[HCDX] EWE Antenna

Hi All:

>From the advice of Nick Hall-Patch and Chuck Boehnke, I tryed a
counterpoise under the EWE antenna, connected from the one set (4 ) of
Ground rods to the other. I had to bury about a third of the wire as it
runs across the backyard.
The results? Unbelieveable! The poor null toward the NE is not a problem
anymore. I went over to 820 kHz, where all I was getting at the best (at
the lowest) was S7 from KGNW-820-50KW-Seattle. My old EWE would knock
them down to nothing. Well with the counterpoise, I can do that once
again. The nulls are great on the bottom part of the band, below 900
khz, fair 1200 to 900 and  poor above 1200 for some reason. It will be
interesting to see how this works now at night. The main lobe is S
during the day. I can't tell how it is to the Pacific until tonight, but
it looks good. The antenna seems to be shaper than my old EWE in some
ways, as Portland (SE) is still poor where my old one wasn't. I don't
know if that will affect the SW/NW signals. Not much from Japan this
time of year, so I will have to wait on that. I just wonder if I should
add a Ground rod every 10-20 feet along the counterpoise, I wonder if
that would make any difference. Anyone ever try that?

73s,

Patrick Martin
Seaside  OR
KAVT Reception Manager