[HCDX] Sporadic-E logs

                        Sporadic E TV/FM report ? Saturday, June 14, 2001

Hello all !

There was a great E-skip opening to Montreal area the last Saturday. I think this opening
was connected to a powerfull Thunderstorm that was in progress at that time. Before that
Thunderstorm, it was very, very HOT. Local Montreal radio stations, such as CINF Infos
690 and CKOI, both reported 36 degrees !!!! 36 degrees, and with the humidity factor, it
was 42. I assume, this extremely unusual hot front, combined with a colder front, created
this powerfull Thunderstorm that have produced the ionization of the E-layer for over an
hour. So, thanks to these amazing weather conditions, I had a good time DX-ing the TV and
the FM bands. Here is what I have seen/heard:

TV:

Channel 3: KTVO Kirksville, Missouri ? ABC program : between the commercial ads
                  and the news items, I have seen the KTVO ABC 3 logo displayed on the
                  screen at poor-fair levels with heavy fades.

Magnasonic TV set with a VHF-UHF rabbit-ears antenna

FM:

92.1 - unID, Savage Garden-like pop vocals, fair with fades
92.9 - WTUG Tuscaloosa, Alabama ? IDs as ?92.9 WTUG? and ?Classic Old School
           and Today` s News about R&B?, heard in null of semi-local WEZF with fades
           from fair to EXCELLENT.
92.9 ? unID, slogan heard ?classic rock and country? with heavy QRM from WTUG,
           in WEZF null. Also heard with a local weather forecast amongst huge `TUG
           QRM
92.9 ? unID, a couple of minutes before the sporadic-E event was over, the Es clouds
           changed direction, WTUG have fades-out, and someone else have surfaced with
           call-letters mention, several commercial ads, and Britney Spears ?Baby One
           More?. The signal was poor, and I have not been able to clearly understand the

           Call-letters mention. Something like KMMX, KMN, KNM, KAME-FM... Also,
           As the signal was weaker than the consistent WTUG one, it was obviously more
           difficult to maintain a null on semi-local WEZF.
93.1 - unID, Fading up for 1 minute, with 80`s soft-rock song ?You can go wow, wow !
           on a lucky night?
93.3 ? KIOA, ?Oldies 93 3? Des Moines, Iowa ? with Request-Line px. Fairly good
           and the steadiest signal during the opening. Not fades ditected !!!!!!!
93.9 ? WLLK, Somerset, Kentucky very strong signal, the strongest signal during the
           opening, but also full of fades. Sometimes very poor, but sometimes excellent.

           IDds : ?the best variety gates of the 80`s 90`s and today, 93.9? and ?This
is...,
           This is the best variety of the 80`s 90`s and today, 93.9 WLLK?. Listed as on
           102.3, but could obviously have moved to 93.9 and the Internet listings may
not
            be up-to-date.

Sanyo AM/FM portable receiver with directional telescopic antenna