Re: [HCDX] Why I am an SWLer (

Although  much of this can be replied from my web  page at
www.geocities.com/zliangas/radio.htm which has a very detailed information on
my radio activities I send you here my reply via the list ,and I wish to see more
entries for this topic:

>1.  What was your first exposure to Shortwave Listening?  How old were you?

I started on 1972 ,. I was 10 years old. when  my father has bought a SILVER
radio of 4 bands ( with 2 SW  bands) and li  liked to listen to  'exotic' radio
stations starting  from the nearby  countries , ie  Arabic , Turkish and some
years later Indian and Chinese stations
Notice however that my father was a radio operator for commercial ships on
early 60s  and as a baby I liked to play with his Morse tutor (there is a photo
proving it)  and little  later ( since my 2 years of age !) to play with the buttons of
a  very old valve  radio with MW , SW and FM ( I think of 40s) which I liked to
scan across the bands sometimes! Do not forget that I live in Greece !

>2.  What drew you into Shortwave Listening as a hobby?  How did you start
out?

Listening to  'exotic' music kinds as well to 'mysterious' languages. MY hobby
was that time also on languages as well as in music. Today my interest comes
mostly to music from around the  world that I cannot identify anymore as exotic.
My main musical interests today are on SEA countries mainly Tai, Malay ,
Indonesian, dangdut Jawa and sunda music kinds but  also with Chinese and
Indian pop and traditionals
You can read  further at my web site at  geocities.com/zliangas  which has two
special pages on Malay and Indonesian (dangdut) music.

>3.  What do you now do most in this hobby?  Tropical Band DX?
>Medium Wave DX?  News Listening?  Can you list what you do most, to
>least, in some order of interest?

Here is my ranking
1.tropical band DX ing at evenings and nights
2.radio scanning at other times also at office( morning times)  Checking new
radio entries  from newsletters
3. reading RTTY texts  with the use of decoder and RadioRaft ( computer
program)
4. more rarely to 'see'  radio faxes with specialized programs.
And much less to stay to a broadcasting station for more than 20 minutes
(except  for logging to the station)
Even much less to listen to local FM stations.
I have 5 radios 2 of them are comms receivers

>4.  What do you wish you knew more about, in this hobby?

As I m for more than 15 years overactive in 'radio communications', and having
read too much from all the aspects from radio hobby I cannot think there is
something I do not know. MY book collection on radio is more than 200 books,
some of them go much further, to purely digital communications. The only I
think  necessary is to be a little more  practical in making radio antennas ( my
main antenna is only one single wire) as well as in radio electronics.

>5.  What do you do during the summer, in this hobby?
For two years I have used my LOWE 150 in my country house on Mt Olympus
to do some great tropical LA DXing on 0000 UTC and afterwards. I still remain
on tropical DXing also this time but during trips outside the city I take with me
the Jupiteru all band radio ( 'DC to light') for listing  local  radio  stations as well
some local TV broadcasts/relays   . Many examples for this wirk  can be found in
my web page also from my trip on SEA( Bangkok,Spore, Bali)    two years ago (
but I used  my SONY radio for that time !)

>6.  What part of the day do you do must of your listening?
Nearly all the day , please read on paragraph 3 . My best times however are 14-
17  and 1900- UTC ( local times are UTC + 2 )

>7.  Do you listen while mobile?
I do not have a car model. 10 years ago I used a CB  transmitter However
during my trips outside my city ( and more especially for summer vacations)  my
Jupiteru is a must for easier  handling though I can't do real DXing with it
And more  rarely using the  very good MW tuner of my Roadstar car HiFi on
evenings nights ?.

pen-DX sejak 72 - anggota World-DX-Club 2104,Play DX, dll
PP: R75/HF150/MVT7100/D2935  + 16m/1x1 +
MFJ16010/1040/1025/752c/462
http://www.geocities.com/zliangas/
/trip2k.htm (dlm Bkk,SNG,BAli)   /MP3_comp.htm comparison Xing/Fastenc
/napa.htm crash test Napa DAV315 MP3 player

World Radio TV Handbook 2002 will be out soon!
You can get yours for $17.46 + shipping + possible tax in some states.
Please visit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823059332/hardcoredxcom
And while you buy it, you'll also support Hard-Core-DX. Thank you.