[HCDX] QSL by proxy

In 1975, visiting Ecuador, I felt like doing a good service to
some 20 people around the world by sending them a QSL
and some goodies (pocket diaries and wall calendars)
from R Nacional Espejo, which at that
time was not what you would call a very good verifier. I had
earlier been to the station, in 1966 and 1973, and so I was
at least not a stranger to the station manager and owner,
Sr. Gerardo Brborich. On this occasion, Sr. Brborich all of
a sudden opened a drawer, bulging with reports, perhaps 200
or so, and told me to pick out "the 25 best reports" and see
to it that they received a verie letter and a souvenir.
"For the postage costs, please avail yourself
of these coupons, as I cannot redeem them in Ecuador," he
said. And so I picked out the "25 best reports" and
filled out a f/d form letter signed by Sr. Brborich, wherein
he attests to the correctness of the report.
I recall that the QSLs were sent out to many different countries,
and as far as I can remember no one ever complained.
On the contrary, all was sheer happiness.  The manager´s
signature was on a sheet of paper, but the "verification
procedure" was, in fact, conducted by someone else.

Actually, after my third call at Esmeralda 865, in Quito,
R Nacional Espejo started to send out QSLs on their own,
but that is a different story.

Henrik Klemetz