[HCDX] European DX report.

During the period June 23rd to July 20th, my family had the good fortune of spending an extended European vacation in France. For most of the time, we were in Andlau, a town of 1250 people in the Alsace area, south of Strasbourg. Travelling very light, I still managed to pack my Sony 1000T, a Kiwa pocket loop, and about 10 meters of wire with an alligator clip. Though no where close to a DX machine, the little 1000T nonetheless proved itself to be a capable little machine. I have several hours of tapes to convert to MD. I'm going to share the most interesting catches with you. The difference in signal strengths between west coast North America and Europe is quite astounding. Many of the international broadcasters were well heard with only the whip, a rare occurence on the west coast! One of the most enjoyable aspects was listening to the many hobby pirates on the 48 meter band. One Saturday evening the segment from 6200 to 6400 seemed virtually full of hobby pirates, though I later realized that some of the signals resulted from receiver images 910 Khz above in the 41 meter band. Another big difference was the difficulty in hearing anything from the Pacific. Apart from R Australia, didn't hear much else. Africans were easy catches, especially in the early evening starting around 1800. The Americas were'nt well heard except after midnight local, usually past my bedtime! I give top marks to the Kiwa pocket loop. It really enhanced receivability. Upto now I've rarely used it in North America and was considering selling it, but after this experience, I think I'll keep it. While in Paris last week, I had the honour of meeting well know clandestine DXer John Campbell. Enjoyed a drink at a cafe before watching the fireworks over the Eiffel Tower on Bastille Day.

CONGO 4765 Radio Congo, easily the strongest African on 60 meters. First heard 24 June at 2126 with EZL music, seemingly overmodulated slightly. Heard here until 27 June when switched to 5985. At 1926, reception was very good. Following day, signed on at 1900 without any IS or ID. On 29 June, heard in English until 1943, then a Spanish ID, but then into French. Poorly modulated that day. On 6 July, English started at scheduled 1930, but modulation was so bad that it was difficult to make out what the announcers were saying. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

SYRIA 12085 Radio Damascus heard with English broadcast 24 June in English with buzzy signal and low modulation. Cochannel over Voice of Mongolia clearly heard underneath at 2128. Nothing heard on 13610. On 26 June, however, both frequencies were on at 2021. Other days only 13610 heard, so frequency usage is quite variable. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

EQUATORIAL GUINEA 6249.3 (approx) presumed Malabo with poor signal at 2130 24 June. Had to use LSB to avoid a heavy ute. A far cry from the great signal from Radio Bata 5003 (approx) at 2100 with sudden sign-off on 25 June. Following day a lovely signal at 19:27. Full ID in Spanish at 19:34 also including frequency. Same canned ID at 2042:30 as Radio Nacional Guinea Equatorial, Radio Bata. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

LIBERIA 4760 ELWA heard 24 June at 2130 with American preaching in English. Disappointing signal. Not much better than reception in BC. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

ITALY 3985 IRRS, as expected always heard with great strength. Heard at 2158 on 24 June announcing, "This is I Double R S. You may now retune to 7120. From south of the Alps in northern Italy, this is I Double R S Nexus". Very good. 7120 signed off following a lengthy announcement with phone numbers, fax, Italian NA, and final announcent at 0655. Generally programming is uninteresting consisting of American religous broadcasters.
AWR Forli, heard at 0655 on 9610 with AWR ID good reception. Still heard at 0900 with ID as AWR Forli. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

IRAN 13745 VOIRI in English at 2203 with Koran recitation, followed by news and views at 2206. Very good on 24 June. On 8 July heard in English at 1937 into a newscast. All frequecies excellent including 9022, 11670, 13730.
Radio Shalom's program was monitored from 6 July for about 5 days between 1900 and 1927. 7175 was always under a strong cochannel, but 9745 was in the clear. I never heard any speech, only continuous middle eastern music. Always off at 1927. Never heard any IS, NA or IDs, so this is a presumed logging. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

YEMEN 9780 (approx) Radio Sana'a was a very enjoyable station to monitor. Signals were always strong and well modulated. Heard 24 June at 2130 with excellent reception in Arabic. Heard 11 July at 1830 with "The time in Sana'a is 9:30. The news presented by,...." Music followed, usually a western tune followed by a middle eastern song. Regularly checked their previously listed English program between 0600 and 0700 but never heard a peep, so I question whether this really exists. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

CYPRUS 9760, 7205, and 6180. All 3 freq superbly heard with Cyprus BC in Greek at 2215 on 24 June. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

POLAND I spent a sizeable amount of time listening to Radio Polonia's English broadcast, especially during Pope John-Paul II's papal visit to Ukraine. Clearly Radio Polonia's transmitters have seen better days. At best reception was good, but often much worse. Most of the transmitters suffer from a very distinctive warble, and low modulation. First heard at 1200 in English on 25 June on 9525 and 7270, both good, while 6095 is only fair, and 11820 is under cochannel. At 1700 on 26 June, heard them in English on 7285 (good), and 5985 (fair). At 2000 they were heard on 9540 (very good), 7265 and 7165 both fair. Radio Polonia is hardly ever heard on the west coast of North America. Years ago they used to have a North American service, but they need an upgrade in equipment! Too bad, as their programs were interesting. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

LITHUANIA 9710 Radio Vilnius heard 26 June, going directly into English at 0929 without IS. Excellent signal. Seems to be the same program heard in North America. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

VATICAN CITY 5885 Excellent reception at 16:18 with a news program. Not at all religous in nature, so I didn't know who I was listening to until they ID's later.
4005 heard in English at 1953 on 29 June. Very good. Seems to be USB with suppressed carrier. Until 2009, when into Spanish. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

ZANZIBAR 11734 Radio Tanzania Zanzibar heard with excellent reception in Swahili at 1718. Heard 26 June. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

RUSSIA 6125 Listened regularly to the program Radio Radonezh, the Russian Orthodox station broadcasting from Samara to Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus and western Europe. Programming consists occasionally with call ins, and other times soft spoken preaching by a R.O. priest. First heard on 26 June at 1725. Usually suffers from some adjacent splatter, with signal strength 3 to 4 (out of 5). Heard signing on at 1700 on 8 July with well known orthodox hymn, which is, if I recall the same as the beginning of the War of 1812 overture (??) by Tchaikowsky (??). Off at 1900.
Radio Studio from St Petersburg on 7370 was heard regularly with also frequent adjacent splatter, but strength good+. Numerous IDs at 1806, including in English. Russian rap music at 1855. Sign-off announcements at 2027, including a Radio Gardarika ID. Transmitter off at 2030. First heard 26 June. Signed on at 1800, with ID loop until 1807, "Radio Studio, Sankt Petersburg....7370 in the 41 meter frequency range....Broadcasting house Gardarika". (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

UN Radio 15265 via Wofferton at 1729 with the World Today, a weekday program in English. Fair with 2 other cochannels. Parallel 17580 via Ascension Is is heard at good level, until 1745. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

EUROPIRATE 9290 Mike Radio heard at 19:38 on 26 June with ongoing pop music. Good reception. ID as "This is Mike Radio with golden oldies from the Netherlands. Remember Mike Radio." Very good at 2055. On 30 June, heard at 2006 with frequent transmitter breaks. Same song over and over, then dead air. At 2057, "from the Netherlands, this is Mike Radio International. Good evening. West Europe is calling." Gave ID and phone number (0031615560932)/
6305 Radio Black Arrow on 30 June at 2136, fair to good with static crashes. Multilingual ID, followed by "Holland" and "bye-bye", and not being sure whether he'll be on next week or not. Off at 21:43, but then briefly on again, with the "Ghosting Hour".
5805 Radio Free London heard at 2150 with rock music. Fair to good. ID at 2224, with phone number of 4407930113430 by YL. Nice ID again at 2254 followed by the Beatles, "all you need is love". 30 June.
6276 Unid at 2225, "Radio ??, where the action is". Fair. on 30 June. At 2322, heard ID for Swing Radio England. "Out of sight". DJ Dave Martin, mentioning 819 and 6275. email address as swingradioengland@xxxxxxxxxxxx
6220 Laser Hot Hits at 0042 on 1 July. Mentioned Rich D'Angelo, and Dave Valko. At 2217 on 30 June, full ID and gave Merlin, Ontario address. "24 hours per day". Fair at that time with deep fades. Parallel 3935 heard weakly at 0042. Also mentioned tapes available for 2 pounds per show.
6305 Tower Radio, Holland. Nice ID at 0633 on 1 July in Dutch/English. No other Europirate on at this time.
6280 Alfa Lima International at 0620 on 8 July, with ID as "This is Alfa Lima International from the Netherlands". Much less activity this weekend, as most pirates were at there get together in Belgium! Good reception. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

USA 10869 DSB. Communications World from the VOA Greenville site, heard at 0700 7 July with very good reception. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

SAUDI ARABIA 21600 At 1400 5 + 1 time pips, then full ID in French for the BSKSA, mentioning broadcasting to West Africa and Senegal. Good reception, but suffers from adjacent splatter. Always off just before 1600. Never did hear any English after 1600. First heard at 7 July. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

UK? 7235 Everest Radio heard with Tibetan programming between 2030 and sign-off at 2129. Many ads in English for UK businesses, such as Hastings Appliances, Zero Print London, and the London School of Management. Always very good reception. First heard 26 June. On 30 June, Indian subcontinent music already on at 2028, then cuts into a fanfare for 30 seconds, then back to the Indian music, followed by Nepali ID, with "Nepali" heard clearly several times, as well as "Everest Radio".
15475 At 1925, 11 July, looking for Antarctica, stumbled on Salama Radio. Neat to read loggings of others, including my good friend Don Nelson, in Oregon, who around the same time, was doing the same as I, ....ie looking for Antarctica! Half way round the world!. Superb reception. The address as I copied was as follows: PO Box 126, Kensington, Surrey K29 2WJ, or PO Box 287, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria. Mentioned 11850 (sic) from the international shortwave station in Britain, the United Kingdom. Nothing heard there, however. Said they started on the 6 July. This program sounded very similar to the Nigerian clandestine programs from a few years back. Very similar style, and perhaps the same announcers as well. Heard them again the next day signing on on 1900, with sign-on music until 1902:45, then "Welcome to Salama Radio".

VIETNAM 9730 Voice of Vietnam in English 27 June with listener's letterbox program, commenting especially about good reception in Europe. Noted that 9730 was via Russia, while 13740 was direct (fair reception). Heard at 1821. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

SRI LANKA 6010 Heard 7 July in English at 1944 with good reception, and ID in English as the European service of the Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation. Harold Fernando announcer. Superb reception at sign-off. Tune in next Saturday for our weekly program from 1900 to 2000 hours. I don't remember when I last saw this one reported. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

GERMANY 6015 Radio Sunshine signing on on 8 July at 1000 in German. Very good reception. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).
9980 Eurosonor Radio. At 1558 on 8 July continuos tone. At 1601, IS, then English and German ID. Another IS, then the ID in German, English and Spanish. "Hier ist Eurosonor Radio". Into German programming. Excellent reception. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

AUSTRALIA 21680 Christian Voice, Darwin at 0655 13 July with C.V. International ID. Fair with British accented programming. (Salmaniw, Andlau France).

That's it for now. I hope these loggings will be of some interest to you. Sorry, I didn't have internet access to report the loggings sooner.........Walt.