[HCDX] Story from my local paper tonight

[HCDX] Story from my local paper tonight

Shortwave Listener and Webmaster for one of the UK's most respected radio hobby websites, Graham
Powell, from Cwmdare, received signals from more than a hundred countries on the 100th
anniversary of Guglielmo Marconi's historic wireless transmission.

On 12 December 1901, Marconi in Newfoundland, Canada, heard three short clicks, the Morse code
letter "s", which was transmitted from his spark transmitter in Cornwall in the UK, making the
first ever radio signal to cross the Atlantic.

To mark this centenary Graham, who runs several websites including the popular 'Online DX
Logbook' positively identified broadcast stations from a total of 112 countries on yesterdays
anniversary.

"It is the semi-local stations that make the most interesting listening" said a tied looking
Graham. "To hear the 100 countries in one day meant a full 24 hours of listening.  Each of the
stations had to be positively identified before they could be logged".

"I was treated to a very global experience; listening to beautiful Andean music from a station
in Peru; hearing the local funeral announcements in Kampala, Uganda; Quran readings from Dubai,
sports news from Australia; religious programming from Alaska and ballads from a station in
Antarctica".

"I ended up hearing a total of 112 positively identified countries on the day."

Details of Graham's exploits can be found at http://www.shortwave.org.uk

73's
Graham Powell