Re: [HCDX] Why I'm a SWLer

At 04:00 PM 3/26/2002 -0500, you wrote:
1. What was your first exposure to Shortwave Listening? How old
were you?

2. What drew you into Shortwave Listening as a hobby? How did you
start out?

Like another falla I'll answer both too. I was 12 years old (In the early 1970's) when an uncle of mine gave me a 4 band National Panisonic 4 band portable shortwave radio. I then found out what shortwave was by listening to that radio. Leter on I met a local ham radio operator who gave me several vacuum tube 40's through 50's era shortwave receivers (before he died) that I used for my listening hobby. Spent many hours during my teens & early 20's listening to all those sets to radio stations all over the world. Since then I have always used 50's era vacuum tube radio's in my listening post although I don't listen to them as must as I used to in years past.

3. What do you now do most in this hobby? Tropical Band DX? =20
Medium Wave DX? News Listening? Can you list what you do most, to
least, in some order of interest?

The regular shortwave broadcast bands & sometimes medium wave. On shortwave I was & still am mainly a program listener although I sometimes listen outside those bands to ship traffic & other signals too.

4. What do you wish you knew more about, in this hobby?

Foreign languages, like Spanish. My lack of understanding of Spanish stops me from enjoying tropical band DXing.

Same here but I'd like to be able to understand French & German too.

5. What do you do during the summer, in this hobby?

I listen to shortwave year round. It doesn't stop during the summer months.

6. What part of the day do you do must of your listening?

It depends. Usually evenings and early mornings. Sometimes I'll leave the Hallicrafters SX-42 (near my bed) tuned to a shortwave station while I go to sleep then flip the switch to standby when the static wakes me up in the middle of that after whatever station I was listening to goes off the air.

7. Do you listen while mobile?

No. I don't have a receiver (for shortwave) in my truck but I've thought about buying an Icom 706mkII-G with a bugcatcher antenna for my driving time.

World Radio TV Handbook 2002 will be out soon!
You can get yours for $17.46 + shipping + possible tax in some states.
Please visit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823059332/hardcoredxcom
And while you buy it, you'll also support Hard-Core-DX. Thank you.