct, 2048 - Arabic talk by man;
       fair [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0225 - // 207 with Arabic female vocal [MC].
     + 29 Oct, 0107 - // 819 with talk about Arabic culture; loud [MC].
 621  BELGIUM   RTV Belge Communauté Française, Wavre, 27 Oct, 0348 -
       French talk, pop music [MC].
 621  CANARY IS.   RNE R. 1, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, 25 Oct, 0337 -
       Flamenco music // RNE 5 and other RNE 1 stations; poor [JF].
     + 29 Oct, 0108 - Spanish talk about Broadway musicals, segments of
       "America" and "Maria" from "West Side Story;" huge signal, // 684
       [MC].
 630  NORWAY   NRK, Vigra, 25 Oct, 0115 - Pop music and Norwegian
       announcements // 1314; poor [JF/JR].
 630  PORTUGAL   RDP, Santa Isabel, 29 Oct, 2059 - // 666 [JR].
 630  TUNISIA   ERTT, Tunis, 23 Oct, 2207 - Presumed; Arabic music and
       talks; poor [JF].
     + 26 Oct, 2328 - Arabic music; briefly over CFCY [MC].
 648  ENGLAND   BBC European Service, Orfordness, 25 Oct, 0358 - Woman
       in English, BBC ID at 0400; SIO 332. This is a garbage log to say
       that frequent monitoring of this frequency failed to unearth any
       hint of Gambia [JB].
 666  PORTUGAL   RDP Antena 1, Lisboa & Vila Real, 27 Oct, 0347 - Man in
       Portuguese, then piano music [MC].
 675  LIBYA   Libyan Jamahiriya BC, Benghazi, 23 Oct, 2226-2242* -
       Arabic music and talks, gongs and full ID at 2229, talk by a man,
       Koranic recitations at 2234, seemed to be // 972 although 972 was
       slightly behind 675, anthem at 2241; SIO 333 [JB/JF/JR].
 675  NETHERLANDS   R. 10, Lopik, 26 Oct, 2330 - Excellent with Paul
       Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" [MC].
 684  SPAIN   RNE R. 1, Sevilla, 29 Oct, 0108 - // 621 with Spanish talk
       about Broadway musicals, segments of songs from "West Side Story"
       were played; good signal [MC].
 693  ENGLAND   BBC R. 5, Droitwich et al., 27 Oct, 0346 - Talk about
       on-line "dot com" businesses [MC].
 693  SPAIN   RNE R. 1 synchros, 29 Oct, 2039 - // 684 with sports [JR].
 693.7  AZORES   Centro Regional da RDP, Terceira, 27 Oct, 0415 - // 836
       with soft vocal [MC].
     + 29 Oct, 0101 - Portuguese news by man; good [MC].
 702  GERMANY   Norddeutscher Rundfunk, Flensburg, 27 Oct, 2308 - Man in
       German; over Slovakia [MC].
 702  MOROCCO   RTM, Sebaa-Aioun, 29 Oct, 0121 - Woman in Arabic; fair
       [MC].
 702  SLOVAKIA    Slovensky Rozhlas, Banská Bystrica & Presov, 22 Oct,
       0224 - Easy-listening pop music // 1098; fair to good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0222 - // (huge) 1098 with "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen;
       good [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 0345 - Pips, Slavic talk, woman mentioned "slovensko"
       [MC].
 711  FRANCE   R. Bleu, Rennes, 27 Oct, 0220 - // 1206 with male folk-
       rock vocal; good [MC].
 711.06  WESTERN SAHARA / MOROCCO   RTM, Laayoune, 28 Oct, 2352 -
       Teletalk, then music at 2349, not // 207, anthem heard at 0058
       [JR].
 720  GERMANY   Westdeutscher Rundfunk, Langenberg, 25 Oct, 0505 -
       Report from Wuppertal, orchestral music; SIO 322 with QRM from
       Spain and CHTN [JB].
 720  NORTHERN IRELAND   BBC R. 4, Lisnagarvey, 21 Oct, 0304 - World
       Service news, "Brain of Britain 2000" show; fair [JF].
 720  PORTUGAL   RDP1, São Salvador, 24 Oct, 0010 - Portuguese talk,
       best on the European wire so likely not Brazil; fair [JF].
 738  ISRAEL   Kol Israel Network D, Tel Aviv, 28 Oct, 2013-2016, 2035-
       2101 - Likely; Arabic program (the announcers'accents consistent
       with Israel Program D); at 2013 Arabic music; at 2035 woman with
       news (without obvious bias in the reports), male introduced more
       music at 2044, but no ID discerned since it faded far under Spain
       at 2100; peaking at SIO 333.  This station had been off the air
       due to alleged problems with the electromagnetic radiation
       levels.  "The Israeli newspaper 'Ha'aretz' reported on Aug 21
       that an agreement had been reached to resume transmission from
       the Zoran station for a three month period with one seventh of
       the station's usual power of 1200 kW. (BBC M via DXLD in BC-DX
       via ARC)" [JB/JR/MC].
 756  GERMANY   DeutschlandRadio, Braunschweig & Ravensburg, 27 Oct,
       0351 - Man and woman in German; over/under Spain [MC].
 756  SPAIN   R. Euskadi, Bilbao, 27 Oct, 0351 - Spanish talk mixed with
       Germany [MC].
 760  YEMEN   Yemen R., Mukalla, 26 Oct, 2049 - Tentative; woman singer,
       but not ID'ed [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 2038 - Female Arabic vocal; poor, only audible on Euro-
       Bev; Brazil won on the other Bev's [MC].
 764.97  SÉNÉGAL   RT Sénégal, Dakar, 25 Oct, 2028 - Poor (low power)
       with French talk [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 2035 - Arabic talk by man; over Switzerland on Afro-Bev
       [MC].
 765  ENGLAND   BBC R. Essex, Chelmsford, 26 Oct, 0229 - // 882, except
       for 0233 local break-out [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 2100 - BBC news evident as RSR stopped music and went
       into news; SIO 222-1 [JB].
     + 26 Oct, 2305 - Over the Swiss (!!!) with local weather, then into
       "5 Live" [NK].
 765  SAUDI ARABIA   BSKSA, Qurayyat or Khamasin, 26 Oct, 0320 - Running
       same audio as 1521 but slightly offset; this was not Turkey; I
       suspect they have raised power [NK].
 765  SWITZERLAND   RSR, Sottens, 24 Oct, 2258 - Soft pop music, French
       news at 2300; good [JF].
     + 26 Oct, 2203 - Swiss news and weather, into pop music before the
       station underneath playing pop music could be identified; SIO 444
       [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 0352 - "Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendrix; excellent [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 2035 - "Baby I Love You" by the Supremes; huge signal on
       Euro-Bev [MC].
 765  TURKEY   TRT-1, Gaziantep, 28 Oct, 1942-1948 - // 954 etc. with
       music and then women in Turkish mixed in growl with other
       stations; during a huge fade by the Swiss [NK].
 774  EGYPT   Middle East Commercial Service, Tanta, 28 Oct, 0100 -
       Tentative; under RNE, Jean identifies Jon Anderson and Vangelis
       music "Friends of Mr. Cairo," chime heard after RNE pips and ID
       [JR].
     + 29 Oct, 1925 - English lesson, then Egyptian pop [JR].
 783  MAURITANIA   ORTM, Nouakchott, 20 Oct, 2042 - Local language talk
       // 4845; fair to good [JF].
     + 23 Oct, 2317 - Strong with music, // 4845 [JR].
 783  PORTUGAL   R. Comercial, Miramar, 26 Oct, 2332 - Man in
       Portuguese; over others [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 0404 - // 1035 with soul-influenced mellow Portuguese
       vocal [MC].
 783  SYRIA   Syrian Arab Republic BC, Tartus, 27 Oct, 0015 - // 831.5
       with Koran [MC].
 792  FRANCE   R. Bleu, Limoges, 26 Oct, 2332 - // 1206 with '70s
       "bubblegum" influenced French pops [MC].
 810  MACEDONIA   R. Macedonia, Skopje, 20 Oct, 2057-2100 - Folk music
       briefly above Spain than back down; fair [JF].
 810  SCOTLAND   BBC R. Scotland synchros, 26 Oct, 2335 - // 882 with
       talk about a reporter and a musician living in Nigeria; good
       [MC].
 810  SPAIN   SER R. Madrid, Madrid, 20 Oct, 2054 - Man with Spanish
       talk over Macedonia; fair [JF].
 819  EGYPT   General Programme, Batra, 20 Oct, 2017 - Talk in Arabic //
       12050; fair [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0217 - // 9754.4 with Koran; huge [MC].
     + 29 Oct, 1916 - // 12050 news talk [JR].
 819  MOROCCO   RTM, Rabat, 29 Oct, 0107 - // 612 with talk about Arabic
       culture; loud [MC].
 819  SPAIN   R. Euskadi, San Sebastián, 29 Oct, 2053 - // 756 & 963
       with sports [JR].
 828  NETHERLANDS   Arrow Classic Rock, Rotterdam, 21 Oct, 2016 - Ads;
       fair [JF].
     + 26 Oct, 0507 - ID during music program [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 0255 - Dutch talk, then "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner [MC].
 830.6  SYRIA   ORT Arab Syrienne, Deir el Zawr, 25 Oct, 2254 - Poor to
       fair in peaks, Arabic chants, // 783; this was drifting all
       around 831 the whole DXpedition [NK].
 831.5  SYRIA   ORT Arab Syrienne, Deir el Zawr, 27 Oct, 0015 - //
       with Koran [MC].
 836  AZORES   Centro Regional da RDP, Barrosa, 27 Oct, 0415 - // 693.7
       with soft vocal [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 2210 - Huge with portion of a speech; not // Madeira-1125
       at this time [MC].
 837  CROATIA   Hrvatski R., Gospic, 24 Oct, 2255 - Old pop standards //
       1125 & 1134; poor [JF/JR].
 837  ENGLAND   BBC Asian Network, Freeman's Common, 27 Oct, 0214 -
       Presumed; in subcontinental language, with talk that mentioned
       "Pakistan" a few times; SIO 322 under Spain [JB].
 837  FRANCE   R. Bleu, Nancy, 20 Oct, 2021 - This station and its
       numerous channels were almost a pest due to their strong signals
       showing up all over the dials; fair with French oldies and
       announcements; also heard on 1206 Bordeaux - fair; 864 Paris -
       good; 945 Toulouse - fair; 1242 Marseille - poor; 1404 synchros -
       fair; 1494 synchros - poor; 1557 Nice - poor [JF].
 846  ITALY   RAI R. Due, Roma, 20 Oct, 2019-2048 - Old pop tunes such
       as "Respect," Italian announcements; good [JF].
     + 28 Oct, 0104 - English talk about an Italian-American dinner in
       Washington; good, // 900 [MC].
 846  SOUTH AFRICA   R. Xhosa, Komga, 25 Oct, 2225 - Xhosa talk, losing
       it slowly to Italy on the K9AY; SIO 222 [JB].
     + 25 Oct, 2225 - Up to very good peaks on the African Beverage,
       with Xhosa tele-talk; the best heard of the trip [NK].
 855  ROMANIA   România Actualitata, Bucuresti, 26 Oct, 2353 - // 1179
       with choral vocal; under Spain [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 0156 - // 1404 & 1530 with news [JR].
 864  ARMENIA   Trans-World R., Kamo, 27 Oct, 0029 - Sign-on with TWR
       interval signal then music; over France & Egypt, SIO 322
       [JB/JR/MC].
 864  EGYPT   Holy Koran R., Santah, 27 Oct, 2051 - Arabic vocal //
       9754.4; atop France [MC].
     + 29 Oct, 2000 - Koran reading, pips 40 seconds late, "Qoran" heard
       during tape replay [JR].
 873  BOTSWANA   R. Botswana, Ghanzi, 24 Oct, 2110 - African dance music
       and male announcer taking cell-phone call-ins // 4820 & 972; poor
       [JF/JR].
 873  MOLDOVA   R. Moldova, Chisinau, 26 Oct, 0258 - 1-kHz tone at 0252,
       then man and woman with news, // 1494 [JR].
 873  NORTHERN IRELAND   BBC R. Ulster, Enniskillen, 21 Oct, 2225 -
       Irish tunes // 1341; SIO 322 [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 0300 - BBC World Service ID, news; SIO 222 under Spain
       and eastern European [JB].
 882  CANARY IS. & SPAIN   COPE synchros, 27 Oct, 2048 - Man & woman in
       Spanish; huge, way over UK [MC].
 882  ENGLAND   BBC R. Wales, Washford, 26 Oct, 2302 - News about
       Zimbabwe parliament voting on impeachment of President Mugabe
       [MC].
 882  SPAIN   COM R., Sabadell, 23 Oct, 2121 - ID, ads; SIO 333 over
       other Spanish signal [JB].  29 Oct, 1947 - ID heard during talk
       [JR].
 882  SPAIN   COPE synchros, 29 Oct, 1915 - Sports // 837 [JR].
 882  YUGOSLAVIA   R. Podgorica synchros, 28 Oct, 2008 - Woman with
       news, ID at 2010; SIO 322 with distorted audio and QRM from BBC
       R. Wales [JB].
 891  ALGERIA   Chaîne 1, Alger, 29 Oct, 0116 - // 549 with hard-rock
       Arabic music; fair over rumble [MC].
 891  LESOTHO   R. Lesotho, Maseru, 22 Oct, 1942 - Choral music, //
       4800; SIO 232 under Portugal and Algeria [JB].  24 Oct, 2046-2102
       - Talks in local language, pop music, time pips over the music at
       2100; poor with QRM from Algeria and Portugal, // 4800 [JF/JR].
 891  NETHERLANDS   NOS R. 5, Hulsberg, 24 Oct, 2009-2025 - Man talking
       about artists, music. // 1008; good [JF/JR].
 891  PORTUGAL   R. Renascença, Vila Moura, 24 Oct, 2100 - Portuguese ID
       over Lesotho on Brazilian wire to eliminate Algeria; fair [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 2047 - Portuguese teletalk; over Algeria [MC].
     + 29 Oct, 2039 - Football play-by-play, // 1251 [JR].
 891  TURKEY   TRT-1, Antalya, 28 Oct, 1933 - // 1017, 954 with Middle
       East female vocal; over growl from other signals [MC].
 900  ITALY   RAI R. Uno, Milano, 28 Oct, 0104 - // 846 with English
       talk about an Italian-American dinner in Washington; over
       Canadians and Latin Americans [MC].
 900  SAUDI ARABIA   BSKSA, Qurayyat, 27 Oct, 0325 - // 1521 with bits
       of Koran; under presumed Italy & CKDH [MC].
 900  SPAIN   COPE synchros, 29 Oct, 1915 - Sports // 837 [JR].
 907.81  GAMBIA   R. Syd, Banjul, 21 Oct, 2121 - News report, then ad or
       jingle; SIO 232-1 with big fades [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 2041 - African music with a man talking over it [MC].
 909  BOTSWANA   VOA Relay, Selebi-Phikwe, 21 Oct, 2119-2130* - "VOA
       News Now" with sports news, movie review, at 2128 there was an
       announcement that many affiliates would take a 2 minute break,
       news headlines then off; SIO 433 [JB/JF].
     + 24 Oct, 2042 - VOA program, // 1530 [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 2058 - // São Tomé - 1530 with US dance-rock music; over
       others [MC].
 909  MOROCCO   RTM, Safi, 25 Oct, 2007 - Over and under BBC with music,
       // 1044 & 774 [NK].
 909  ROMANIA   România Actualitata, Jucu, 21 Oct, 0251 - Romanian music
       getting pulverized by BBC but // 1152; SIO 222 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 0247-0250 - Violin folk music // 1152 & 1530; poor under
       BBC [JF].
 945  ANGOLA   R. Nacional, Cazenga, 25 Oct, 2052 - French program with
       ID; QRM from R. Bleu, SIO 233 [JB].
     + 25 Oct, 2100 - French program, interval signal, 3 pips, English
       ID "broadcasting from Luanda" [JR].
 945  LATVIA   Latvijas R., Riga, 26 Oct, 2154 - VOA Special English
       "Visions of a Nation" faded up briefly over France, // 1350 and
       1422; SIO 333-2 [JB/JF].
 954  TURKEY   TRT, Trabzon, 21 Oct, 2222-2302 - Stringed instrumental
       music, brief announcement at 2233 and then more music, time pips,
       ID and news at 2300, // 1062 good [JF].
     + 21 Oct, 2227 - Turkish music, talk, // 1062.08; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 2305 - // 1017 & 1062 with Turkish anthem at sign-off;
       excellent, over Spain [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 2240 - Turkish vocal; loud, over Spain [MC].
 963  ENGLAND   R. Liberty, Lee Bridge Road/London, 24 Oct, 2025 - //
       972 [JR].
     + 24 Oct, 2028-2037 - Man describing unusual foreign holidays, ad
       for "RAF Recruiting," jingle ID and music by Don McLean and
       Whitney Houston // 972; poor [JF].
 963  PORTUGAL   R. Renascença, Seixal, 23 Oct, 2257 - Tentative; pop
       music and time pips, talk by a woman in Portuguese at 2300; fair
       [JF].
     + 25 Oct, 0100 - ID, news; SIO 433 [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 2349 - Portuguese teletalk, then speech [MC].
     + 29 Oct, 0150 - // 594 with emotional Portuguese vocal; good [MC].
 963  SPAIN   R. Euskadi, Vitória, 27 Oct, 2301 - Spanish news; dominant
       [MC].
     + 29 Oct, 2053 - // 756 & 819 sport [JR].
 963  TUNISIA   RTV Tunisienne, Tunis, 24 Oct, 2232 - Tentative; French
       news (RTVT listed here with French as part of its International
       Service); fair with QRM from R. Euskadi and Portugal [JF].
 963  UNID   22 Oct, 2035 - Seemed like religious talk in Portuguese, so
       sign of Renascença on other frequencies; SIO 332 on Brazilian
       Beverage [JB].
     + 22 Oct, 2101 - News in French (over another station in French),
       then, with big fanfare, began in Portuguese with news, pop music
       at 2105, Mozambique suspected; SIO 332 on Brazilian Beverage
       [JB].
 972  BOTSWANA   R. Botswana, Sebele, 24 Oct, 2110 - African dance music
       and male announcer taking cell-phone call-ins // 4820 and 873;
       very poor [JF].
 972  ENGLAND   R. Liberty, Southall/London, 24 Oct, 2028-2037 - Man
       describing unusual foreign holidays, ad for "RAF Recruiting,"
       jingle ID and music by Don McLean and Whitney Houston // 963;
       fair [JF/JR].
 972  GERMANY Norddeutscher Rundfunk, Hamburg, 20 Oct, 2110-2202 -
       Program of Spanish music, ID and brief news at 2130; SIO 333
       [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 2130-2203 - ID, long German talk by man and woman with
       many mentions of North Korea, ads and program announcements at
       2158, news at 2200, by 2203 a co-channel Arabic station dominated
       the frequency; good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0302 - German news mentioning 'untergrund' Arab
       organizations; excellent [MC].
 972  LIBYA   Libyan Jamahiriya BC, Sirte, 20 Oct, 2110-2202 - Telephone
       interviews, poetry, Arabic music, talk through the top of the
       hour; initially poor under Germany but occasionally dominant; SIO
       322 [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 2234, 2243 - Koran at 2234, Libyan anthem in progress at
       retune at 2243; SIO 343 [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 2230 - News, ID, into Koran at 2233, anthem from 2241,
       and off by 2243; SIO 232 [JB/JF].
     + 28 Oct, 2238 - Koranic vocal; excellent [MC].
 972  SPAIN   RNE R. 1 synchros, 29 Oct, 2050 - Sports, // 684 [JR].
 981  GREECE   ERA, Athens, 23 Oct, 0315-0324 - Tentative; disco music
       with announcements in what sounded like Greek; fair [JF].
 990  WALES   BBC R. 5, Tywyn, Oct 24, 0231 - Radio 5 sports // 909;
       poor [JF].
 999  SPAIN   COPE Madrid, Madrid, 29 Oct, 0153 - Man & woman in Spanish
       talking about municipal government; good [MC].
1008  CANARY IS.   Onda Cero, Las Palmas, 24 Oct, 0034-0106 - Spanish
       documentary over music, ads and talks, mentioned "Onda Cero" at
       0059, time pips and time check, news by woman at 0100; not // SER
       stations on 1575; good [JF].
     + 29 Oct, 0154 - Spanish teletalk (not // SER-1044); a short
       segment of light classical music was inserted, then more
       teletalk; excellent signal [MC].
1008  NETHERLANDS   NOS R. 5, Flevoland, 24 Oct, 2009-2025 - Man talking
       about artists, music; good [JF].
     + 28 Oct, 2253 - Ethnic programming; Arabic at this time (don't
       mistake this for Yemen) [MC].
1017  ENGLAND   Classic Gold WABC, Shrewsbury, 23 Oct, 0336 - ID,
       weather; SIO 332 with German QRM [JB].
1017  GERMANY   SWR-1, Wolfsheim, 22 Oct, 2057-2104 - Music by Santana,
       ID as "Sudwest Radio Einz", time pips, news; good [JF].
1017  TURKEY   TRT-1, Mundanya, 24 Oct, 2004 - Football, // 9460 [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 2305 - // 954 & 1062 with Turkish anthem at sign-off;
       under Germany & Spain [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 1932 - // 891 & 954 with female vocal; huge [MC].
1026  CHANNEL IS.   BBC R. Jersey, Trinity, 23 Oct, 0121 - Tentative;
       discussion of US politics // 1548; listed as either
       Cambridgeshire or Jersey (which has higher power); poor to fair
       [JF].
1026  IRAN   IRIB, Tabriz, 23 Oct, 0113 - Koran, then Pachelbel's
       "Canon," // 15084.45; SIO 222-1 with Spain and Brits dominating
       [JB].
     + 26 Oct, 0200 - Call to Prayer? // 1467 [JR].
1026  RUSSIA   R. Mayak small synchros, 28 Oct, 2045 - // 1143, but no
       interval signal at 2100 [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 2047 - Jazz piano piece, // 1143; SIO 222 [JB].
     + 28 Oct, 2055 - // 1143 with jazz / cocktail oldies including
       "Just One of Those Things" by Louis Armstrong; over/under Spain
       [MC].
1026  SPAIN   SER synchros, 29 Oct, 1915 - Sports, echoes [JR].
1035  PORTUGAL   R. Comercial, Lisboa, 27 Oct, 0404 - // 783 with soul-
       influenced mellow Portuguese vocal [MC].
1044  GERMANY   MDR Info, Dresden, 26 Oct, 2323 - German news over
       Spain; SIO 333 [JB/MC].
1044  SPAIN   SER synchros, 26 Oct, 0439 - Two stations, distinct echo
       [JR].
1053  ENGLAND   TalkSport synchros, 28 Oct, 1927 - Phone number 878-
       405060 used, then a phone-in from Bognor Beach about stormy
       conditions: wind picked up a caravan and tipped it over [MC].
1053  ROMANIA   R. România, Iasi, 27 Oct, 0256 - Romanian anthem at
       equal strength as TalkSport; SIO 422 [JB/JR].
     + 27 Oct, 1817 - Romanian talk about Constanca and other cities;
       atop UK [MC].
1053  SPAIN   COPE synchros, 29 Oct, 1840 - Sports play-by-play, under
       TalkSport [JR].
1062  DENMARK   Danmarks R., Kalundborg, 23 Oct, 2004-2012 - English
       news and weather read by Anders Koch, Arabic news at 2005, news
       in an unID language at 2010; good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 1816 - Danish talk, then "I'm So Excited" by the Pointer
       Sisters [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 2205 - News in English [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 1929 - English talk by French-accented man, then a disco
       instrumental [MC].
1062  NIGERIA   Enugu State Broadcasting Service, Onitsha, 22 Oct, 2015-
       2021 - English commentary on "Night Travel and Road Accidents,"
       announcer said that this was the last newscast of the day, jingle
       ID "Radio ?" program of pop music which the female announcer said
       was her favorite program; fair with usual poor modulation [JF].
     + 22 Oct, 2018 - Woman DJ in English introduced rap music; SIO 343
       [JB].
     + 25 Oct, 2219 - Male DJ introduced soul and reggae music; SIO 343
       [JB].
     + 25 Oct, 2231 - Tentative; music, female DJ, poor [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 2139 - R&B, disco and dance music, announcement at 2159
       "studio ... eleven o'clock" (male DJ), song "I Love You" follows
       [JR].
1062.07  TURKEY   TRT-1, Diyarbakir, 21 Oct, 2222-2302 - Stringed
       instrumental music, brief announcement at 2233 and then more
       music, time pips, ID and news at 2300, // 954; good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 2305 - // 954 & 1017 with Turkish anthem at sign-off;
       dominant [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 2233 - Over growl with Turkish talk [MC].
1071  ENGLAND   TalkSport synchros, 26 Oct, 0431 - // 1089 & 1107 [JR].
1071  SPAIN   Euskadi Irratia, Bilbao, 28 Oct, 1847 - Two men in
       Spanish; alone on channel [MC].
1080  SPAIN   Onda Cero, Toledo, 29 Oct, 2328 - Interview // 540 & 1341
       [JR].
1080  SPAIN   SER synchros, 27 Oct, 0205 - "Radio SER" ID; over WTIC
       [MC].
1088  ANGOLA   R. Nacional, Mulenvas, 27 Oct, 2136 - Music, romantic
       Portuguese vocal; very low audio level on S8 carrier [MC].
1089  ENGLAND   TalkSport synchros, 27 Oct, 1815 - Announcer: "Listen to
       TalkSport without static and re-tuning: go to
       'ukdigitalradio.com' " [MC].
1089  RUSSIA   R.Chechnya Svobodnaya, Krasnodar, 28 Oct, 0200 - Enormous
       signalafter test tones ended with sign-on and ID in Russian
       [MC/NK].
1098  SLOVAKIA   R. Slovensko, Velké Záluzie, 24 Oct, 2242 - Man taking
       call-ins from listeners, // 702; good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0222 - // 702 with "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen;
       excellent [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 1813 - Folk song, Slavic talk by woman; very good [MC].
1098  SPAIN   RNE R. 5 synchros, 29 Oct, 1910 - // RNE5 sports [JR].
1107  ENGLAND   TalkSport synchros, 22 Oct, 0320 - Call-in show, //
       1053, 1089; poor [JF].
     + 23 Oct, 0000 - ID, sports talk, of course; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 26 Oct, 0426 - ID, news about Microsoft [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 0145 - Ad for personal dating service; over Spain [MC].
1107  ENGLAND   unID station, 22 Oct, 2317-0005 - Soft pop music such as
       Carpenters, Mariah Carey with a very mellow male announcer, time
       pips at 0100 and into news and weather, // 1089 after 0000, but
       was not //  before 0000 so not certain that this was TalkSport.
       Do they run separate programs at times? Fair [JF].
1107  GERMANY   AFN synchros, 22 Oct, 2355 - Promo for ESPN baseball,
       but faded under TalkSport and Spain within a few minutes; SIO 333
       [JB].
1107  SCOTLAND   Moray Firth R., Inverness, 23 Oct, 0056-0104 - Oldies
       music, ID as "Good Times and Great Music on Classic Gold," news
       at 0100, ID and Bee Gees music; note that Moray Firth picks up
       Classic Gold overnight; poor to fair with TalkSport R. QRM [JF].
1116  CHANNEL IS. & ENGLAND   BBC R. 5, Guernsey & Derby, 24 Oct, 0243-
       0306 - Both stations heard with BBC R. 5 with 1 station about 1
       second out of phase with the other causing a delay effect,
       program was "Up All Night," a newsmagazine show, news and sports
       at 0300; poor to fair [JF].
1125  BELGIUM   RTBF R. Trafic Plus, Houdeng, 28 Oct, 0127 - Tentative;
       back-to-back pop music, but no announcements heard, // 1233; SIO
       242 [JB/JR/MC].
1125  CROATIA   Hvratski R., Deanovec, 21 Oct, 2325 - Easy-listening
       music, // 1134; fair to good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0203 - // 1134 with talk, then folk guitar [MC].
1125  MADEIRA   Centro Regional da RDP, Ponta do Pargo, 24 Oct, 2200 -
       Portuguese news mentioning Funchal; poor [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 2207 - Portuguese news [MC].
     + 29 Oct, 0118 - // 666, 693.7, & 836 with Simon & Garfunkel's "Old
       Friends," some Portuguese talk, then Paul Simon's "Still Crazy
       After All These Years;" fair signal [MC].
1134  CROATIA   Hrvatski R., Zadar, 27 Oct, 0203 - Slavic talk about the
       UN's Kofi Annan; way over Spain [MC].
1134  SPAIN   COPE synchros, 29 Oct, 1843 - Sports play-by-play [JR].
1143  GERMANY   AFN synchros, 23 Oct, 2054-2102 - "NPR Worldwide on the
       Armed Forces Network," at 2100 went into "All Things Considered,"
       the NPR Newsmagazine; poor to fair with co-channel QRM from
       Croatia [JF].
     + 25 Oct, 2058 - "This is NPR" and English talk; under Spain, SIO
       222 [JB].
1143  KALININGRAD / RUSSIA   R. Mayak, Bolshakovo, 28 Oct, 2045 - //
       1026, interval signal at 2100, American jazz standards [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 2055 - // 1026 with jazz / cocktail oldies including
       "Just One of Those Things" by Louis Armstrong; huge. (I don't
       know why this isn't heard in the US more often.) [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 2203 - Slavic news by woman mentioning Macedonia, Bosnia,
       then into music; superloud [MC].
1143  SPAIN   COPE Orense, Orense, 28 Oct, 2101 - "COPE Orense" ID; SIO
       333 [JB].
1143  SPAIN   COPE Oviedo, Oviedo, 25 Oct, 2058 - Local announcements,
       back to network program at 2100; SIO 322 [JB].
1143  SPAIN   COPE synchros, 29 Oct, 1843 - Sports play-by-play [JR].
1152  IRAN   IRIB, Tabriz, 28 Oct, 2130 - Farsi talk, possible news, //
       1503; SIO 322 [JB].
     + 28 Oct, 2134 - // 1566 & 1503 [JR].
1152  ROMANIA   R. România, Cluj, 21 Oct, 0252-0303 - Lively folk music
       with lots of violins, nice ID at 0259, time pips, fanfare and
       news; good until another station signed on at 0300 [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0156 - // 855, 1404 & 1530 [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 0200 - "Aici Bucuresti", then jazz-rock; not quite as
       loud as // 1179, but better audio; over Glasgow [MC].
1152  SCOTLAND   Clyde 2, Glasgow, 20 Oct, 2325 - Pop tunes, male DJ
       with strong Scottish accent; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 0202 - Glasgow mention, then "Through the night, the
       night shift's choice .." into Duran Duran "Hungry Like the Wolf;"
       mixed with Romania [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 2130 - Scottish-accented announcer, into ads and promo
       for soccer on Clyde 2; SIO 322 [JB].
1152  SPAIN   RNE R. 5 synchros, 29 Oct, 1823 - Strong echoes [JR].
1161  EGYPT   Mid-Delta R., Tanta, 26 Oct, 2018 - Tentative; strong with
       music, talker mentions Mubarak and Jerusalem [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 2142 - Arabic program over/under R. Tay and others [MC].
1161  SCOTLAND   Tay AM, Dundee, 21 Oct, 0100 - News and ID; fair to
       good [JF].
     + 26 Oct, 2305 - ID in mess [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 2140 - Ads for windows, "Tay AM" jingle; SIO 333 but lost
       to Egypt a bit later [JB].
     + 28 Oct, 2142 - "Radio Tay AM" jingle, then a Diana Ross song;
       mixed with Egypt and second UK station [MC].
1161  SPAIN   Euskadi Irratia, San Sebastián, 29 Oct, 1845 - Sports
       play-by-play, // 1197 [JR].
1170  ENGLAND   Magic 1170, Stockton, 23 Oct, 2251 - ID as "Hits on
       Magic," music "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell; poor [JF].
     + 28 Oct, 2137 - Ad for Tom Jones at the Newcastle Arena, for which
       "Magic 11-70" is a co-host; SIO 232 with QRM from Russia
       [JB/JR/MC].
1170  NIGERIA   Ogun State BC, Abeokuta, 22 Oct, 2025 - African language
       talk into tribal sounding-chanting; fair-good [NK].
1170  RUSSIA   Ibra R., Tbilisskaya, 28 Oct, 2129 - Religious program in
       Arabic; over/under UK station [JR/MC].
1170  SLOVENIA   R.Capodistria, Beli Kriz, 25 Oct, 1925 - Taking out
       Swansea Sound with Amercan music and Italian talk [NK].\
1179  ROMANIA   România Actualitata, Galbeni-Bacau, 21 Oct, 0240 - Local
       music, // 1152; SIO 343 [JB].
     + 26 Oct, 2353 - // 855 with choral vocal; dominant [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 0156 - // 855, 1404 & 1530 [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 0200 - // 1152 with ID "Aici Bucuresti", then jazz-rock;
       loud [MC].
1179  SWEDEN   R. Sweden, Sölvesbörg, 23 Oct, 0432 - Swedish ID and
       sports news; fair [JF].
1188  BELGIUM   R. Twee, Kuurne, 24 Oct, 0141 - Pop music [JR].
1188  HUNGARY   VOA/RFE Relay, Marcali, 21 Oct, 2142 - Slavic talk,
       seemed to be weather for Balkans; SIO 333 over Belgium [JB].
     + 22 Oct, 1958-2002 - Pop music and announcement that program has
       come from the VOA, Washington; ID for RFE at 2000 and into news
       in an unID language; good [JF].
     + 23 Oct, 2049 - "Radio Svoboda Europa" [JR].
     + 26 Oct, 2300 - Eastern European talk about Serbia, Vladimir
       Putin; excellent [MC].
1197  ENGLAND   Virgin R. synchros, 27 Oct, 0309 - // 1215 & 1242 with
       "Man on the Moon" by R.E.M.; very good [MC].
1197  GERMANY   RFE, Munich, 30 Oct, 0023 - "R. Swoboda" // 1188 & 1593
       at this time [JR].
1197  SPAIN   Euskadi Irratia, Vitoria, 29 Oct, 1845 - Sports play-by-
       play, // 1161 [JR].
1206  ISRAEL   Kol Israel, Haifa, 26 Oct, 0128 - // 11585 [JR].
1215  ENGLAND   Virgin R. synchros, 27 Oct, 0309 - // 1197 & 1242 with
       "Man on the Moon" by R.E.M.; huge [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 1813 - "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" by Wham!, then
       "Virgin Radio" ID; good [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 1926 - Local strength with the B52's "Rock Lobster;" I
       had to crank up the volume and party with that [MC]!
1215  KALININGRAD / RUSSIA   V. of Russia, Bolshakovo, 28 Oct, 1800 -
       Presumed; German program over/under Virgin R. [NK].
1224  NETHERLANDS   Q The Beat, Lopik, 24 Oct, 1840 - World music, few
       ID's [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 1925 - Backstreet Boys and other "kid" dance-rock; over
       Spain/Bulgaria [MC].
1224  SPAIN   COPE synchros, 29 Oct, 2045 - Sports, // 837 [JR].
1233  BELGIUM   RTBF R. Trafic Plus, Rocourt, 28 Oct, 0127 - Tentative;
       back-to-back pop music, but no announcements heard, // 1125; SIO
       232-1 [JB/JR/MC].
1233  CZECH REP.  Cesky Rozhlas synchros, 25 Oct, 0410 - Slavic talk;
       SIO 333 [JB].
     + 28 Oct, 2151 - // 1287, woman with Czech talk about Russia;
       excellent [MC].
1242  ENGLAND & SCOTLAND   Virgin R. synchros, 27 Oct, 0309 - // 1197 &
       1215 with "Man on the Moon" by R.E.M.; fair, dominant [MC].
1242  FRANCE   R. Bleu, Marseille, 28 Oct, 1923 - // 1206 with French
       male folk ballad; good [MC].
1251  ENGLAND   Classic Gold Amber, Gt. Barton, 22 Oct, 2001 - News,
       "Classic Gold Amber weather," "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies; SIO
       232 [JB/JF].
     + 26 Oct, 0356 - Bond theme, ID, news [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 0157 - Tentative; probably this with British announcer,
       "Classic Gold" ID [MC].
1251  LIBYA   Libyan Jamahiriya Broadcasting, Tripoli, 28 Oct, 1922 -
       Group vocal, strings; compressed "telco" type audio [MC].
1251  PORTUGAL   R. Renascença synchros, 29 Oct, 2039 - Football play-
       by-play, // 891 [JR].
1260  ENGLAND   Classic Gold 12-60, Mangotsfield, 24 Oct, 1949 - Music
       program [JR].
1260  ENGLAND   Virgin R., Guildford, 24 Oct, 2023 - Music by REM, //
       1197 & 1215; poor [JF/JR].
1260  SPAIN   SER synchros, 27 Oct, 2259 - // 1044 with Spanish public
       speech; over CKHJ [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 1921 - Sports-related shouting // 1044; good [MC].
1269  GERMANY   DeutschlandRadio, Neumünster, 27 Oct, 1812 - Man in
       German; fair, getting past CJCB [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 1856 - // 1422 with woman with German political speech in
       echoey room [MC].
1278  IRELAND   RTE R. 2 FM, Cork and Dublin, 23 Oct, 0119 - Ad
       mentioning Bank Holiday weekend, ID; SIO 232 [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 0310 - // 612 with "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson;
       excellent [MC].
1287  CZECH REP.   Cesky Rozhlas synchros, 23 Oct, 2155 - Talk in Czech,
       new program of either RFE, BBC or VOA (couldn't tell which) at
       2200, // 1233; good [JF].
     + 28 Oct, 2151 - // 1233, woman with Czech talk about Russia; huge
       [MC].
1287  ISRAEL   Galei Zahal, Tel Aviv, 21 Oct, 2329 - Hebrew talk, other
       Galei Zahal frequencies inaudible, SIO 333 [JB].
1287  SPAIN   SER synchros, 27 Oct, 1900 - // 1584 [JR].
1296  ENGLAND   BBC European Service, Orfordness, 24 Oct, 2002 - "News
       Hour" [JR].
1296  ENGLAND   R. XL, Langley Mill, 27 Oct, 0312 - Jingle "Your
       Favourite Asian Music and More, 1296 AM," then Indian music [MC].
1296  SPAIN   COPE Valencia, Valencia, 27 Oct, 2256 - Spanish phone-in
       contest; good, over R. XL [MC].
1305  ENGLAND   Premier R., Enfield & Ewell, 24 Oct, 1848 - Presumed;
       English religious talk; poor [JF].
     + 24 Oct, 1912 - Tentative; US preacher [JR].
1305  SÉNÉGAL   RT Sénégal, Rufisque, 21 Oct, 2018-2107, 2115, 2151,
       2158-2202 - Tentative-probable; African station in native
       language, but lots of French words were used...the similarity of
       this language to what used to be heard on 765 kHz makes Senegal
       very likely...African drums, newsmagazine from about 2020 with
       lots of coverage of the "election" in the Ivory Coast, possible
       ID's as "Rurale" at 2052 and 2055, pretty definite "Radio Rurale"
       at 2201 (but my tape had stopped working for the last one!),
       commercial African music noted at 2158 recheck and through the
       top of the hour; mostly SIO 333 with Spanish QRM but peaking at
       SIO 444 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 2107-2102 - Presumed; African drum music, announcements
       which seemed to vary between French and Arabic, news (?) at 2035
       with many mentions of Abidjan (where an uprising was occurring),
       local stringed music; no clear ID heard even though signal was
       quite strong [JF].
     + 25 Oct, 2028 - African music [JR].
1305  SPAIN   RNE R. 5 synchros, 23 Oct, 2003 - distinct echo from three
       stations! [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 0313 - // 855 with male Spanish vocal; almost a one-
       second delay noted between "earliest" and "latest" synchro [MC].
1314  NORWAY   NRK, Kvitsøy, 27 Oct, 0314 - Norwegian talk about stocks,
       then a synthesizer-heavy re-mix of the '80s hit "Take on Me" by
       A-Ha; local-like [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 1710 - Norwegian talk, US pops; early fade-in [MC].
1314  SPAIN   RNE R. 5 synchros, 29 Oct, 2035 - Echoey [JR].
1314  UNITED ARAB EMIRATES   UAE R., Dabiya, 20 Oct, 2002-2008 - Arabic
       news gradually fading under co-channel Norway; poor [JF].
     + 22 Oct, 1859 - Arabic talk, bit of pop music and sound effects
       before pips at 1900, then an ID and news; SIO 333 with Spanish
       QRM since Norway was not a threat this early [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 1908 - Pop style Arabic music; killing Norway [JR/MC].
1323  ENGLAND   BBC Somerset Sound, Taunton, 25 Oct, 0320 - Sports talk
       // Five Live on 909; SIO 322 [JB/JF].
1323  ENGLAND   Capital Gold 1323, Southwick, 25 Oct, 0325 - Pop music
       under BBC and an Eastern European, but peaked through with an ID
       at 0325; SIO 222 [JB].
1323  GERMANY   V. of Russia Relay, Wachenbrunn, 23 Oct, 1910 -
       Instrumental music, French ID; fair [JF].
     + 23 Oct, 2140 - Unidentified language, Balkan music, two definite
       ID's; SIO 443 [JB].
     + 28 Oct, 1916 - Woman in French; fair [MC].
1323  ROMANIA   R. Tîrgu Mures, Tîrgu Mures, 25 Oct, 0320 - Tentative;
       Eastern European music, woman speaking Romanian atop Capital Gold
       and another Brit [NK].
1332  ENGLAND   Classic Gold 1332, Gunthorpe, 21 Oct, 0011 - John Denver
       tune, ID, then other oldies; SIO 333-2 [JB].
     + 24 Oct, 0141 - "Classic Gold" ID's, oldies music; poor [JF].
     + 25 Oct, 0058 - Music program [JR].
1332  ENGLAND   Premier R., Battersea, 23 Oct, 0041 - Chat about pets,
       religious talk; SIO 222 [JB].
1332  ITALY   RAI R. Uno, Roma, 27 Oct, 1911 - Italian talk about
       petroleum, political issues; over UK local [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 1914 - Italian talk mentioning Calabria and other cities
       [MC].
1332  NETHERLANDS   R. Nationaal, Lopikerkapel, 23 Oct, 0025 -
       Tentative; Dutch folk tunes, but no ID; SIO 332 [JB].
1341  CANARY IS. & SPAIN   SER synchros, 28 Oct, 1901 - Spanish
       shouting; over/under N. Ireland [MC].
1341  NORTHERN IRELAND   BBC R. Ulster, Lisnagarvey, 21 Oct, 0017 -
       Literary Book Reviews; good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0316 - // BBC-5975 with Afro-pop music [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 1811 - Woman with Gaelic teletalk show [MC].
1341  SPAIN   Onda Cero, Almería & Ciudad Real, 29 Oct, 2328 - Interview
       // 540 & 1080 [JR].
1341  SPAIN   SER R. León, León, 28 Oct, 1902 - // 1584 sports [JR].
1350  LATVIA   Latvijas R., Kuldiga & Cesvaine, 26 Oct, 2120-2159 - ID,
       news by woman, VOA Special English program from 2135; SIO 433
       [JB].
     + 26 Oct, 2153 - VOA program "Visions of a Nation" (Special
       English), // 945 & 1422 [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 1859 - // 1422 with female Latvian vocal; over unID and
       growl [MC].
1359  ENGLAND   The Breeze, Baker's Wood, 24 Oct, 1850 - Slogan heard in
       mess [JR].
1368  ISLE OF MAN   Manx R., Douglas, 24 Oct, 2224 - Music-of-Your-Life
       oldies format with music like Vera Lynn, male English announcer;
       fair [JF].
     + 25 Oct, 2001 - "Manx weather" then jingle ID; SIO 242 [JB].
1385.92  GUINEA   R. Rurale, Labé, 21 Oct, 2042-2047 - West African
       stringed music; good with het [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 2127 - African language talk by man; loud [MC].
1386  KALININGRAD / RUSSIA   LBH Radio, Bolshakovo, 20 Oct, 2210-2222 -
       British dance music, British DJs with ID at 2211 and politically
       incorrect ad for Red Devil (beer?); SIO 555 [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 2213-2225 - European dance music with ID's as "The Scene"
       and "The Scene is LBH Radio," phone number for dedications 087-
       00-77-1386; very good [JF].
     + 26 Oct, 0021 - English pop program [JR].
1386  KALININGRAD / RUSSIA   V. of Russia, Bolshakovo, 27 Oct, 1755 -
       Dance club hits, German talk; loud [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 1713 - Woman in German, then classical orchestra playing
       in a Spanish flamenco style [MC].
1386  KENYA   V. of Kenya, Maralal, 21 Oct, 0314 - Talk by a man in an
       unID language and crowd noises // 4935; poor [JF].
1394.8  ALBANIA   TWR, Fllake, 22 Oct, 1938-1947 - Religious music and
       programming in unID language, interval signal and fanfare at
       1944, ID and into Hungarian program; good [JF].
     + 25 Oct, 1840 - TWR interval signal, sign-on [JR].
1395  NETHERLANDS   Business News 1395, Ijsselstein,  24 Oct, 1759 -
       Talk, sudden sign-off 1800 [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 1752-1800* - Business news, many ID's, ad for "All
       Office" ended at 1800 then abruptly off; SIO 243 [JB/MC].
1404  ROMANIA   România Actualitata, Sighet, 27 Oct, 0156 - // 855 &
       1530 [JR].
1413  ENGLAND   BBC R. Gloucestershire, 2 sites, 22 Oct, 2139 - "Slow
       Boat To China" by Bing Crosby and other oldies, // 1548 BBC5
       Overnight relay; fair to good [JF].
     + 26 Oct, 0527 - Local info and ads [JR].
1413  OMAN   BBC Relay, Masirah Is., 22 Oct, 1936 - English program
       talking about the situation in Yugoslavia, but fading down
       quickly; poor [JF].
     + 26 Oct, 1856 - Persian program, English ID [JR].
1422  GERMANY   DeutschlandRadio, Heusweiler, 21 Oct, 2204 - German ID
       and Edith Piaf singing Jacques Brel; good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 1800 - German news [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 1843 - Talk, then German speech in echoey hall; over
       Latvia [MC].
1422  LATVIA   Latvijas R., Rezekne & Valmiera, 26 Oct, 2135 - VOA
       Special English announcement, // 1350; SIO 322 under Germany
       [JB].
     + 26 Oct, 2153 - "Visions of a Nation" (Special English), under
       Germany, // 945 & 1350 [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 1859 - // 1350 with female Latvian vocal; under Germany
       [MC].
1422  ROMANIA   România Actualitata, Olanesti, 21 Oct, 0243 - Just
       fragments of music, but definitely // 1152, however would have
       been unidentifiable without the parallel; SIO 221 [JB].
1430  IRAN   IRIB, Esfahan, 28 Oct, 1831 - Dead-on this odd channel, //
       15084 with news by woman; 1-kHz het against 1431 Euro's; WXKS
       blended in a bit later [JR/MC].
     + 28 Oct, 2024 - Middle Eastern music, at 2027 anthem then ID, some
       talk, nationalistic music, // 15084.18; SIO 343 [JB].
1431  ENGLAND   Breeze AM, Rayleigh, 24 Oct, 1855 - Slogan noted [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 1825 - "Breeze AM" ID; over Italy and Arabic station
       [MC].
1431  ENGLAND   Classic Gold, Manor Farm, 24 Oct, 1952 - Music program
       [JR].
1431  ITALY   RAI R. Due synchros, 28 Oct, 1835 - // 846, echoey [JR].
1440  LUXEMBOURG   R. Luxembourg, Marnach, 27 Oct, 0321 - Woman in
       German with religious talk mentioning Heilige Geist (Holy Ghost);
       over Saudi Arabia [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 1801 - German talk mentioning Arabs [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 1822 - "You Are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker; local-like
       [MC].
1440  LUXEMBOURG   R. Nederland, Marnach, 24 Oct, 1801 - Super Oldies
       Show [JR].
1440  SAUDI ARABIA   BSKSA, Damman, 21 Oct, 2149 - Arabic talk over co-
       channel Luxembourg // 1521; fair [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0321 - // 1521 with Koran; under Luxembourg [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 2221 - // 9870 with pop Arabic music; over WJAE [MC].
1448.13  UNID   25 Oct, 1833 - Possibly very weak audio; not Libya they
       wereheard // 972 and right on 1449 kHz [NK].
1449  IRAN   IRIB, Bandar-e-Torkaman, 25 Oct, 1830 - Good with Koran,
       then sign-off with anthem; this was not // anything else we can
       hear from Iran, and is almost always heard in decent TA
       conditions [NK].
     + 28 Oct, 1755 - Talks across the top of the hour, mentions
       "Palestiniya" and "Jerushalem;" not // 15084 [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 1821 - Koranic male vocal; huge [MC].
1449  LIBYA   VO Greater Arab Homeland, Misurata, 25 Oct, 1910 - // 972
       [JR].
1458  ALBANIA   VOA Relay, Fllake, 25 Oct, 1840 - VOA program [JR].
1458  ENGLAND   BBC Asian Network, Langley Mill, 27 Oct, 1902 -
       Presumed; Hindi news heard under Sunrise R. then faded up to
       dominate until 1905; SIO 222 [JB].
1458  ENGLAND   Big 14-58 AM, Ashton Moss, 20 Oct, 2300 - On top of a
       pile of signals with ID before Independent Radio News; SIO 322
       [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 1926 - "Big" slogan, local ads [JR].
     + 23 Oct, 1939 - Ad for Malvern Windows, Learn Direct, ID as "The
       Big," announcer gave soccer update saying that there was a goal
       in the Southampton vs Manchester match, music by the Knack; fair
       with QRM from Sunrise R. [JF].
1458  ENGLAND   Sunrise R., Brookmans Park, 24 Oct, 1910 - Indian talk
       and music [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 1902 - Independent Radio News ended then ID before it
       faded below Big 14-58 and BBC Asian Net; SIO 222 [JB].
1467  FRANCE / MONACO   RMC, Roumoules, 25 Oct, 1857 - Sign-on [JR].
1467  FRANCE / MONACO   TWR, Roumoules, 21 Oct, 2134 - Program in Arabic
       translated into English (or vice-versa) describing people who
       deceive and destroy; good [JF].
1467  IRAN   IRIB, unknown site, 25 Oct, 2358 - Weak but basically alone
       with Call to Prayer, // 15084, bad modulation [JR/NK].
1476  AUSTRIA   Österreichischer Rundfunk, Bisamberg, 21 Oct, 2134 -
       Easy listening music with a very laid-back English announcer,
       German and English ID's at 2143 and into German program; good
       [JF].
     + 25 Oct, 2002 - English announcer under UAE [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 2144 - Woman in English mentioned Austria, finance
       ministers' meeting; dominant on Euro-Bev [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 1815 - Woman in German, "Wien" mentions [MC].
1476  AZERBAIJAN   Azerbaijani R., 2 sites, 27 Oct, 0100 - Woman
       mentions "Azerbaijan" during news, strong signal [JR].
1476  BENIN   ORT du Benin, Cotonou, 27 Oct, 2141- Tentative-probable
       (no sign of any signal whatsoever on 1475 even though this used
       to be a fairly routine catch); highlife music and French pop
       songs, rap; no ID as Austria became too powerful around 2200;
       best on Brazil-Bev, SIO 322 [JB/MC].
1476  UNITED ARAB EMIRATES   U.A.E. R., Dubai, 21 Oct, 0224-0250 -
       Stringed instrumental music, ID at 0226 ad into anthem, sign-on
       announcement with frequencies; covered by another station
       (Azerbaijan?) at 0228, Call to Prayer at 0230; // 13675; fair
       [JF].
     + 21 Oct, 0227 - Anthem, announcements in Arabic; SIO 343 [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 0246 - // 13675 with a cappella Arabic vocal; very good
       [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 1805 - Man in Arabic // 13675 [MC].
1484.55  ANGOLA   EP do Kuanza-Sul, Sumbe, 22 Oct, 2310-2312* - Angolan
       anthem and off; SIO 332 [JB/JF].
     + 27 Oct, 2103 - Clear Portuguese speaker, words heard include
       "pais", "todo", "musica"; high life music begins at 2113, five
       short and one long pips heard at 2130, then more music; tough
       Spain-1485.0 QRM [JR/MC].
1485  ASCENSION IS.   BBC Relay, English Bay, 22 Oct, 0133-0209 - BBC
       World Service program // 5975, "Reporting Religion," news
       headlines, "Letter From America," time pips and "The World Today"
       at 0200; tended to fade up briefly for a few minutes at a time
       then drop down; great signal considering listed at 500 watts;
       poor [JF].
1485  ENGLAND   BBC unID station, 28 Oct, 1804 - BBC news; over Spain
       [MC].
1485  ENGLAND   Classic Gold, Newbury, 24 Oct, 1952 - Oldies program
       [JR].
1494  FRANCE   R. Bleu synchros, 28 Oct, 1800 - French talk over/under
       Moldova [MC].
1494  JORDAN   R. Jordan, Al Karanah, 24 Oct, 1910 - Good peaks above
       France with Arabic news, // 9830 [NK].
1494  MOLDOVA   R. Moldova, Cahul & Edinet, 26 Oct, 0258 - // 873 [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 1800 - Chimes, then talk in Romanian or Moldovan; mixed
       with France [MC].
1502.77  UNID   27 Oct, 2150 - Het against Azores; probably of African
       origin [MC].
1503  AZORES   AFN, Lajes, 23 Oct, 2013 - C&W music program, USA Radio
       Network Sports News, PSA's; fair [JF].  27 Oct, 2150 - American-
       accented news about the attack on the USS Cole; loud [MC].
1503  EGYPT   North Sinai R., El Arish, 29 Oct, 2005 - News items with
       the short intro to "Charge!" (used at American sports events)
       between items, "El Arish" said clearly at end of news, then music
       [JR].
1503  IRAN   IRIB, Bushehr, 26 Oct, 0221 - // 1026 [JR].
     + 26 Oct, 1958 - Western orchestral music, // 15084.45; SIO 343
       [JB].
     + 28 Oct, 1808 - Middle East female vocal // 15084 [MC].
1503.68  UNID   28 Oct, 2316 - Het, maybe African [MC].
1512  BELGIUM   R. Netherlands, Wolvertem, 20 Oct, 2111 - ID and
       eclectic program of music; good [JF].
1512  BELGIUM   R. Vlaanderen International, Wolvertem, 27 Oct, 1802 -
       Flemish news-talk; good [MC].
     + 27 Oct, 1858 - Interval signal, "Radio Vlaanderen International"
       ID by woman [MC].
1512  CRETE / GREECE   ERA, Chania, 24 Oct, 0100 - Greek interval signal
       over Koran (presumably Saudi Arabia); SIO 232 [JB].
1512  SAUDI ARABIA   BSKSA, Jeddah, 28 Oct, 0112 - Koran; over others
       [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 2212 - Koranic vocal; under Belgium [MC].
1521  IRAN   IRIB, Kiashahr, 26 Oct, 0221 - // 1026 [JR].
1521  SAUDI ARABIA   BSKSA, Duba, 27 Oct, 1803 - Arabic talk about Saudi
       Arabian government; loud [MC].
1521  SPAIN   SER R. Castellón, Castellón, 24 Oct, 0222 - // 990 with
       talk [JR].
1530  ENGLAND   unID station, 27 Oct, 1852 - "Don't Dream It's Over" by
       Crowded House; briefly over Vatican [MC].
1530  ROMANIA   România Actualitata, Mhaileni, 21 Oct, 0246 - Violin
       folk music, man and woman in Romanian, // 1152; SIO 333 with
       Vatican QRM [JB/JF].
1530  SÃO TOMÉ E PRINCÍPE   VOA Relay, Pinheira, 21 Oct, 0300 - Yankee
       Doodle, VOA News with African emphasis; SIO 343 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 2107 - "VOA News Now" with report on Mid-East situation;
       good with Vatican QRM [JF].
     + 24 Oct, 2042 - VOA program // 909 [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 2058 - // Botswana-909 with US dance-rock music; loud on
       Afro-Bev [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 1757 - Female pop dance vocal; over Vatican [MC].
1530  VATICAN CITY   R. Vaticana, Vatican, 27 Oct, 1850 - Holy Rosary in
       Latin "Ave Maria, gratia plena..." with woman and children;
       local-like [MC].
1539  GERMANY   Evangeliums Rundfunk, Mainflingen, 23 Oct, 2026 - German
       religious talk by woman and man, up-tempo religious music until
       2039 fade out; good [JF].
     + 25 Oct, 1959 - "ERF" ID's, religious music [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 1906 - German religious talk by woman [MC].
1539  SPAIN   SER synchros, 29 Oct, 1829 - // 1584 sports [JR].
1539.07  IRAN / CLANDESTINE?...R. Jihad, 27 Oct, 1830 - Male vocal, no
       ID heard, but in almost every day as a "big blob" on this
       frequency; Medium Wave News (UK) says this is the "Voice of the
       Iraqi Islamic Movement" with the transmitter believed to be in
       Iran (MWN, July 2000) [JR/MC].
     + 28 Oct, 2021 - Koran faded up; SIO 222 [JB].
     + 28 Oct, 2206 - Arabic talk, mentioned Iraq twice, but soon lost
       to Spain; SIO 222 [JB].  28 Oct, 2209 - Good with Koran [MC].
     + 28 Oct, 2258 - Nice peak with religious talk, then Koran but no
       ID before it submerged below Spain; SIO 333 [JB].
1548  ENGLAND   BBC R. Bristol, Mangotsfield, 22 Oct, 2026-2042 - Older
       rock music such as Bob Dylan, Boz Scaggs and Rita Coolidge,
       interview with a woman from the Bristol area; poor to fair with
       fades [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 1904 - Presumed; traffic report mentioning Weston Super
       Mare and Tiverton [MC].
1548  KUWAIT   VOA Relay, Kabt,  20 Oct, 2106 - English news as part of
       "VOA News Now;" good [JF].
     + 23 Oct, 2200 - ID, well over all the British stations; SIO 433
       [JB].
     + 24 Oct, 2222 - VOA sports [JR].
1550  ALGERIA / CLANDESTINE   R Nacional Rep. Arabe Saharaui Democr.,
       Tindouf, 26 Oct, 2028 - Under strong bubble jammer [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 1756 - Man in Arabic; poor [MC].
1557  CROATIA   Hvratski R., Osijek, 30 Oct, 0023 - // 1134 [JR].
1557  FRANCE   R. Bleu, Nice, 27 Oct, 1902 - French news mentioning
       lecture in Provence about 'sida' (AIDS) [MC].
1566  ENGLAND   County Sound R., Peasmarsh, 21 Oct, 0000-0005 -
       Independent Radio News // 1458, jingle ID at 0002 "County Sound
       Radio," music until fade out; fair [JF].
     + 28 Oct, 1943 - ID "County Sound Radio, 1566 Medium Wave" [MC].
     + 29 Oct, 1827 - Frequently heard all week [JR].
1566  INDIA   All India R., Nagpur, 26 Oct, 0037 - English news // 5010
       [JR].
1566  IRAN   IRIB, Bandar Abbas, 26 Oct, 0210 - // 1026 [JR].
1575  GERMANY   Mega R., Burg, 26 Oct, 2325 - "Mega" ID, // 576 [JR].
     + 26 Oct, 2327 - Presumed; non-stop dance music briefly noted
       beneath Spain, // 576; SIO 322 [JB/MC].
1575  ITALY   RAI R. Uno synchros, 20 Oct, 2030 - Italian ads and news
       items faded up over the SER stations; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 1847 - Italian political talk; atop Spain [MC].
1575  KUWAIT / CLANDESTINE   Al Mustaqbal, 28 Oct, 2302 - Tentative;
       Arabic; no ID heard, but Mark says this is them! Kuwait has been
       reported here [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 2303 - Shrill Arabic vocal; well over Spain/Italy/Germany
       [MC].
1583.65  SPANISH MOROCCO / CEUTA   RadiOlé, Costa del Estrecho, 24 Oct,
       2206-2217 - Spanish talk by laid-back man over soft flamenco
       music, no ID, but their usual slightly off-channel frequency
       indicates that it was them; fair with het [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 2108 - Excited Spanish shouting; good [MC].
1584  SPAIN   SER R. Zamora, Zamora, 22 Oct, 2127 - SER sports split to
       local, ad for "Super Nova en el centro de Zamora," back to
       network at 2130; SIO 433 [JB/JF].
     + 28 Oct, 2159 - Local ads, "Radio Zamora, Cadena SER;" SIO 444
       [JB].
1593  GERMANY   R. Free Europe, Holzkirchen,  20 Oct, 2353 - Presumed;
       Serbo-Croatian talk by male; good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 1901 - Slavic talk mentioning Bosnia-Hercegovina; good
       [MC].
     + 29 Oct, 1900 - "Radio Swoboda" ID [JR].
1593  IRELAND   Cross Rhythms, Monaghan, 20 Oct, 2023 - Brit-accented DJ
       playing Christian pop music; SIO 222 under R. Free Europe [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 0019-0100 - Rap and pop music, PSA mentioning the meaning
       of life and quoting the scriptures at 0042, ID at 0056; faded by
       0100, good [JF].
     + 21 Oct, 0056 - ID and program hype; SIO 343 [JB].
     + 29 Oct, 1859 - Tentative; Hindi music, English talk, no ID heard
       [JR].
1593  ROMANIA   R. Cluj, Cluj, 30 Oct, 0012 - "Radio Cluj" slogan heard
       [JR].
1602  SPAIN   Euskadi Irratia, Vitória, 27 Oct, 1859 - ID, four short,
       one long pips [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 2257 - Romantic piano music, then man in Spanish; over
       SER synchros [MC].
1602  SPAIN   SER synchros, 27 Oct, 1846 - Spanish talk // other SER's;
       over/under Vitória [MC].
1602.8  UNID   28 Oct, 0150 - Het [MC].
1611  VATICAN CITY   R. Vaticana, Vatican, 28 Oct, 1749 - Slavic talk by
       woman; fair [MC].
1634.90  GREECE / PIRATE   unID station, 25 Oct, 0128 - Greek music; but
       faded out without ID; SIO 241 [JB/JR].
1635.54  NETHERLANDS / PIRATE   R. Nordzee, 20 Oct, 2226-2301 - Easy-
       listening Dutch pop music with few announcements, ID at 2238,
       music "Hello Mary Lou" (not the Rick Nelson version); numerous
       other Dutch pirates were also heard in this frequency area;
       usually they were only heard for a few minutes before they went
       off or changed frequency; good [JF].
     + 20 Oct, 2227-2240 - Dutch folk tunes, ID and a few words in Dutch
       at 2240; SIO 353-1 with deep fades [JB].
1635.89  NETHERLANDS / PIRATE   Rona Leiza, 28 Oct, 2244-2358 - Dutch
       polkas, all Dutch talk with regards to many dozens of Dutch
       "amateurs" and a number of ID's with the cell phone number; SIO
       333 [JB/JR].
1636.00  NETHERLANDS / PIRATE   unID station, 21 Oct, 2207 - Probably a
       QSO, lots of stations mentioned (Toulouse, Nordzee, Electron...)
       but not sure which one this was! Dutch polka; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 2234 - Same polka as before, more Dutch talk mentioning
       same stations; SIO 433 [JB].
1639.48  GREECE/PIRATE   unID station, 20 Oct, 2328-2351 - Unstable
       carrier, drifting up to 1639.60 kHz by 2343; Greek music, no
       announcements between tunes, just long pauses; SIO 353 at peak
       [JB/JF].
1645.00  NETHERLANDS / PIRATE   unID station, 22 Oct, 2238 - Just caught
       bits of the mail-drop address in Preston, then went off; SIO 252
       [JB].
1646.05  NETHERLANDS / PIRATE   R. Santa Fe, 21 Oct, 2206 - Quick ID
       then lively Dutch music; SIO 322 with het [JB/JF].

Pan-American  DX

 530  TURKS & CAICOS IS.   R. Visión Cristiana Internacional, South
       Caicos, 21 Oct, 0954 - Spanish ID giving program address in
       Dominican Republic; fair to good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0326 - Spanish religion; good on southern Beverage [MC].
 555  ST. KITTS & NEVIS   R. ZIZ, Basseterre, St. Kitts, 29 Oct, 0113 -
       Upbeat soca-reggae vocal; fair with CHVO-560 phased [MC].
 610  BRAZIL   R. Itatiaia (ZYL268), Belo Horizonte, 29 Oct, 2345 - Auto
       ad, ID [JR].
 610  TRINIDAD   NBS, Port of Spain, 24 Oct, 0750-0802 - Tentative; a
       BBC newsmagzine program. BBC World Service ID and time pips at
       0800, BBC news; best on Brazilian wire; fair [JF].
 630  ARGENTINA   R. Difusora Patagonia (LU4), Comodoro Rivadavia, 29
       Oct, 0149 - Heard with ID under strong domestic [JR].
 630  ARGENTINA   R. Rivadavia (LS5), Buenos Aires, 29 Oct, 0300 -
       Dominant with "Radio Rivadavia" ID [NK].
 650  BRAZIL   R. Clube (ZYH462), Valença, 25 Oct, 2132-2200 - Mainly
       talk, mentioned "Bahia" a number of times, ID at 2136; SIO 322
       under CKGA [JB].
 650  PARAGUAY   R. Uno, Asunción, 26 Oct, 0701 - Slogan and "Asunción"
       [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 0802, 0847 - Emerging slightly from a tangle of signals,
       ID, apparent news; ID noted again at 0847; SIO 232 [JB].
 650  URUGUAY   S.O.D.R.E. (CX6), Montevideo, 22 Oct, 0230-0240 -
       Tentative; likely the classical music station here with CKGA
       phased, male announcer said, "Una produción Culgas...MonteFilme"
       likely a play on words for Montevideo; station soon lost to the
       Colombian pest [NK].
 660  ST. LUCIA   St. Lucia BC, Babonneau, 21 Oct, 0140 - Caribbean
       reggae music, male announcer in English mentioning Castries; fair
       [JF].
 660  VENEZUELA   Ondas de Los Médanos (YVNA), Coro, 27 Oct, 0935 - Weak
       under WFAN [JR].
 680  PUERTO RICO   R. Guapa (WAPA), San Juan, 23 Oct, 0905 - Ads,
       Spanish news talking about a governor, ID "Cadena Guapa Radio" at
       0908; good [JF].
     + 24 Oct, 2330 - Very strong [JR].
 680  VENEZUELA   R. Cumaná (YVQR), Cumaná, 29 Oct, 0100 - "La Voz de
       Dios" religious program, mentions of Cumaná, Venezuela; briefly
       over WRKO/CKXG/other LA's [JR/MC].
 690  ANGUILLA   Caribbean Beacon, The Valley, 27 Oct, 0342 - // 6090
       with gospel song "He's Got the Power" [MC].
 690  BRAZIL   R. Dragão do Mar (ZYH587), Fortaleza,
     + 23 Oct, 0302 - Full Portuguese ID then off; fair [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0811 - Crowing fowl, PSA item about police in Fortaleza;
       SIO 444 [JB].
     + 29 Oct, 0133 - Portuguese preaching; good [MC].
 700  ARGENTINA   R. Córdoba (LV3), Córdoba, 28 Oct, 0632 - Battling R.
       Sur, but jingle ID and "Córdoba para todo el paìs" slogan emerged
       at critical times, seemed to be the 50th anniversary of the
       station; SIO 333 at peak [JB].
     + 29 Oct, 0356 - ID heard, and "La Radio de Argentina" [JR].
 700  BRAZIL   R. Nova Eldorado AM (ZYK686), São Paulo, 29 Oct, 0140 -
       ID "Eldorado AM, São Paulo;" good [MC].
 700  UNID   "R. Cinco Seis Cientos," 26 Oct, 0638 - Heard this odd ID,
       then a few minutes later something like "Maracay 27, Radio Nueve
       Cinco, hoy 229968 ...". at 0829 I also heard the same or another
       station in Spanish with an ID announcement that sounded like
       this: "Radio Punte de Pinto, Señal gigante en Calí" [JR].
 700  VENEZUELA   R. Sur (YVPQ), Puerto Ordaz, 26 Oct, 0840-0900 -
       Initially poor, but faded up with Venez. dance music, ID at 0858,
       promo for "Venezuelanidad" program, then slogan "La señal gigante
       de Guyana;" SIO 433 at 0858 [JB].
     + 29 Oct, 0358 - Venezuelan anthem [JR].
 705  ST. VINCENT   NBC 705 Radio, Kingstown, 27 Oct, 2314 - Noted weak
       in passing with mellow pop music; this one seems to be nowhere
       near as strong as a few years ago [NK].
 720  BRAZIL   R. Clube de Pernambuco (ZYI770), Recife, 27 Oct, 0506 -
       Very strong with slogan [JR].
 720  BRAZIL   R. Guaiba (ZYK276), Porto Alegre, 22 Oct, 0317 - Ads, ID
       and "Música da Guaiba"; poor [JF].
 720  GREENLAND   Kalallit Nunaata Radioa, Simiutaq, 22 Oct, 0035 -
       Slow-talking man in Greenland dialect; SIO 433 [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 1843-1902 - Surprisingly early signal with man and woman
       in Greenlandic, pop music tune, chimes interval signal at 1859,
       news at 1900; fair [JF].
     + 28 Oct, 1955 - Greenlandic talk by woman, then speech by man:
       probably a city council or town meeting: basement acoustics,
       paper shuffling and folding-chair noises evident [MC].
     + Faded in around 1720 every day that I checked [NK].
 720  VENEZUELA   R. Oriente (YVQE), Porlamar, 27 Oct, 2314 - Venezuelan
       political speech // 910 & 1020 [MC].
 730  BRAZIL   Emissora Rural (ZYI780), Petrolina, 27 Oct, 2359 - Nice
       ID over CKAC [JR].
 730  COLOMBIA   Cadena Melodía (HJCU), SF de Bogotá, 25 Oct, 0459 - Not
       sure if this was a sign-on, ascending bells sound-effect, long
       ID; SIO 322 [JB].
 730  PARAGUAY   R. Cardinal AM (ZP7), Asunción, 25 Oct, 0430-0501 -
       Talk about Spanish history, sounded like Cuban programming, until
       Supermercado Guaraní and beer ads then ID at 0500; SIO 322 [JB].
     + 26 Oct, 0643 - "Cardinal" ID [JR].
     + 29 Oct, 0849 - Presumed; nice harp music, male in Spanish and a
       local language, mentioned "Guaraní" a couple of times; SIO 333
       [JB].
     + 30 Oct, 0830 - Suspect this one with a promo for "Canal 13" event
       in November; my last logging of the DXpedition ... zzzz [JR].
 730  TRINIDAD   R. Trinidad, Port of Spain, 23 Oct, 0916 - Call-in show
       with listeners complaining of their ailments and male preacher
       with Caribbean accent giving religious accounts; fair [JF].
     + 25 Oct, 0448-0502 - Tentative; only short fade-ups of British-
       accented (not Caribbean) announcer, mainly sports talk, not //
       BBC on 6175 [JB].
     + 29 Oct, 0843 - Tentative; British-accented talk; SIO 222 [JB].
 740  BRAZIL   R. Sociedad de Bahia (ZYH446), Salvador, 27 Oct, 0632 -
       "Bahia" shouted, cows moo [JR].
 760  BRAZIL   R. Record (ZYH588), Fortaleza, 24 Oct, 2150 - ID, all
       alone [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 0343 - Portuguese preacher; loud [MC].
 760  GUYANA   Guyana BC, Georgetown, 26 Oct, 0915 - "GBC" ID then
       country and western music; SIO 333 [JB/JF].
     + 29 Oct, 0855 - Interval signal, Hindi music at 0909 recheck; SIO
       444 [JB].
 770  UNID   30 Oct, 0724 - Seagulls/bird sounds, as on 890, also
       briefly noted on 1410 [JR].
 770  URUGUAY   R. Oriental (CX12), Montevideo, 29 Oct, 0142 - Strong,
       with slogan [JR].
 780  BRAZIL   R. Jornal do Comércio (ZYI771), Recife, 28 Oct, 2321 -
       Over CFDR with ads and ID; SIO 332 [JB].
 780  PARAGUAY   R. Primero de Marzo (ZP70), Asunción, 25 Oct, 0250-0302
       - Pretty good with CFDR phased; calendar of events and clear ID
       at 0300 [NK].
     + 25 Oct, 0253 - Spanish talks, ID'ed by Neil; poor [JF].
     + 25 Oct, 0300 - ID heard on tape replay [JR].
     + 29 Oct, 0802 - Long ID that sounded like the sign-on; SIO 332,
       over a music station [JB].
 790  ARGENTINA   R. Mitre (LR6), Buenos Aires, 22 Oct, 0127 - ID in
       passing before EZL music under Barbados; poor [JF].
 790  BARBADOS   V. of Barbados, Bridgetown, 22 Oct, 0130 - Tentative;
       old soul music from the 60's, ads; fair [JF].
 809.24  UNID   27 Oct, 0410 - Het [MC].
 810  BRAZIL   R. Verdes Mares (ZYH589), Fortaleza, 22 Oct, 2231 - Male
       talking with lots of mentions of Fortaleza; poor [JF].
 820  BRAZIL   R. Gazeta (ZYI212), Vitória, 29 Oct, 0140 - ID after
       music [JR].
 820  VENEZUELA   R. Guadalupana (YVXG), Coro, 26 Oct, 0940 - ID, last
       one standing from a mix of Latin stations, SIO 242 [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 0903 - Children reciting Rosary [JR].
 830  BRAZIL   unID station, 24 Oct, 2135-2137 - Well atop two other
       Brazilians with lots of Maranhão mentions and seemingly talking
       about coming events; perhaps a native speaker might have
       deciphered the tape but I couldn't pinpoint anything [NK].
 830  CANADA   CFJR, Brockville ON, 27 Oct, 1013 - Token Canadian log,
       but also first time heard...ad saying "no GST or PST in
       Brockville," but faded quickly leaving just WCCO; SIO 232 [JB].
 830  CUBA   R. Reloj, unknown site, 26 Oct, 0940 - Usual ticks and code
       ID's [JR].
 830  ST. KITTS & NEVIS   Trinity Broadcast Network, Charlestown, Nevis,
       23 Oct, 0923 - Religious music request program for listeners on
       Caribbean islands; ID as "This is Radio Paradise, broadcasting 24
       hours a day with 50,000 watts of awesome power;" good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0354 - // 7510 with prayer for forgiveness; excellent
       [MC].
 840  ARGENTINA   R. Salta (LV9), Salta, 24 Oct, 0853 - News program "El
       Paìs Hoy,"heard many times before; SIO 333 [JB/JF].
 840  BRAZIL   R. Bandeirantes (ZYK687), São Paulo, 24 Oct, 0028 - Ad,
       ID in Portuguese; poor [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0515 - Pips at 0515, ID [JR].
 840  BRAZIL   R. Excelsior da Bahia (ZYH447), Salvador, 22 Oct, 0118 -
       Ads mentioning Bahia, music but faded out quickly; fair [JF].
 840  CUBA   CMHW, Santa Clara, 27 Oct, 1000 - "CMHW, Cadena Provincial
       de Radio Indigatura, en el corazón de Cuba" [JR].
     + 29 Oct, 0951 - Telephone number, "música cubana," news for Santa
       Clara province at 0957 bracketed by strident music; SIO 343 [JB].
 840  HAITI   4VEH, Cap Haitien, 27 Oct, 1000 - Sign-on with "Amazing
       Grace" in bell tones, no spoken evidence, but also heard in 1996
       at the same time; however, at the same time on 28 Oct no bells
       were heard [JR].
 840  VENEZUELA   R. Juventud (YVMY), Barquisimeto, 28 Oct, 0935 - ID
       while digging for WXEW Yabucoa, which is only tentative with
       English word "Engineers," and possible mention of Yabucoa [JR].
 850  URUGUAY   R. Carve (CX16), Montevideo, 27 Oct, 0830 - "Carve Ruta"
       about road conditions, ID; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 2331 - Tentative; mentions of Juan Carlos Monoya, local
       ads and telephone numbers [JR].
 850  VENEZUELA   R. Fé y Alegría (YVZC), Maracaibo, 21 Oct, 0915 -
       Spanish ID by woman and LA music; poor [JF].
 860  BRAZIL   R. Cidade (ZYH592), Maracanau, 22 Oct, 2053 - In well
       with Fortaleza ads; this is too early for Rio, which was mixed in
       later and grew to dominance [NK].
 860  BRAZIL   R. CBN (ZYJ459), Rio de Janeiro, 25 Oct, 2300 - "CBN" ID,
       time; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 28 Oct, 0030 - "Rádio CBN" ID, Portuguese talk; loud [MC].
 860  VENEZUELA   R. Enlace 860 (YVYE), Valle de la Pascua, 21 Oct,
       *0859-0902 - National Anthem, nice ID and sign-on announcement,
       LA music; good [JF].
 869.94  VENEZUELA   CNB-870 (YVRU), Puerto La Cruz, 26 Oct, 0920 - ID
       after music [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 0356 - Atop with ads and "CNB" ID's [NK].
 890  BRAZIL   R. Gazeta (ZYK690), São Paulo, 28 Oct, 2353 - Over and
       under other Brazilians, mentioned location during religious talk
       at 2353, then jingle ID at 0006; SIO 222 [JB].
 890  BRAZIL   R. Planalto (ZYH706), Brasília, 28 Oct, 0600 - ID,
       mention of Brasília; shortly after this time a continuous sound
       of seagulls was heard...was this Planalto's morning background
       sound, or another station? [JR].
     + 28 Oct, 2331 - Number of Brazilians audible concurrently, this
       one had music, ID's at 2331 and 2340, audio seemed a bit muffled;
       SIO 332 [JB].
 890  UNID   24 Oct, 0857-0905 - Easy-listening Spanish ballads mixing
       with another co-channel Spanish station which dominated by 0900;
       poor [JF].
 890  URUGUAY   R. Sarandí Sport (CX18), Montevideo, 28 Oct, 0702 - Ads,
       talk about Uruguayan soccer then car racing, Uruguayan government
       agency promo; SIO 322 with QRM from a station just broadcasting
       bird sounds [JB].
 895  ST. KITTS & NEVIS   V. of Nevis, Bath Village, Nevis, 27 Oct, 2200
       - Ad for "Joseph's Stop-and-Shop and Quick Bargains," then slogan
       "Caribbean Powerhouse, Von Radio" [MC].
 900  BARBADOS   Caribbean Broadcasting Corp., Bridgetown, 27 Oct, 2157
       - BBC Caribbean News; over others [MC].
 910  ARGENTINA   La Red (LR5), Buenos Aires, 27 Oct, 0815 - Schedule
       for televised soccer in Argentina, news, ID, time and weather;
       SIO 343 [JB].
 910  SAN ANDRÉS / COLOMBIA   RCN (HJMY), San Andrés, 25 Oct, 0621 - //
       980 RCN [JR].
 910  VENEZUELA   RQ-910 (YVRQ), Caracas, 24 Oct, 2327 - Strong all week
       [JR].
     + 26 Oct, 0850 - LA ballads with very few announcements, // 1580;
       SIO 433 [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 2314 - Venezuelan political speech // 720, 1020 [MC].
 930  BRAZIL   unID station, 29 Oct, 2313 - Portuguese preacher, through
       CJYQ [JR].
 940  BRAZIL   LBV (ZYJ453), Rio de Janeiro, 28 Oct, 0719 - Network
       program [JR].
     + 29 Oct, 0041 - "LBV" network ID, Portuguese preaching // 1410
       [MC].
 950  ARGENTINA   R. Libertad (LR3), Buenos Aires, 29 Oct, 0300 - ID's,
       and anti-drugs announcement; SIO 322 [JB].
 950  BRAZIL   R. Atalaia (ZYL212), Belo Horizonte, 29 Oct, 0259 - ID
       while briefly over R. Libertad; SIO 322 [JB].
     + 30 Oct, 0251 - "Rádio Atalaia AM" ID [JR].
 970  BRAZIL   R. Pampa (ZYK201), Porto Alegre, 25 Oct, 0151-0220 -
       Soccer coverage to 0204, jingle ID at 0204, program promo for
       "Tribuna Popular" at 0209, talked about events in Porto Alegre at
       0211; SIO 433 at peak [JB].
     + 25 Oct, 0156 - Also used "Um Nova Onda" slogan, mentioned Vasco
       da Gama football team [JR].
     + 25 Oct, 0209 - Male in Portuguese mentioning "uma nova" (a new
       station - renamed Radio Caicara, Porto Alegre), program "Tribuna
       Popular;" poor [JF].
 980  BRAZIL   R. Nacional (ZYH707), Brasília, 21 Oct, 0159 - ID, news
       at 0200; SIO 333 over RCN [JB].
     + 25, 0236 - Music "In The Mood," Portuguese ID, music "Johnny B.
       Goode;" fair with QRM from Colombia [JF].
 980  COLOMBIA   RCN (HJES), Calí, 21 Oct, 0207 - Faded up over Brazil
       with political ad, ID and news; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 0908 - Spanish talk with lots of mentions of Colombia,
       ads; good [JF].
     + 23 Oct, 0316 - Report from RCN Bucaramanga; SIO 343 [JB].
     + 25 Oct, 0231 - News and ID, also heard 27 Oct, 0925 [JR].
 990  ARGENTINA   R. Splendid (LR4), Buenos Aires, 21 Oct, 0022 -
       Presumed; tango music under co-channel CBY; poor [JF].
 990  BRAZIL   R. Rural (ZYJ596), Mossoró, 22 Oct, 2222 - Very loud
       peaks over and under CBY and then faded away; mellow Portuguese
       music and nice ID as "Rádio Rural em Mossoró" [NK].
     + 22 Oct, 2224 - Mellow pops, ID; SIO 222 under CBY [JB].
1010  BRAZIL   R. Bahia (ZYH448), Salvador, 22 Oct, 2145 - Soccer, ads,
       ID with call at 2202; SIO 322 [JB/JF].
     + 25 Oct, 2105 - Station promos [JR].
1010  BRAZIL   R. CBN (ZYH625), Fortaleza, 29 Oct, 0200 - Portuguese
       talk; in dogfight with CKXD and WINS [MC].
1010  BRAZIL   R. Povo (ZYH635), Fortaleza, 22 Oct, 2145 - "Igreja
       Universal" programming, ID at 2202; SIO 322 [JB].
1020  VENEZUELA   R. Margarita (YVRS), La Asunción, 27 Oct, 2314 -
       Venezuelan political speech // 720 & 910 [MC].
1020.08  PARAGUAY   R. Ñandutí (ZP14), Asunción, 26 Oct, 0657 - Slogan,
       "ABC Color," "Cadena Farmacia," "50 años en Paraguay" [JR].
     + 29 Oct, 0757 - Presumed; woman announcer with names of contest
       winners, lively music; SIO 332 with deep fades [JB].
1030  BRAZIL   R. Olinda (ZYI777), Olinda, 22 Oct, 2150 - Ads, pop
       music, ID at 2201; fair with fades [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 0647 - Slogan heard [JR].
1049.97  UNID   27 Oct, 2335 - Het [MC].
1050  URUGUAY   S.O.D.R.E. (CX26), Montevideo, 27 Oct, 2331 - Tentative;
       sports schedule, no ID [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 2339-2344 - Tentative; schedule of motor sports in
       Uruguay, lots of news about Formula One racing; peaked at SIO 333
       but lost to WEVD [JB].
1060  BRAZIL   R. Tapuyo de Mossoró (ZYJ597), Mossoró, 26 Oct, 2057 -
       Guitar music, ID and more music at 2101; SIO 233 [JB].
     + 28 Oct, 2323 - ID noted in passing [JR].
1070  ARGENTINA   R. El Mundo (LR1), Buenos Aires, 22 Oct, 0220 -
       Presumed; program about Cole Porter and Frank Sinatra; SIO 322
       under CBA [JB].
1070  FRENCH GUYANA   RFO, Cayenne, 25 Oct, 0247 - Noted in passing //
       1375 over and under CBA and Spanish QRM [NK].
1080  BRAZIL   "R. Jornal," unknown location, 22 Oct, 0056-0111 - Many
       "Rádio Jornal" promos, which sounded like ID's not just the radio
       news, but mainly talk; SIO 322 with QRM from Venezuela and a
       classical music station that was likely the university station in
       Porto Alegre [JB].
1080  VENEZUELA   R. Barcelona (YVQJ), Barcelona, 21 Oct, 0132-0140 - ID
       "Alegría, Música, Radio Barcelona presenta ..." lively Latin
       music; fair [JF].
     + 22 Oct, 0100 - ID as it faded up over the Brazilians, Venezuelan
       music from 0106; SIO 332 [JB].
1090  BRAZIL   R. Catolica / R. Brasileno, 26 Oct, 0739 - These slogans
       were heard, but almost certainly a network of some kind [JR].
1100  ANTIGUA   R. ZDK, St. John's, 24 Oct, 0822 - Tentative; religious
       music with male in English with a Caribbean accent; fair [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 2325 - Soca music; excellent [MC].
1100  BRAZIL   R. Globo (ZYK694), São Paulo, 21 Oct, 0129-0134 - Talk in
       Portuguese, Brasopops at 0130, ID and program promos; fair to
       good [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 2330 - Man in Portuguese; loud, rolling in over ZDK-
       Antigua [MC].
1110  ARGENTINA   R. Municipal (LS1), Buenos Aires, 22 Oct, 0108 - All
       talk about Buenos Aires, ID's; SIO 332 with deep fades [JB/JF].
1120  BRAZIL   R. Rural Educadora (ZYK274), Porto Alegre, 27 Oct, 0451 -
       New ID in mess. [JR]
1120  PUERTO RICO   R. Once (WMSW), Arecibo, 24 Oct, 2359 - "Radio Once"
       ID [JR].
1130  BRAZIL   R. Nacional (ZYJ460), Rio de Janeiro, 20 Oct, 2203 -
       Station hype, DJ gave location as Rio; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 0119 - Presumed; remote report in Portuguese; good [JF].
     + 29 Oct, 0204 - Slogan "Rádio Nacional de Rio," way over WBBR and
       Venezuela [MC].
1160  ANTIGUA   Caribbean Lighthouse, St. John's, 24 Oct, 2357-0001 -
       Spanish religious program with Florida address at the end, male
       announcer mentioned "La Hora de España" and that the next program
       would be in English, full ID at 0000; fair [JF].
1160  BERMUDA   VSB3, Hamilton, 24 Oct, 0737 - In very briefly with a
       radio play // 5975; poor [JF].
1170  BRAZIL   R. Difusora (ZYJ598), Mossoró, 22 Oct, 2221 - Tentative;
       soccer match São Paulo vs Guaraní, possible ID at 2230, time pips
       then back to soccer; fair [JF].
     + 25 Oct, 2103-2117 - Lots of "Mossoró" mentions but no ID until
       2116; SIO 444 [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 2133 - Shoe ad, ID sung, mention of Mossorró [JR].
1180  BRAZIL   R. Capital (ZYH889), São Luís, 21 Oct, 0401-0410 - Pretty
       clear after sign off of R. Maturín, ID with call letters, some
       music, and locally produced religious program from 0407; SIO 333
       [JB].
     + 25 Oct, 0330 - ID, but no other clues [JR].
1180  CUBA   R. Taíno (CMBT), Villa Maria, 27 Oct, 0855 - Chimes at
       0900, "desde Habana" [JR].
1180  VENEZUELA   R. Maturín (YVOR), Maturín, 21 Oct, 0400 - ID and
       sign-off announcing both MW and SW frequencies, although the
       latter has not been active for years; SIO 332 [JB].
1190  ARGENTINA   R. América (LR9), Buenos Aires, 21 Oct, 0127 - Male
       talking with mentions of Argentina; fair [JF].
1200  VENEZUELA   R. Tiempo (YVOZ), Caracas, 28 Oct, 0559 - Venezuelan
       music, "Tiempo AM" ID, lottery numbers; SIO 343 [JB].
1220  BRAZIL   R. Globo (ZYJ258), Rio de Janeiro, 21 Oct, 0108-0119 -
       Portuguese talk, jingle ID, ads at 0109, remote interview at
       0115; good [JF].
1230  BRAZIL   R. Guararema (ZYJ816), São José, 22 Oct, 0130 - Frequent
       ID's, ads; SIO 343 [JB].
     + 25 Oct, 0358 - Heard all week [JR].
1230  PUERTO RICO   R. Unica (WNIK), Arecibo, 27 Oct, 2222 - Ads
       mentioned addresses in Mayaguez, telephone chat, at 2239: "...12-
       30 AM de Radio Unica, su estación favorita;" SIO 332 [JB/JF].
1240  VENEZUELA   R. Nacional (YVNV), Punta Tumatey, 29 Oct, 0448 - "Alo
       Presidente!" frequently heard in relation to visit of Cuban
       leader Fidel Castro to Venezuela, promo for "RNV Popular" [JR].
1250.04  BRAZIL   R. CBN (ZYI218), Vitória, 25 Oct, 0402 - "CBN
       Madrugada" slogan, // 860 [JR].
1260  BRAZIL   R. Morada do Sol (ZYK688), São Paulo, 25 Oct, 2159 -
       Clear ID heard, frequent [JR].
1270  ARGENTINA   R. Provincia (LS11), La Plata, 28 Oct, 0827 - Nice ID
       on tape [JR].
1280  PUERTO RICO   Noti-Uno (WCMN), Arecibo, 24 Oct, 0859 - Complete
       network station list; SIO 333 but lost ground fast to WADO [JB].
     + 28 Oct, 0851 - Noti-Uno network list [JR].
1290  VENEZUELA   R. Puerto Cabello (YVLF), Puerto Cabello, 21 Oct -
       0920-0924 - Cumbia music, possible ID at 0922, local news but
       fading quickly; fair [JF].
     + 25 Oct, 0430 - Heard all week [JR].
1300  BRAZIL   R. Iracema AM (ZYH586), Fortaleza, 23 Oct, 0222 - Fire
       and brimstone Portuguese preacher // 1330; 1260 and 1060; fair
       [JF].
     + 23 Oct, 0400 - ID with call letters, into "A Voz da
       Libertaçao;"SIO 333 [JB].
1300  BRAZIL   unknown slogan (ZYK535), São Bernardo do Campo, 23 Oct,
       0345 - Tentative; this rose up atop the preaching pest from
       Fortaleza with Portuguese music then ID as" Rádio ???? 1300 kHz,
       São Paulo, Capital;" the presumed station is in a São Paulo
       suburb; I list this as tentative as I can't understand the
       slogan, which didn't sound like listed "Rádio Universo" [NK].
1320  VENEZUELA   unID station, 27 Oct, 2222-2231 - Political-sounding
       speech, mentioning Venezuela; trading places with Noti-Uno and
       over a Brazilian with CKEC phased [NK].
1330  BRAZIL   R. Liberal (ZYI533), Belém, 28 Oct, 0811 - Music // 4775
       [JR].
1330  URUGUAY   R. Fenix (CX40), Montevideo, 29 Oct, 2212 - Religious
       program, with speaker exhorting "hermanos de Paraguay y Argentina
       a Montevideo ... municipal edificio, nov. 9, 1 de la tarde,"
       followed by prayer [JR].
1340  BRAZIL   R. CBN, unknown site, 28 Oct, 0800 - Network ID [JR].
1340  BRAZIL   unID station, 27 Oct, 0816 - Sports network feed from
       Brasília [JR].
1360  BRAZIL   R. Bandeirantes / Super R. Guanabara (ZYJ464), Rio de
       Janeiro, 25 Oct, 0258 - Religion, R. Bandeirantes ID with call at
       0300; SIO 322 with CKBC QRM [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 0327 - Heard with "Super Rádio Guanabara" slogan [JR].
1370  BRAZIL   R. Atual (ZYK766), São Paulo, 23 Oct, 0259 - Talk, at
       0300 song about how wonderful Rádio Atual is; SIO 333 [JB].
1370  BRAZIL   R. Difusora (ZYI892), Teresina, 28 Oct, 0836 - ID,
       woman's voice [JR].
1375.02  ST. PIERRE & MIQUELON   RFO, St. Pierre, 27 Oct, 1756 - '60s
       Las Vegas style lounge music with French vocal; semi-local [MC].
1380  BRAZIL   R. Difusora (ZYK507), Lençóis Paulista, 28 Oct, 0620 -
       Likely; many, many ID's as "Difusora" (with very distinctive
       penny whistle sound), three R. Difusora's are listed in the WRTH,
       no cities were mentioned, except for an event in São Paulo and
       there was an ad for a business on Avenida 15 Novembro, which is
       the same street as this station in the WRTH [JR].
1380  BRAZIL   Super Difusora, 29 Oct, 2218 - Different than the
       previous station (which was also heard around this time with the
       same penny whistle ID); possibly Campos [JR].
1380  VENEZUELA   Ondas del Mar (YVNG), Puerto Cabello, 25 Oct, 0902 -
       Caught signing on, QRM from WMYF and a station in Portuguese
       (likely domestic at this time); SIO 333 [JB].
     + 26 Oct, 0911 - Slogan and "feliz navidad" [JR].
1380  UNID   27 Oct, 2315 - ID as "Trece-Ochenta AM" "La Primera" [NK].
1400  GRENADA   Harbour Light of the Windwards, Carriacou, 27 Oct, 2248
       - Caribbean-accented preaching; good with CBG phased [MC].
1400  UNID   27 Oct, 2201 - Anthem, then blank carrier [MC].
1410  ARGENTINA   R. Folklorisimo, José Leon Suarez, 22 Oct, 0236-0402 -
       Over and under many stations, tango music, cruddy ID at 0317, but
       an unequivocal one at 0402, then more "música folklorica;" SIO
       222 [JB].
1410  BRAZIL   LBV Mundial network station, 22 Oct, 0315 - Heard
       throughout the evening, but a very clear network ID at this time;
       333 [JB].
     + 27 Oct, 2250 - National network, unsure of this station's
       location [JR].  27 Oct, 2254-2301 - Many "LBV Mundial" ID's,
       seemed to mention Minas Gerais location, but no station is listed
       in that state; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 29 Oct, 0041 - "LBV" network religious program // 940 [MC].
1410  BRAZIL   R. Clube (ZYI382), Corumbá, 28 Oct, 0900 - Loud slogan,
       tape replay reveals "Corumbá" mention; this one is right across
       the river from Bolivia; this was the last Brazilian heard before
       sunrise, which fits with its western location in the country
       [JR].
     + 30 Oct, 0756 - Mention of Corumbá [JR].
1410  BRAZIL   R. Cultura (ZYJ328), Cândido de Abreu, 27 Oct, 0903 -
       Tentative; "Bom dia" and ID heard, nothing else [JR].
1410  BRAZIL   R. São Gonçalo (ZYH467), São Gonçalo dos Campos, 26 Oct,
       2052-2101 - Promos about "rádio da familia," much talk, but clear
       ID at 2101; SIO 322 [JB}.
     + 26 Oct, 2100 - ID [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 2250 - "Dos Campos AM 1410" slogan [JR].
1410  BRAZIL   unID station, 27 Oct, 2045-2055 - Strange rustic folksie
       music, the same kind was heard later on 1570 [NK].
1410  COLOMBIA   R. Guadalajara (HJEI), Buga, 22 Oct, 0254 - Sign-off
       announcement with full ID over clarinet music; SIO 222 [JB].
1430  BRAZIL   R. Clube Paranaense (ZYJ200), Curitiba, 30 Oct, 0801 -
       Full ID heard [JR].
1430  BRAZIL   R. Libertadora Mossoroense (ZYJ604), Mossoró, 25 Oct,
       2121 - "Mossoró para Cristo" [JR].
1430  PUERTO RICO   WNEL, Caguas, 29 Oct, 0456 - Noti-Uno network list
       includes WNEL [JR].
1460  BRAZIL   unID station, 25 Oct, 2135-2140 - Taped many ads and a
       possible ID, "kHz" mentioned, etc...a Portuguese speaker might
       have ID'ed this [NK].
1460  BRAZIL   unID station, 29 Oct, 2121 - "AM" non-ID [JR].
1480  BRAZIL   R. A Voz do Sertão AM (ZYI790), Serra Talhada, 29 Oct,
       2121 - Probable; "Zoom-zoom-zoom" ... SomZoom network; this
       station is the only one listed on this frequency on the Rede
       SomZoom Web-site [JR].
1500  VENEZUELA   R. Dos Mil (YVRZ), Cumaná, 28 Oct, 2356 - "Radio Dos
       Mil" ID; huge [MC].
1520  BRAZIL   R. Salinas (ZYJ610), Macau, 22 Oct, 2117 - Presumed;
       SomZoom net; two are on list but we've ID'ed this one several
       times before from here; at this early hour conditions were quite
       good to eastern Brazil, as is the norm here [NK].
1520  BRAZIL   R. Bela Vista (ZYH530), Poções, 27 Oct, 0659 - ID as
       "Rádio Bela Vista, Poções, Bahia;" morning show with sounds of
       farm animals, listened to this for more than an hour without any
       ID, but on the tape replay the ID appeared in the first twenty
       seconds! [JR].
1520  VENEZUELA   R. Musical Guapa (YVIC), Guatire, 24 Oct, 0301 -Over
       and under WWKB and Brazilian preaching; lively Venezuelan music
       and "Radio Musical Guapa" ID (NK)
1529.61  URUGUAY   R. Independencia (CX50), Montevideo, 22 Oct, 0210 -
       Promo, old mellow pop music; SIO 342 [JB].
1530  ARGENTINA   R. Capital, Buenos Aires, 22 Oct, 0148 - Mess of
       stations, this one up with time for Buenos Aires, seemed to be
       some sort of a call-in marathon, phone numbers frequently given;
       SIO 322 [JB].
1530  UNID   La Voz de Liberación station, 27 Oct, 0835 - "Battle Hymn
       of the Republic" theme music: Jean says this is a syndicated
       program in Spanish and Portuguese [JR].
1540  BRAZIL   R. Baixa Verda (ZYH611), João Camara, 25 Oct, 2100 - This
       is the one listed with the SomZoom network, // several others;
       this early hour features great signals from NE Brazil [NK].
1550  BRAZIL   R. Gazeta d'Oeste (ZYJ606), Areia Branca, 25 Oct, 2103 -
       Atop the clandestine Algerian with lively Portuguese music and an
       ID as "Rádio Gazeta do Areia Branca" [NK].
1550  BRAZIL   R. Guarujá Paulista (ZYK590), Guarujá, 27 Oct, 0737 -
       "Bom dia trabajadores," "madrugal," ID [JR].
1550  VENEZUELA   unID station, 30 Oct, 0400 - Venezuelan anthem
       followed by a state anthem [JR].
1559.2  UNID   27 Oct, 0012 - Carrier, on south wire [MC].
1560  BRAZIL   R. Cultura do Oeste (ZYJ608), Pau do Ferros, 22 Oct, 2115
       - Presumed; over the R. Disney pest with Rede SomZoom network
       program [NK].
1570  BRAZIL   R. Sertão Central (ZYH621), Senador Pompeu, 23 Oct, 2108
       - "Sertão Central AM" ID, time check, then Portuguese music [NK].
1570  BRAZIL   R. Cidade (2 possibilities), 25 Oct, 0602 - 4+1 pips at
       0600 [JR].
1570  BRAZIL   unID station, 27 Oct, 0404 - Singing ID, "Clube", "Hora
       de Brasil 1:04," singing ID, slogan (or ad) "el socohor, eso
       alegria ... Rádio Globo juventud, el soco ..." three possible
       slogans, so not sure who this is [JR].
1570  USA   WBUG, Amsterdam NY, 30 Oct, 0558 - ID [JR].
1577.95  UNID   28 Oct, 2320 - Het, best on Brazil-Bev [MC].
1580  BRAZIL   unID station, 27 Oct, 2102 - "Ave Maria," soft music,
       Jean heard "Ceará" mentioned [JR].
1580.02  VENEZUELA   "RQ", Cumaná, 23 Oct, 2359 - // 910, "RQ" ID's
       [JR].
1580.35  UNID   28 Oct, 2320 - Het, best on Brazil-Bev [MC].
1590  BRAZIL   R. Santa Cruz (ZYJ614), Santa Cruz, 22 Oct, 2115 - "Rede
       SomZoom" program, jingle at 2117; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 22 Oct, 2115-2121 - Brasopops as part of "Som Zoom" program,
       jingle ID's (sounded like Radio Santa Cruz but was somewhat
       muffled), male announcer talking to listener; fair [JF].
     + 23 Oct, 2114 - Full slogan ID heard; very good [JR/NK].
1590.9  BRAZIL   unID station,25 Oct, 2109 - Brazilian suspected;
       het/carrier on the Brazilian Beverage [NK].
1590.95  UNID   28 Oct, 2320 - Het, best on Brazil-Bev [MC].
1600  BRAZIL   R. Nove de Julho (ZYK779), São Paulo, 27 Oct, 0806 -
       Clear ID [JR].
1600  PUERTO RICO   R. Luz (WLUZ), Bayamón, 27 Oct, 2113 - "Radio Luz"
       ID and "compleaños" (birthday) greetings to listener; atop WUNR
       and Brazil [MC].
1610  ANGUILLA   Caribbean Beacon, The Valley, 23 Oct, 0239 - English
       religious program, weak [JF].
1620  ARGENTINA   R. Tropicana, Buenos Aires, 21 Oct, 0206-0214 -
       Spanish religious talk, one word ID "Tropical" at 0207 and into a
       program of more upbeat music; poor to Fair [JF].
     + 27 Oct, 2316 - Frequently heard with music, finally an ID [JR].
1620  USA   WTAW, College Station TX, 27 Oct, 0400 - ID while looking
       for Argentinean station [JR].
1630  ARGENTINA   La Red 92, Buenos Aires, 23 Oct, 0138-0151 - Opera
       type music and Spanish announcements; poor [JF].
     + 26 Oct, 2353 - ID in heavy noise [JR].
     + 27 Oct, 0826 - "Canciones de Argentina" [JR].
1630  USA   KCJK, Iowa City IA, 28 Oct, 0953 - Morning show [JR].
1630  USA   WAWX, Augusta GA, 29 Oct, 0920 - New American X-bander now
       dominates this frequency making Argentina trickier; lots of ads,
       One-on-One Sports hype, "WRDW" ID at 0925; SIO 444 [JB].
1640  ARGENTINA   R. Bolivia, Buenos Aires, 25 Oct, 0344-0401 -
       Tentative; Spanish DJ taking phone calls, brief LA music
       selections; poor with overmodulated audio [JF].
1640.03  UNID   27 Oct, 0150-0200 - Horrible modulation with what
       sounded like a woman preaching, in Spanish I think, then music
       from 0158 across the top of the hour; SIO 322-1 [JB].
1670  ARGENTINA   BBC Relay, Buenos Aires, 21 Oct, 0143-0218 - ID
       "Transmitiendo ... BBC de Londres desde Buenos Aires,
       Argentina...", easy-listening instrumental piano music, another
       ID at 0157 then into more music through the top of the hour; fair
       with QRM from WRMC [JF].
     + 28 Oct, 0803 - Tentative; the weakest of the Argentine X-banders,
       with classical music, no ID's heard all week [JR].
1670  USA   WRMC, Warner Robins GA, 28 Oct, 0110 - Sports [JR].
1700  USA   WAFN, Miami Springs FL, 24 Oct, 2358 - Sports talk [JR].

Beacons (all by Jim Renfrew)

LONGWAVE NDB's
212  CAN  SJ  NF St. John's    10/24  0012  NDB
212  CAN  YLB  ???      10/24  0012  NDB
217  CAN  BX  PQ Blanc Sablon  10/24  0012  NDB
219  CAN  Q  NS Sydney    10/24  0012  NDB
225  CAN?  1M        10/23  1908  NDB
225  CAN  QM  NB Moncton    10/23  1908  NDB
229  CAN  PD  NS Port Hawksbury  10/24  1125  NDB
234  CAN  7H  NF Winterland NF  10/23  1908  NDB
243  CAN  YVB  PQ Bonaventure  10/23  1910  NDB
246  CAN  S  NF Logy Bay    10/24  1125  NDB
248  CAN  YMH  NF Mary's Harbour  10/24  1125  NDB
252  CAN  5B  PE Summerville  10/23  1911  NDB
261  CAN  YT  NF St. John's    10/23  1911  NDB
263  CAN  QY  NS Sydney    10/24  0100  NDB
268  CAN  O  NF St. John's    10/24  0100  NDB
270  CPV  SAL  Ilha do Sal    10/29  0020  NDB
276  CAN  YHR  PQ Chevery    10/24  0100  NDB
279  ???  YA        10/24  0100  NDB
280  CAN   QX  NF Gander    10/24  0100  NDB
281  CAN  CA  NF Cartwright    10/29  0334  NDB
322  CAN   UWP  NF Argentia    10/24  0100  NDB
327  POR  POR  Porto      10/24  0100  NDB
335  MDR  PST  Porto Santo    10/24  0100  NDB
345  CAN  1D  PE Charlottetown  10/24  0100  NDB
349  CAN  DF  NF Deer Lake    10/24  0123  NDB
356  CAN  AY  NF St. Anthony    10/24  0123  NDB
358  CAN   NL  NF St. John's    10/24  0123  NDB
370  CAN  1A  NF Williams Harbor  10/24  0125  NDB
378  CAN  HO  NF Hopedale    10/24  0125  NDB
378  ???  6A        10/24  0125  NDB
390  CAN  JT  NF Stephenville    10/24  0125  NDB
390  PTO  DDP  San Juan    10/29  0336  NDB
392  CAN  ML  PQ Charlevoix    10/29  0338  NDB
394    JY        10/29  0340  NDB
396  CAN  JC  NF Rigolet    10/24  0125  NDB
404  CAN  YSL  NB St. Leonard    10/28  2229  NDB
412  CAN  BC  PQ Baie Comeau  10/24  0130  NDB
413  ???  C6        10/24  1125  NDB
450  DOM  PPA  Puerta Plata    10/29  0350  NDB
518  B  BHZ  Belo Horizonte    10/29  0345  NDB
520  CAN  F9  NB Chatham    10/28  1005  NDB

X BAND BEACONS
1610  DEN  OXZ  Lyngby R.    10/26  2205  code ID
1620  ???  ZZ        10/27  0402  code ID
1645  ???  ZML        10/25  0242  code ID
1650  ???  SS53  Fishing Buoy?    10/27  0404  code ID
1650  F  CROSS, Corsen      10/28  0006  weather for "La Manche"
1730  B  FRA  Fora      10/25  0613  code ID

Commentaries from the DXers

John Fisher
  Once again, another Newfoundland DXpedition is in the books, and I am
left with just the memories, the pictures, the tapes and the log reports
to remind me of the fun that I enjoyed.
  Like everyone else this year, I too had my tales of adverse weather to
tell.  About three hours before I was due to leave on my overnight
flight from Calgary, I received an E-mail from Jean telling me of a
hurricane that was currently sweeping through Central Newfoundland.
Fortunately, the maximum 175 km/h winds were starting to subside by the
time that my flight left, so that when I arrived the winds were down to
only? 110 km/h.  That made for a somewhat bumpy landing, but nowhere
near as bad as some landings that I have had in much less wind.  The
pilots who fly into St. John's really know how to fly in rough weather.
  At home, I am primarily a SW DXer, only occasionally venturing down to
the MW band; the QRM from local MW stations and the lack of room for a
good MW antenna limits decent MW reception.  When I am Newfoundland, I
shift to primarily to MW with only occasional forays (albeit, often good
ones) into the SW bands.  One SW catch that I finally made was to hear
the new AFRTS station in Diego Garcia on 12579 kHz.
  The key feature of MW reception in Newfoundland that I most enjoy is
the long openings that exist. Mark Connelly's fine commentary [below]
better describes the fade in and fade out patterns than I could, because
of his experience from Cape Cod, but I continue to be impressed by the
distance over which stations can be heard and the low transmitter power
that will propagate across the Atlantic.  From as early at 1830 UTC (4
p.m. local time) to as late as 1000 UTC (7:30 a.m. local) there is
something exotic to be heard.  In the early afternoon, reception opens
up to the Middle East with good signals from stations such as Dubai
1314, Abu Dhabi 1476 and the many Saudi channels.  As darkness passes
over Europe, signals start to pick up from more Western regions.
British private stations can appear briefly at any time, rising above
co-channel stations before dropping down just as quickly.  It was during
one of these openings that I picked up Liberty Radio on 963 and 972 kHz.
The 972 channel was especially nice as it uses only 200 watts of power.
  Not all of the time was spent hunkered over radio dials.  Faithfully
every day, we journeyed out for lunch at one of the local establishments
in Trepassey, Ferryland and Cape Broyle.  Calling these restaurants
"local," though, was a bit of a stretch as they were all between 30 and
45 minutes away by car.  However, in the Southern Avalon peninsula the
population is widely dispersed and restaurants are also.
  This trip was my fourth to this site.  I know that I am starting to
become more of a regular by the reception that the local dogs give us.
One of the features of the Cappahayden area is the number of black lab
dogs (pets not wild) that wander through the area.  On the first couple
of trips the dogs would routinely bark at us while they protected what
was their turf.  But now, the dogs rarely barked out of anger but more
to inform us that they wanted to play catch. "Bullet," the dog of the
house, enjoyed playing catch with 6 foot 2-by-4's, fence posts, balls or
anything else that could be thrown!  The dogs would also accompany me on
walks through bush, well away from the DX-Inn often bringing a ball
along for entertainment on the way.
  On these bush walks, I had to be alert to both hunters and moose.  It
was moose season.  Occasionally we would hear shots and once I ran
across some fresh dung, so there were some in the area.  Fortunately,
they did not decide to test out the strength of our antennas, a
challenge that the moose would easily win.  Mid October also represented
what appeared to be the end of the berry season.  Bushes still has a few
wild blueberries, which tasted good in pancakes when I got back to
Alberta.  There is also a great abundance of a local ground berry called
the partidgeberry, which grows amongst the moss and the grass.  Imagine
a berry about the size of a small cranberry with a slightly tart taste
and a slightly more chalky texture than a cranberry. Quite good to
nibble on.
  But I digress, back to the results of the DX'ing.....
  Overall, with what we felt was only so-so MW conditions, I personally
was able to hear about 75 countries.  From the comments of others in the
group it appeared that later in the week, there were better openings
into the Middle East, Central Asia and the Caribbean that did not exist
when I was there.  Some of my personal highlights were receptions of
(presumed) Ascension on 1485 and Lesotho on 891 from Africa.  I had
never heard any of the new X-band Argentine stations so hearing 1620,
1630, 1640 and 1670 was a treat.  While conditions to Brazil were
generally only fair, I did spend more time listening to this area than I
have done in the past, so I was able to make a number of new loggings.
A number of Dutch and Greek pirates heard above 1600 kHz were also a new
experience for me.
  All in all, it was quite a productive DX session.

Jim Renfrew
  I had a great time on this DXpedition, especially since my last visits
were way back in 1995 and 1996.  In spite of my intention to develop a
detailed target list in advance, I gave almost no preparation to the
endeavor.  In fact, I left Rochester for the Toronto airport at
midnight, doing most of my packing at the last minute.  So on arrival,
having had no sleep the previous night, we plugged in the antennas, and
I just spun the dial to see what was what!
  There were fewer amazing receptions for me this time, with only a few
new countries heard:  Austria (back on the air now), Isla San Andrés
(counted as a separate country in some lists), Turkmenistan (longwave),
Iceland (longwave), Latvia, Azerbaijan and Cape Verde Islands
(longwave).  This last one came about with my renewed interest in
longwave beacons.  I didn't have my NDB reference list, so I didn't
realize I'd heard this until later.  As far as I can tell, except for
amateur operations, it's the only way to hear Cape Verde Islands.  After
three DXpeditions, the longwave and mediumwave total country count for
me is 121, with three more tentative.
  This must be a shortwave paradise, but I mostly ignored the
opportunities in favor of Medium Wave, except in looking for shortwave
parallel transmissions.  One notable exception was tuning in Nepal on
two shortwave frequencies, which I have not yet heard at home.
  Lots of Brazilians were heard, but ID's were difficult to extract.
It's a beautiful language, but in the noise it sounds like someone
trying to speak with a mouth full of marshmallows!  It also seemed like
there are now more networks (e.g., no local ID's), which is frustrating!
Making up for so many Brazilian "maybes," I cleaned up on low power
Europeans, especially from Britain and Spain, mostly spotting low power
parallels to the higher power stations.  The X-Band Argentines were
interesting targets.  It was nice to see these stations coming in long
after Brazil had dropped out in the morning, due to the angle of the
terminator.  In fact, this is my favorite time to DX, when the
terminator appears to be racing across South America and the Caribbean,
and stations rise and fall for only minutes at a time.
  We had an interesting discussion about logging synchronous
transmitters.  How many stations can the DXer count when hearing these?
In my own log book I enter "synchros" instead of a specific site, and
list the power of the highest power outlet.  There are times when
distinct echoes reveal the presence of one or more additional outlets.
Although this is somewhat akin to "list logging," I believe that
additional sites can be entered into the log book.  For example, I heard
a double echo on Poland 1305 kHz in 1996, and there are three outlets
listed in that year's WRTH, so I am claiming all three.  This gets
complicated when an echoey Spanish station is heard, with three distinct
stations, but the WRTH or Boel's list shows six outlets there.  So in my
log book I enter Synchro A, Synchro B and Synchro C.  Not as neat as I'd
like, but it does show that more than one station was heard.  In fact,
Spanish stations were especially echoey this year.
  Conditions varied from day to day, although not dramtically.  One day
we were going deep to the eastern Mediterranean and Middle East.
Another night it was all Iberia.  We didn't find much from Africa this
year, but there aren't a lot of stations to aim for there!
  One night Neil announced his intention to log Turkmenistan on longwave
at sign-on.  Lo and behold, he did just that at the appointed time.  We
tried to encourage him to be equally anticipatory about some other rare
stations, but he maintained his prophetic inscrutability, so all we can
do is await another auspicious moment next year.
  Thanks to the Lawlor family, as usual, thanks to Jean's family for
letting me spend the night at his home in St. John's, and to Rev. Wendy
Robinson and the people of Mount St. Dennis United Church in Toronto for
allowing me to use their parking lot.  We should also acknowledge our
thanks to "Bullet," the neighborhood dog who made our outdoor antenna
work more fun than usual.  He is so good at playing "fetch," that we'd
like to train him to retrieve the antenna wire at the end of the week!

Mark Connelly
  From 26 to 29 October, 2000 I had the good fortune to attend the ninth
Newfoundland DXpedition.  This is the fifth one of these East Coast
"DXtravaganzas" I've gone to; the previous ones were 1991, 1993, 1995,
and 1998.  The trip up there was routine: this was a good thing when you
consider that on my last journey Air Canada had managed to lose
important luggage for a day.  The weather was occasionally rainy when I
started my drive down Route 10 to Cappahayden around sundown.  As things
turned out, this was about as good as the weather would be.  Normal en-
route dial-scanning on the car radio revealed reasonably good conditions
to northern Europe with "in your face" signals from Sweden, Norway,
Russia-Kaliningrad, and others in the Baltic region.  I was swapping
between Trans-Atlantic DXing, checking easily-heard WCBS-880 for stock
reports following the "Nortel plunge," and listening to the very
enjoyable "Newfoundland music" format on CJYQ-930.
  When I arrived at the DX Inn in Cappahayden that Thursday evening, I
was greeted by local DXpedition host Jean Burnell and visiting US DXers
Neil Kazaross and Jim Renfrew (our esteemed NRC IDXD editor).  It was
great to renew acquaintances with everyone and to be brought up to date
on what had been heard so far. They mentioned that Canadian DXer John
Fisher had been there earlier in the week.  The "receiver shack" room
was all set up with two long tables that provided four operating
positions.  It wasn't long before I set up my "junk" next to Jim
Renfrew's position and started sweeping the band.  The two main
"workhorse" antennas, the 1 km-Brazil-Bev and the 500 m Euro-Bev were
available, so I ran these to the inputs of my phasing unit.  Sometimes I
used a third Beverage, one of approximately 400 m that ran at a bearing
10 or 20 degrees more easterly of the Brazil-getter: this antenna could
provide somewhat better African coverage than either of the other wires.
Jean also had a K9AY antenna which he often had hooked to his receiving
gear. Thursday evening's DX (going into Friday morning) included many
huge TA's including a drifty Syrian on 831.5 and the new "Mega" Germans
on 576 and 1575.  Neil said "I'm going to get Turkmenistan on 279." This
distant longwaver had not been previously logged.  Right on time,
Turkmenistan-279 showed up at sign-on, parallel to its 5015 kHz
shortwave outlet.  We then requested Neil to declare that he was going
to hear several other signals of substantially greater difficulty
(Nepal, Saturn, etc.) in the "belief" that he had some magical powers
with the ionospheric gods.
  On Friday morning, Neil and I went out to do a bit of repositioning of
the African antenna. The Lawlor's black Labrador retriever had great fun
playing fetch with us with some of the wooden stakes that we'd brought
out there for attaching strings to guy the Beverage support poles.  Jean
and Jim joined us to take a ride down to Trepassey for lunch.  The fish
plate I had was excellent, as always.  The lunch also provided for a lot
of good conversation that covered many common interests in and out of
the radio hobby.  As I attend more of these DXpeditions, I find that the
camaraderie is even more valuable than the sounds that come through the
headphones from faraway stations.  The whole Newfoundland DXpedition
experience is much more fulfilling than any of the many solitary DX
sessions I do while sitting out in the car at a beach or pier somewhere.
  Radios were fired up Friday afternoon just before 1800 UTC.  Back in
Massachusetts, the Trans-Atlantic channels seldom have more than two
stations competing for dominance. The openings there are usually
strongly dominated by signals from Spain, Portugal, France, Morocco,
Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, the Canaries, and the Azores.  Sometimes a
good run towards the Middle East develops.  British/Irish stations and
the other big northern Europeans (e.g. 1314, 1386, 1422) can be loud,
but they're not consistent on a nightly basis. Eastern Europeans are
usually poorly represented for the kind of power some of them are
running.  Something with 500 kW from Russia is, at best, on par with
something with 5 kW from Spain on the same channel. Generally, the more
northerly stuff doesn't compete with Iberia / North Africa until an hour
or more after sunset.
  In Newfoundland, DX is a bit different. The first signals that come in
well before sunset are apt to be Norway-1314, Northern Ireland-1341, and
Kaliningrad-1386 rather than the typical Saudi Arabia-1521 "band opener"
noted pre-sunset at shore sites near home.  At Cappahayden, once the big
guns have been "in" for a while, the other channels fill up with
stations.  Rather than the typical one or two stations per channel noted
at home, each channel can become a maelstrom of wildly-varying dominant
stations.  The pile-ups often consist of five or more stations and
what's on top one minute can be hopelessly buried by something else the
next.  Central Europe and Russia can get "hot" and produce signals that
blow away usual boomers like UK-1089.  Expected "pests" from Spain and
Morocco can often sound more like rare DX, deeply submerged below
"killer" Russian, Hungarian, Czech, and Romanian stations.  The Middle
East can then come to life and drop Koranic chanting on top of the
Europeans that had been "ruling the roost" moments earlier.  The ebb and
flow on the radio dial was much like the churning, crashing surf a short
distance behind the "DX Inn".  All of this dynamic vitality and
unpredictability in reception conditions produces a level of excitement
not likely to be duplicated by DXing elsewhere.
  A few of that evening's highlights for me included the Iran
clandestine on 1539.07, Botswana-909, and Angola-1484.55. These are all
stations that I think may be audible back in MA on the right night. One
that I doubt I'd ever hear is one we pulled up on 1233: a 200-watt
Belgian normally used as a traffic information outlet.  When noted at
0120 UTC, it was running an unlisted broadcast parallel to 1125.  As at
home, my main DX activity period was from two hours before sunset to two
hours after sunset.  The Trans-Atlantics were my main focus.  Even with
all the tea I drank, I still tended to want to go to sleep after 0430
UTC (2 a.m. local).  Jim Renfrew turned out to be the "main man" for
wee-hours DXing after 0600 UTC.  This is when many of the best deep
South American loggings were made: rare catches from Brazil, Argentina,
Uruguay, Paraguay, and elsewhere.  Neil and Jean also got into serious
South American hunting at times.  High-band Eastern Brazilians came in a
bit before sunset: the huge 1 km wire pointed right at them glided these
signals in by greatly reducing the European splash heard on the other
antennas.  It was cool to hear Brazilians "doing a job on" some of the
Newfoundland stations when the Brazil-Bev was connected.
  The rain and wind had got worse by Saturday morning.  By midday, Neil
and I went north to a new seafood restaurant in Cape Broyle, near
Ferryland.  I was served a platter with a large and delectable piece of
salmon.  We joined Jim back at the Inn.  Jean had to go up to St. John's
for a few hours.  A possible strike was looming at Memorial University,
his place of employment.  The ever-worsening weather made us cancel a
proposed set-up and test of a Pennant antenna.  Neil is interested in
setting up an array of pennants or K9AY's at his home QTH in the suburbs
of Chicago.  I took some pictures to put on the Web.
  Some DX signals were already rolling in at 1700 UTC.  This was the
first time I'd listened to Greenland on 720 with a decent signal.
Hearing someone speaking Greenlandic was interesting, even though it
sounded like some kind of a dull local meeting with the acoustics of the
basement of a school or church.  A heterodyne of a 1430 station against
the 1431 kHz UK and Italian stations was noted at a time (1830 UTC) too
early to be a domestic.  In a few minutes it got loud and overwhelmed
1431.  I had been looking on 1431 for Iran parallel to 15084 shortwave:
it turned out that the 1430 station was this Iranian, precisely 1 kHz
low of its nominal frequency - seemingly too accurate a separation to be
an accidental drift.  I then found a reference to this 1430 Iranian in a
recent "Medium Wave News" that Jean had brought.  A little later that
evening, back-home local WXKS-1430 faded up.  It was a memorable and
"daft" sounding reception when Iran's Koran recitation and WXKS's "Music
of Your Life" Sinatra nostalgia and Boston mentions were blending evenly
in an incongruous mix on 1430.  That evening we all enjoyed a good run
of Turks with parallel signals on 765, 891, 954, 1017, and 1062.  The
new Libyan on 972 had a butt-kickin' signal that I'm sure would soon
make it to one of my DXpedition sites on Cape Cod with little
difficulty.  Madeira-1125 came through well when I couldn't hear the
other ones on 531 and 603.  For music and for general "local flavour,"
it's hard to beat the lower-powered British locals.  These came through
in great abundance and spiced up the general entertainment value of the
listening experience.  At home, these little stations are at a far
greater deficit to co-channel Spaniards of comparable power, so I don't
get to enjoy them the way I can in Newfoundland.  With domestic DX, I
always have fun checking out how my home locals do at a long distance.
WEEI-850 and WNRB-1510, along with a couple of Maine stations, were
typically the earliest US stations to build up to a strong signal level
about 2000 UTC: better than an hour before sunset on their end.  This is
comparable to the time that big-gun Trans-Atlantics would start to show
at coastal sites in eastern Massachusetts.  Before signing off, WMEX-
1060 bombed in with a Boston-accented show that made me laugh when I
heard the expression "people's republic of Cambridge" often used by
conservative talk-show hosts and local politicians like Albert "Dapper"
O'Neil.  As always, the biggest US signals were from the Boston and New
York City 50 kW blasters; that's also what I'd noted from Ireland back
in 1977.  My Saturday night activity wound down by about midnight local.
I had to pack up my gear and get a few hours sleep so I could depart
Cappahayden at 5 o'clock on Sunday morning.
  I knew it was going to be a rough ride back to the airport that Sunday
because huge storm system in the sea south of Nova Scotia covered the
entire area from Newfoundland and Labrador to New England and New York.
Local broadcasters called it a cool weather version of the tempest that
was featured in the "Perfect Storm" film.  Heavy rain was moving
horizontally on 110 km/h wind gusts.  The normal 1 hour 45 minute ride
took 2 hours 30 minutes.  Some excellent Irish-Newfoundland tunes on
CJYQ soothed me for what would have otherwise been a harrowing journey
in hurricane-like weather from darkness into dim dawn light.  Luckily, I
reached the airport gate in St. John's on time.  I'd read (from others'
previous experiences) that pilots could negotiate these conditions ably,
though I had my doubts.  I walked to the airport door feeling like I was
in a boxing match with the wind-driven rain and ice pellets.  The
airport, under renovation, had some serious roof leaks:  Large plastic
trash bins were strategically placed to catch the indoor cascades.
Take-off at 8.40 a.m. local was remarkably smooth.  Less than two hours
later I was in Halifax:  It was raining there as well.  The second
flight of that day got me back to Boston by noon.  I was surprised to be
greeted there by even colder temperatures and snow flurries.  A few
people figured I'd brought the "Great White North" back home with me.

Rocco Cotroneo's Parallel DXpedition

Dates:    20 October - 24 October, 2000
Location:  Tinharè Island, few miles off Salvador da Bahia, Brazil.
Receiver:  AOR 7030
Antennas:  Two 100-meter longwires, N-S and E-W.
  Conditions were excellent towards Africa (E-W), normal to Europe and
the Middle East and poor to North America.  On the 23rd and 24th of
October a great opening brought in several new stations from Africa's
East Coast, mainly Mozambique, and reached Mayotte Island and India on
1566, an amazing 13,000 km away.  Ascension was heard only on 1485, not
on 1602 this year.  There was no Falklands on 530, so it is possibly
still off.  A new frequency from Egypt on 1103 was also booming in.

AFRICA
 531  Algeria, Alger Chaîne 1, 23/10, 0135
 567  South Africa, Talk Radio, 21/10, 0310
 711.06  Morocco / Western Sahara, Arabic, Koran, 21/10, 2045
 729  South Africa, Puntop // 1332, 21/10, 0315
 783  Mauritania, //4845 never strong as expected here, 21/10, 2350
 819  Morocco, RTM Rabat, strong, 21/10, 0030
 864  Morocco, huge signal, 21/10, 0035
 873  Mozambique, Emissora Prov de Supala, local ID (all Mozambique
       stations seem to carry extended programs on Saturday, well after
       0100), 22/10, 0000
 873  Botswana (again at 0335 // 4820), 21/10, 0040
 891  UNID African, spirituals, local language, till 0200, does not seem
       to be Lesotho and no // with 4800, 21/10, 2310
 945.02  Angola, R. Nacional in English; regular here, all night, 21/10,
       2135
 963  Mozambique, Emissora Prov de Tete, local id, 21/10, 2030
 981  Algeria, Arabic vocals, 21/10, 0140
1026  Mozambique, Emissora Provincial de Manica, 21/10, 2100
1053  Morocco in Arabic, 21/10, 2310
1088  Angola, Radio Nacional  at 02,00 still on, 21/10, 0010
1098  South Africa, Mmabatho, regular,not sure about the exact name,
       22/10, 2100
1103  Egypt, Voice of the Arabs (thanks to Renato Bruni, Italy, for
       identifying this as a parallel to 612), very strong, 20/10, 2020
1134  UNID African, local language, Kenya?, 23/10, 0315
1206  Mozambique, Emissora Prov de Inhambane, ID after national news at
       2130 in // 963 & 1224, 21/10, 2140
1224  Mozambique, Presumed Emissora Prov de Cabo Delgado), 21/10, 2115
1278  Angola, Cabinda, local program after national news at 2300 // 1088
       & 1485, 23/10, 2320
1287  UNID African, local, phone calls, R. Swazi, South Africa?, 23/10,
       2125
1377.04  African, English with music, then switching to Portuguese
       announcing "final" and national anthem with sign-off at 0010;
       likely Swazi Radio relaying R.Cidade from Mozambique, 23/10, 2330
1385.9  Guinea, R. Rurale, Labé, talk in French, 22/10, 2040
1386  Kenya, English news, 22/10, 0315
1458  Mayotte (presumed) RFO, few seconds in French, 23/10, 2350
1484.54  Angola, Radio Kuanza-Sul, IDs with echo, announcing 99.7 FM and
1485 onda media; at 2300 national news from Luanda, 21/10, 2215
1485  Ascension Island, BBC World Service, 21/10, 0115

ASIA
1233  TWR Cyprus (presumed), Arabic, 22/10, 2125
1404  UNID Koran, strong, Iran?, 23/10, 0015
1413  BBC Oman, Hindi, 22/10, 0120
1476  Dubai, UAE  //13675, 23/10, 2035
1494  Jordan, Arabic //9830, 23/10, 2135
1521  Saudi Arabia, 22/10, 1940
1521  Saudi Arabia, fade in, well before local sunset, 22/10, 1930
1548  Kuwait, VOA, in Arabic, 22/10, 2015
1566  India, AIR Nagpur // 4920 with woman reading news. Whispers on
1071, too,under a strong carrier, 24/10, 0030

EUROPE
 684  Spain, Sevilla  strong, classical music, 23/10, 0000
 846  Italy, RAI Rome, 22/10, 0255
 855  Spain, RNE synchros, 23/10, 0000
 873  Spain, SER synchros, 23/10, 0145
 882  Spain & Canary Is., COPE synchros with QRM from (presumed)
       Sabadell, in Catalan, 23/10, 0145
 945  France, Bleu Toulouse //1206//1377, 22/10, 2145
 954  Spain, Madrid, 22/10, 2140
1044  Spain, SER, QRM from Morocco, 22/10, 2135
1089  England, TalkSport, synchros?, 22/10, 2130
1179  Sweden, in English, 22/10, 2155
1179  Spain, SER synchros, 22/10, 0325
1188  Hungary, R. Free Europe relaying VOA sports, ID at 0230 as Radio
       Svoboda, 22/10, 0220
1206  France, Bleu Bordeaux, mx //1377, 22/10, 0250
1295.96  Spain, Valencia COPE synchros, phone calls, 21/10, 0135
1314  Norway, early fade-in, 22/10, 2010
1377  France, Bleu Lille, 21/10, 0150
1557  France, Bleu Nice, 22/10, 0210
1602  Spain, Vitoria mixed with SER synchros, 21/10, 0105