[HCDX] RADIO EMISSIONS

This is very much 'off topic'.....I mean this is no  RADIO TAMPICO VERI
IN THE MAIL TODAY type question BUT I figure one of you
'radio-electrical type wizz's ' migh shed some light on his vexing
situation.
Here goes........ Today while I was placing a used TV in the basement,
and hooking up a 'rabbit ear' type antenna to increase the already
really crappy signal and picture I was getting......anyways I switched
for kicks the setting on the TV  from TV to CATV.....and voila....the
picture improved. And improved so much I was getting cable channels all
over the VHF and UHF band.....I must add that there is a cable from the
local cable company hanging ( from a defunct old service we once used )
right next to the rabbit ears...in fact when I wrapped the rabbit ears
around the cable the signal got better. Now I have hooked up cable lines
in the past and recieved cable signals.....BUT that was a direct hook
up. Are there 'spurious signals' that are being emitted from the cable
wire  and thus able to be 'received' by my TV's rabbit ears ?

And we have Cable and even satellite in several upstairs rooms.....are
there all sorts of signals being emitted from my various cables all over
the house ? And what if any is this doing to my Outside longwire and NRD
525 and maybe that's what I need my MFJ 1026.......and all sorts of QRM
and RFI and now eeven CABLE SIGNALS ?

A simple not so technical answer would be appreaciated.....thanks
Tom -River Falls Wi.