Re: [HCDX] (no subject)

The antenna in the Superadio is pretty good.  I've used the Justice AM Antenna sold by C. Crane and seen some small improvement in the received signal.  The biggest benefit would probably be if you need to use the radio in an RF-impaired location and can locate the Justice antenna out of the range of the impairment.  (They sell extension kits in up to 50' lengths.)  I was unable to find a location on the Superadio where the Justice antenna would inductively couple to the built in antenna so I had to use the external antenna connection.  (With my CCRadioPlus it works better to put the inductive coupling gizmo on top of the radio rather than to connect it to the external antenna leads.  I think both antennas end up working together instead of the Justice antenna simply replacing the internal one.)  All that said, you'll have to decide for yourself if you want to spend more money on the antenna than you did on the radio.

Another thing you might want to try is the Select-A-Tenna, also available from C. Crane (as well as other places).  It's a bit cheaper than the Justice antenna and works remarkably well for something that looks like a tortilla warmer with a knob in the middle.  There are instructions for a home made version here: http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/loop/inducloop.html.  There are also instructions for a one meter version in the same area of the site.  If you go the home made route, air variable capacitors are available at http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p59.htm and http://www.midnightscience.com/catalog5.html.  For more sources, do a Google search for "air variable capacitor".