[HCDX] Voice of Biafra International

Olá! / Hello from Portugal!

In response to Björn Fransson's question about the Voice of Biafra International's postal address, I heard them announce the following address for listeners' mail at the end of their first broadcast on 1st September:

733  15th Street NW, 3700 Washington DC 20005, USA.

Judging from the Russian interval signals I heard as part of the same transmission on 12120 kHz just before and after the Voice of Biafra International programme at UTC 1859 and 1959, the transmitter is most probably located in Russia or one of the former Soviet republics. Besides English I heard Voice of Biafra International programming towards the end of the broadcast in an African language, probably Igbo.

Reception here in Portugal varied between SINPO 43443 - 42432 with some utility QRM, but generally Voice of Biafra International's signal was easily readable.

Note: the Biafra national anthem that was played in the first minutes of the inaugural broadcast is none other than the famous Finnish composer Jean Sibelius' classical masterpiece "Finlandia"!!! I wonder what made the Biafrans choose a Finnish composition as their national anthem back in the 1960's...

73 de Mika Palo (formerly Finland - nowadays QTH Tomar, Portugal)
mikapalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx