[HCDX] DX session at Rowley, MA (brief commentary)

[HCDX] DX session at Rowley, MA (brief commentary)

After-Work DX Session - Rowley, MA
Mark Connelly - Thursday, 6 SEP 2001

The weather was perfect and, with sunset about an hour earlier than in early
summer, it seemed a good idea to head out to the coastal salt-marsh in
Rowley for a few hours of DXing from the car.

I arrived at the Stackyard Road site just after 6 p.m. EDT (2200 UTC) and
set up the usual rooftop broadband loop and active whip cardioid array to my
phasing unit and Drake R8A receiver.

I found Transatlantic medium wave DX in abundance even though it was well
before sundown.  Not surprisingly, the best early signal was Saudi Arabia -
1521.  Some of the stations from France, Spain, Algeria, and Morocco were
good right out of the starting gate as well.

As it got darker, many strong medium wave signals emerged from all over
western Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.  The Greeks on 981 and
1512 were among the better catches.  I also spent a bit of time on longwave:
many huge broadcast signals were noted there.  Results will be presented in
loggings to be issued soon.

By 9 p.m. EDT, I was getting ready to end the very satisfactory DX session
as a big orange moon rose over the salt-marsh.