[HCDX] 4960

Hi,

slightly better conditions on the tropical bands during the last night. But QRN from the never-ending caravan of summer thunderstroms, simply makes me lose the patience. On 4960 July 23 an unid with mx att 2330, and no chance of id or report. I got back there  July 24, at 0012, and heard a military march before sign/off at 0015. An idea, anyone ? QSA 1-2 so not very much to bite into...

Björn Fransson (Baltic islander and others have reported a BBC WS newscast in the morning on 4900 kHz. Well it has been heard here too. Have I  missed the solution to this small mystery ?

The K9YA is working as it should, at least on most MW signals,   and better under 1000 kH as xcepted. But  It was quite a while since the local lowpowered UK stations were heard so well on 1602, 1584, 1566, 1485,1458, 1449, 1413 and others,  in broad daylight in July , around 11 UT. So the amplifier  is worth its money, and direction finding can probably be impoved by some adjustmenst of the loops.  One very good
example is 612, where you can either hear at night Sarajevo with e.g. nice music by Vivaldo, you make an antenna switch and have  equally  nice Irish pub songs from RTE Hitradio 2,   neither of them disturbing each other. Im a sure these examples will manifold in the process, at least I hope so.

I have used the alternative installation scheme (rectangles - not triangles). The reason is simple - you realize you are not 20 of age any more, and that a repair work 8 meters up in some half-rotten flagpole might end up in an unwanted fall and a deep cut into the budget of local health authorities. We wouldn't have that, would we ?

There will be more trials (and errors) before I know a little more about the K9AY, and as the the knowledge
is getting  consolidated and and documented, HCDX will of course get as much first-hand news I have.
I think though, that most previous owners of the antenna could learn me more, that I can teach them.

GOOD DX-ing to everybody -  what you have on 4960 (it was NOT the VoA) or 4900 could fine to know.

73

Johan Berglund
Vabacksvägen 10
S-461 91  Trollhättan, Sweden  +46 520 96137