[HCDX] Re: [SWL] Radio Telefis Eireann (Dublin, Ireland) 21630 at 1830 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Tomas Hood - NW7US wrote:

> RTE (Radio Telefis Eireann) is the Irish National Public Service
> Broadcasting Organisation - I am hearing them at 21630 at 1851 UTC,
> SINPO 35533.  Talk / Commentary / Documentary

Just in case you or others reading this logging are keeping track of
transmitter sites or radio countries, I don't think this is directly from
Ireland.  Ireland has not had official shortwave broadcasts from its own
soil for decades, although there are many pirate shortwave broadcasts
from there.  RTE has had relays on shortwave, though, for a few years
from transmitters in other countries.

If I am looking at the current HFCC database correctly, this is a
relay from Ascension Island.

Also, I just checked the RTE website at:

http://www.rte.ie/radio/worldwide.html#shortwave

This is where they have their schedule of shortwave relays.
They have a half-hour news broadcast to Africa from 1830-1900
on 21630.  Ascension Island is a site where many SW relay broadcasts
to Africa originate, so I'd guess that you heard the program to
Africa via Ascension.

73--
Marie Lamb