Re: [HCDX] Mail to India

Indian mail services are somewhat unreliable.
My friend was working in India a couple of years
ago.  She subscribed a Finnish weekly magazine
(Suomen Kuvalehti) to India to get info about events
in Finland.  Her estimation was that every second
issue arrived in India.
The University of Tampere library has about same
experiences.  When they subscribed for Indian quarterly
journals they had to ask every year the publisher for
missing 1-2 issues.  Some publishers replied and
complained about Indian mail services.
As dx'er I wouldn't send cassettes to India, or
letters with "too" beautiful stamps.  An ordinary
looking letter might be the best solution.
Or send the station two reports: one with cassette
& other stuff, another with report & letter only.
IRC's are almost useless in India, I think so.
If stations there QSL or not, it is not question of
money.  First they must receive the report, they they
must decide who replies.  In AIR they have a funny
system that reports sent to local stations are
sometimes forwarded to AIR main office in Delhi.
But not always, some stations reply directly...
Possibly they must have a long negotiation at the
station before they can decide.
I have never received e-mail QSL's from India.
Has anyone else?  AIR has a nice website at
	http://air.kode.net/

Jorma Mantyla
Kangasala, Finland
http://www.kaapeli.fi/~jmantyla/

PS. Here are some of my AIR QSL's, I have been listening
to India more than 30 years, now some 75 QSL's...