From: ARouw@xxxxxxxxxxx (Aart Rouw)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 18:39:50 +0100
Subject: [HCDX] WFLA ?

Dear AM X-ers,
I just spent a week in Atlanta, Ga (USA) to attend an
internal course for
the company I work for. Apart from the work, I tried to scan
the MW band for
interesting AM stations.
Apart form the local powerhouses I found in the evening
hours a (weak)
station on 540 kHz that identified as "News radio 540,
WFLA". Local weather
was for Florida.  At first I was puzzled, as on 540 I only
have WFLF (Pine
Hills = Orlando, Fl) in my lists. Via the Internet I found
that in fact
there are at least two WFLA's in Florida (maybe even more).
Apart from the
true WFLA in Tampa (970 kHz) apparently the same company
owning this station
also operates other stations under the same "brand name",
including WFLF on
540.
This is confusing. Therefore my questions :
1. Is the program on 540 the same as on 970 ? (apparently
the ID is not). As
970 was occupied by a strong local signal I could not check
this.
2. Are there any other stations use the WFLA call ?
3. Is this accepted by the FCC ?. I know that nowadays there
are many
network stations without a true local ID, but using the call
of another
station as a local call is new for me.
4. Any other networks which use the call of the mother
station as a brand
name ?

Regards,
Aart Rouw
Bühl, Germany

World Radio TV Handbook 2002 will be out soon!
You can get yours for $17.46 + shipping + possible tax in some states.
Please visit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823059332/hardcoredxcom
And while you buy it, you'll also support Hard-Core-DX. Thank you.