[HCDX] A Few Notes from Saturday DX Activities

[HCDX] A Few Notes from Saturday DX Activities

I had a good time on Sat. 2 MAR with an
extensive set of daytime antenna tests
at E. Harwich, MA followed by a sunset
DX session near Duxbury Beach on my way
home.

Interesting at 1.05 p.m. EST (1805 UTC),
during the E. Harwich antenna tests, I
already had a het from Algeria-549 coming
in even though all domestic signals were
stable groundwave.

I have quite a bit of antenna test data
scribbled down that will eventually be
published on-line and in the DX press
as one or more feature articles.

When I got to the Powder Point Bridge at
Duxbury Beach shortly before 4 p.m. EST
(2100 UTC), Transatlantic signals were
already screaming in: Saudi Arabia - 1521,
France - 1206, Moroccans, Algerians, Spain,
and many others had local-like audio and
signals way over S9 with the sun still
shining brightly.  Soon the floodgates
were open and most split TA channels were
producing audio.  I had a few unID's
including non-English talk on 1089 beating
up UK for a while.  Possibly Albania, but
it sounded more like Portuguese and there
was no 1088 het, so maybe Angola moved here.
At times there was a monster blank carrier
over usual Spain on 648: it was getting
switched off and on ... could this be
Gambia setting up its new higher-powered
station ?  I filled up about 7 pages in
my logbook in 3 hours there in Duxbury
on my first DXpedition outing since my
"Marconi" outing in December 2001.  This
reaffirms my assertion that I can get more
DX in a few hours around sunset at the shore
than in several months of listening at home,
only about an hour's drive away.  This
despite better antennas at home.

A full report will be forthcoming sometime
this week.

73 / good DX ... Mark Connelly

World Radio TV Handbook 2002 will be out soon!
You can get yours for $17.46 + shipping + possible tax in some states.
Please visit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823059332/hardcoredxcom
And while you buy it, you'll also support Hard-Core-DX. Thank you.