and then down the branch  and straight to the ground to a termination
point.
   I was disappointed with the results at first. I had forgotten that
75% or more of the DX effect along the Oregon coast has to do with a
good ground. The wire is important, but putting in lots of grounding at
the termination point and also at the matching transformer makes all the
difference in the world.
   I now have 4 ground rods at both places connected together with bare
#14 copper wire. The nulls have improved alot, but they are not the same
as before. I now get a null, fairly sharp when adjusting the 5K ohm pot
to the SE (Portland OR stations). The oldnull to the NE (Seattle WA
stations) is not nearly as sharp as before. This is during the day when
you can get groundwave conditions with no fading.
    Since I am off maybe 10 degrees from my old EWE and the wire angle
is a bit difference and is also 10-15 longer than before, I guess
getting the same results would not be possible.
   The antenna has been OK as I am hearing several Hawaiians, Tahiti, &
Tonga on the antenna. I guess if the wire has a certain null to the SE
or NE,  does not matter with DX to the Pacific.
   The other EWE I was so used to, that getting used to a new one is a
bit hard.
At least the EWE works!

73s,

Patrick Martin