[HCDX] DX Listening Digest 1-176: R.V. of Afghanistan

[HCDX] DX Listening Digest 1-176: R.V. of Afghanistan

DX LISTENING DIGEST 1-176, November 20, 2001 edited by Glenn Hauser, wghauser@xxxxxxxxxxx

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only if full
credit be maintained at all stages and we be provided exchange
copies. DXLD may not be reposted in its entirety without permission.
For restrixions and searchable 2001, 2000 contents archive see}

http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Dxldmid.html

[NOTE: If you are a regular reader of DXLD, and a source of DX news
but have not been sending it directly to us, please consider yourself
obligated to do so. Thanks, Glenn]

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. Hi Glenn! My name is Adolfo Murrieta González
and I'm writing to you from Guanajuato, Mexico. I have listened to
Radio Netherland since 1988, so I know you from several years ago.

Since Saturday 17th. I have listened to "Radio Sharia Afganistan"
from 1330 to 1430 UT at 9950 kHz with a SINPO code of 4-4-3-4-4 using
a directional antenna. I don't understand the language, but I think
is a Pashto Broadcasting transmitting from Kabul, Afghanistan. Glenn,
I want that you confirm me this DX. And do you know where could I
send out my reception report to? Because I would like to get this
QSL-card. Well, That's all for now, Thank you and 73! (Adolfo
Murrieta G., Mexico, Nov 19, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Tnx for a VERY interesting report. No such station is listed or has
been reported elsewhere as far as I know. I`ll see what I can hear
tomorrow. It seems doubtful, however, that a `Sharia` station could
be broadcasting from Afghanistan now, especially Kabul, since the
Taleban are in retreat and had their facilities bombed more than a
month ago.

Can you supply any further details on what you heard, or possibly a
recorded clip of the ID? The Kabul station, no longer Taleban
controlled, is reported to be planning a return to shortwave. If this
is it, the frequency was not previously used. 73, Glenn to Adolfo

FWIW, this is the only 9950 entry in HFCC B-01:
9950 1600 1800 28 ABS 250 325 1234567 281001 310302 D EGY ERU
PWBR ``2002`` has EGYPT and INDIA on 9950 at other times

So we were monitoring 9950 starting at 1326 UT November 20. Open
carrier was already on. Rolled a tape for the entire hour. Times
approximate: 1329:30 brief tone test. 1330 Opening mentioning
Afghanistan frequently, Qur`an; 1334 ID as ``Sauti Afghanistan ---``.
There were frequent musical interludes or backgrounds. 1339 an
apparent poem declaimed with great drama, ``Watanah Drawn Watanah``,
something about the Fatherland; 1341 ID as ``Afghanistan --- Radio``.

1345 may have switched languages, ID as ``Radio Seday-e
Afghanistan``, which would be Dari, surely meaning RADIO VOICE OF
AFGHANISTAN, giving frequencies in kHz (Unfortunately I haven`t yet
learnt to count in Dari); 1355 switched to Pashtu, I think; 1359
``Radio Seday-e Afghanistan`` ID again with frequencies, and
mentioned address, telephone, fax numbers. I could not recognize
anything in the address. 1400 sharp, apparently another language
switch, ID as ``De Afghanistan --- Radio``. 1408, the ``Watanah Drawn
Watanah`` poem again. 1412 announcement mentioning ``Radio ---
Afghanistan``. 1415 ID again like at 1400; 1424 the ``Watanah`` poem
yet again. 1427 closing announcement with kHz; 1429 to brief open
carrier and off.

Reception was very good, even on the breakfast table DX-390 and
nothing but its whip. There was minor QRM from WRMI-9955, which
increased slightly toward the end as VOA was fading down a bit.
Modulation, precision and production were of high standard, as was
the signal strength, and I very seriously doubt this could have been
transmitted directly from Afghanistan. More likely, *to* Afghanistan.

As far as I know, there have been no previous reports of this in the
DX or mainstream press, nor by BBC Monitoring, though there were
certainly plans for the Northern Alliance to start up such a station,
originally from areas it controlled north of Kabul. My guess is that
this is transmitted from IBB or CIS facilities, but studios where?

There were also plans for a US-sponsored Radio *Free* Afghanistan,
presumably from RFE/RL HQ in Prague. Possibly this is it, as RFE/RL
were reported to be ready to start at a moment`s notice. However, the
word ``Azad`` was never heard in the IDs. Since Afghanistan is
increasingly ``free`` of the Taleban, perhaps that word has been
considered unnecessary.

Nor did I ever hear the word ``Sharia`` during the broadcast, unlike
what Adolfo reported, so we may safely assume this station has
nothing to do with Taleban --- besides, music was prominently
included. Those who understand Pashtu and Dari could no doubt garner
more details from the announcements. We await reports from all other
monitors! (Glenn Hauser, OK, November 20, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

The following item from Adrian Peterson, may or may not relate to the
above! R. Afghanistan in Kabul was already reported back on the air
on MW, with plans for SW. The 7 pm local time does not match, as that
would be 1430 UT: (gh)

AFGHANISTAN. RADIO AFGHANISTAN RETURNS TO THE SHORTWAVE SCENE

This evening, NPR gave a report from Kabul in Afghanistan regarding
the re-activation of the radio station, indicating that the station
has returned to the SW scene. The NPR reporter was in Kabul, in the
studios of Radio Afghanistan. He stated that the station and its
facilities were previously operated by the Taliban as "Radio Shariah"
and the station name has been changed (reverted) to Radio
Afghanistan. There are now two women announcers on the air reading
the news, one in Dari and one in Pashto, I would imagine. They are
now broadcasting music, children's programs as well as sports
information. The station is operating at less than half capacity,
probably program-wise as well as power output. The man who is now the
manager of Radio Afghanistan was last week managing the small
Northern Alliance station in the Panjir Valley. He has retained the
previous Taliban staff, mainly due to the unavailability of
experienced staff.

It was also stated that SW is the best way to give coverage to all of
Afghanistan thus indicating that the station is again on the air SW.
The station is on the air daily beginning at 7:00 pm (local time).
The NPR reporter also played a cut from one of the announcers reading
the news as well as some traditional Afghan music now on the air from
this station. During the time I lived in Pakistan, I visited Kabul in
Afghanistan more times than I can count, and on many occasions I also
visited the studios and transmitter facilities of Radio Afghanistan.
Although the reporter did not specifically state where the studios
are located where he was making his report, it is clear to me from
the context of his information that he was in the building on the
road to the airport that has been the studio facility of Radio
Afghanistan for the past nearly 30 years. Greetings! (Adrian M.
Peterson, IN, Nov 19, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Here`s the link to the 5-minute NPR All Things Considered report,
which includes an opening ID as ``Radio Afghanistan, Kabul``, but we
never heard Kabul mentioned in the ID on 9950:

http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20011119.atc.02.ram

(Glenn Hauser, November 20, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###