[HCDX] Kenwood R-1000 vs Drake R-8

I have been doing a bit of DXing with the Kenwood R-1000 the past couple
of mornings with the TPs coming in. I have found in the AM mode,
anything the R8 hears the R-1000 hears just as well, maybe a bit better
at times.
  I made several of the Mods on the R-1000 so I can use the Mautra 2.7
khz filter in AM. Does anyone know what the shape factor of the 2.3 khz
filter in the R8 is compared to the 2.7 in the Kenwood R-1000? It would
be interesting to compare the two. They seem pretty close, except the
2.7 on the Kenwood is not quite as mufled. I don't think the .4 khz
difference would make that much difference.

At first I did not think the R-1000 did as good of a job as the R-8. But
I had used the R-8 for so long I did not check out the R-1000 all that
much. I find if you tune about a 1 khz off, per the digital readout on
the R-1000, the signal is there pretty decent. I found JOOR-1179 holds
it's own next to 1180 very nicely in the mornings. I guess if you split
the 2.7 khz in the middle you would have 1.35 khz on each side which is
close enough to the 1 khz spacing.

Anyway, the R-1000 makes a good back up receiver for the R8. If I could
make one change to the R-1000 I would add Passband tuning, but that
would not be easy.

73s,

Patrick Martin
Seaside  OR