To: HCDX
Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: [HCDX] LRA-36 15425.55

At 01:18 PM 3/30/2002 -0800, David Hodgson wrote:
David Hodgson, TN USA. March 29

Antartica, 15425.55, LRA-36, 2105-2215, Latin American
romantic type ballad music, with only occasional
announcements in Spanish. I did hear announcements @
2123 and 2135. CD recording skipped @ 2137. Signal was
weak to begin with, but increased to fair level around
2144. Audio started dropping out @ 2153. Definite ID
announcement @ 2200. I don't speak SS, but these are
some of the words from my ID recording that I
understand: "Transmite LRA ?? (pres 36)... Radio ?
Arcangel?..." Then freq in kHz. was given "para todo ?
" Played clip for Glenn Hauser who was fairly sure
about station ID and 100% sure about ending slogan
"para todo el mundo." This is a difficult one for us
in N America to hear due to the freq being too low for
effiecient mid-day propagation from Antartica;
however, the station was on later then usual, and I
think there was a slight geomagnetic disturbance at
the time, which pushed the MUF down. Signal was of
fair strength and quite listenable at peak, but with
rapid flutter, which would also suggest a degree of
geo-magnetic disturbance.(Hodgson, TN)

Interesting observations, David.  I have yet to hear them in Victoria between the usual 1800 and 2100 time frame.  They were relatively well heard, however, during that test transmission a few years back for North America.  Again that was a later transmission.  Seems to be the same propagation characteristic as Radio St Helena.  Consistently, the signal would be poor to non-existent, for the first hour, and then gradually increase, often to good to very good levels before starting to gradually fade during the last hour.  Maybe they'll be on late again this Monday?........Walt.