[HCDX] Logs from March 7, 2001

Hello !

Here are my Pan-American logs from the evening of March 7, 2001. It was
a poor night for Latin American DX, except for Cuba wich really blew me
away. The con-
ditions to Cuba were VERRY GOOD. It was one of the best cuban evenings
here
in my QTH, near Montreal. I have even meneged to log a new one, it was
CMOA from Isla Juventu on 630 kHz with a fair and steady signal, wich
fades occasionnally from fair to good, or from fair to poor, but it`s
still fair during most of the evening, usually over the CHLT/WPRO/WSKN
mess, in CFCO null, but sometimes for a
couple of minutes, it did fade also under the mess. Now into my logs:

DX-er: Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
QTH: Pierrefonds, Quebec, Canada
Equipment: AM/FM radio with tape recorder and CD player with a relativly
long
                  internal ferrite bar antenna and with decent
sensitivity/selectivity

        Logs for Wensday March 7, 2001

530 RVC Radio Visíon Cristiana Internacíonal (South Caicos, Turks and
Caicos)
       fair signal, with a preacher in spanish
570 CMEA Radio Reloj (Pilon, Cuba)
       verry good with no sign of WMCA, news in SS with morse code RR at
each
       minute, never heard with this signal strenght and
interferences-free signal before
600 CMKV Radio Rebelde (Urbano Norris, Cuba)
       poor-to-occasionnally-fair, usually over WICC-Bridgeport
610 HJ?? Radiodiffusora Nacíonal de Colombia (Urbia, Colombia)
       good, way over WIP for 5 or maybe 6 minutes and then gone
630 CMOA Radio Progreso (Isla Juventu, Cuba)
       fair signal during most of the evening, new log for me,
//CMBC-640 and
       CMDZ-890. Usually 630 is dominated by WPRO and CHLT during the
       evening at my home and occasionnally by WSKN from Puerto Rico,
but I`ve
       never heard Cuba here, until the last Wensday. The show "El
Ritmo".
640 CMBC Radio Progreso (Guanabacoa, Cuba)
       fair-to-good-to-verry good-to excellent during the evening with
the show "El
       Ritmo"
640 YVQO Union Radio (Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela) breifly heard in the
back-
       ground of Cuba with SS news-talk by telephone by a male. Fair
signal in the
       back-ground of CMBC
670 CMQ Radio Rebelde (Arroyo Arrenas, Cuba) briefly heard the last
evening
       with a poor-to-fair signal and some slops from local-690 CINF.
760 HJAJ RCN (Barranquilla, Colombia) usually poor signal during most of
the
       Wensday evening with the sports show "La Copa de Todorte".
890 CMDZ Radio Progreso (Chambas, Cuba) good signal during most of the
       evening with //CMOA-630 and CMBC-640, note in passing that the
correct
       QTH is Chambas and not Santiago de Cuba

I hope that every DX-ers in my area have enjoyed this exceptionnally
nice cuban opening.
Now I have a few questions for you:
What is the power of the CMOA, Radio Progreso outlet in Isla Juventu on
630 kHz ? Is
it a low-powered or a high-powered outlet ?
Did my logs will appear in AM-DX News Flash ? I hope so, it`s the first
time that I contribue
to the AM-DX News Flash.
I have heard several times around 600 and on 710 and several others,
some political speechs
like on 710 wich for over 20 minutes was heard over WOR with talk about
the Fidel Castro
visit to Venezuela. This outlets were of course, Radio Rebelde. I have
heard several outlets
of the Radio Rebelde netowrk and all have a lot of programming with
Fidel Castro monologues.
My question is, does other cubans carries the Fidel Castro monologues on
the air. Did Fidel
Castro have been ever a DJ at Radio Rebelde ? It`s look so for my own
listening ! If anyone
have more information about Fidel Castro on Radio Rebelde and about the
Fidel Castro travel
to Venezuela wich aired on the 710 kHz outlet wich I have heard a few
above 20 minutes of it,
before it`s gones under WOR with 2 tropical cuban songs between 2
tele-talk by males about his
venezuelan visit, please let me know. In fact the 710 station is my
first Latin American ever logged
since I begun DX-ing the AM band in October last year. I have heard them
over WOR with sports.
The first unidentified LAm wich is still unidentified is 1600. I suppose
WLUZ from Puerto Rico, but
I`m not sure. There is too much QRM from co-channel WWRL (in New York)
to hear them longer
than 2 or 3 minutes over WWRL wich is not enough for an ID. I suspect
even a domestic spanish, as
well as 2 ecuadorians, but I`m not sure at all.

I hope that my logs and my comments will appear in both AM-DX News Flash
and Hard-Core-DX.

That`s it for now !
73 and good DX !
Bogdan