RE: [HCDX] UNID 15660

> But I have a new UNID one - this time Arabic on 15660 kHz,
> starting a couple
> og minutes before 17.00. Music from the Arabic region, at 17.30
> half an hour
> of Quran recitations, bells (sounding like BBC's Big Ben!) at 18.00 and a
> news bulletin. At 18.41 finally an ID, but I don't know Arabic
> too well, so
> I could hear just: "Idha'at Jumhuriya ... ... ..." Talked about
> Bengazi and
> Libya.

I don't know for sure what this is, but I do know what it isn't. Libya's
domestic service always refers to the country as the 'Jamahiriya' (a term
coined by Ghadaffi as an amalgam of jamaheer and jumhuriya), so it can't be
Tripoli. Off the top of my head, the only two Arab countries I know that use
Big Ben type chimes are Iraq and Egypt.The ID you heard could fit both of
them. Maybe that narrows it down a bit...

Andy Sennitt

Although I work for Radio Netherlands, I am participating here on an
individual basis. Opinions expressed are my own, and do not necessarily
reflect the official position of Radio Netherlands.

World Radio TV Handbook 2002 will be out soon!
You can get yours for $17.46 + shipping + possible tax in some states.
Please visit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823059332/hardcoredxcom
And while you buy it, you'll also support Hard-Core-DX. Thank you.

This space is for rent. Please contact staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more information.