[HCDX] logs from York, PA

Here are logs from the past two days---all are Sat 10-11:30pmEDT (Sun
0200-0330UTC) unless otherwise noted.

This was interesting---I've heard couple of mid-atlantic region stations
that I've never before heard in 25 years of DXing from York, PA   Sky
wave seemed weak--seemed to be getting some long-haul groundwave or
super-short hop stuff.
Equipment:  Worcester Spacemagnet 2 into Realistic DX-390 (Sangean 818)
in York City, PA on back deck of townhome.

1160khz--Not sure on this one---In one direction, I had a decent copy on
someone playing 70's oldies---sounded very good but automated,
w/jingles.  Thought I caught something like "WTGN" a couple of times,
but that doesn't check out.  Always faded on the *^&%$$ ID's!  Turn the
space magnet and I had someone carrying "Saturday Night at the Oldies"
syndictaed show.  Their website is no help whatsover.  Any ideas?

1200--WAGE Leesburg VA carrying Orioles baseball.  Pretty common here.

1250--WEAE Pittsburgh in local WQXA null.  They are only 31 watts at
night, but the tower is clearly visible a mile or two from my house!
The Spacemagnet has a tiny but sharp null that completely elimiates
WQXA---I love that little antenna!

1290--This is a good one!  Friday night around 10:30 (Sat 0230 UTC),
point the SM one way on there is practically armchair copy on WFBG
Altoona, PA w/Nostalgia.  I've never heard this one, day or night in
spite of 25 years of DXing from one town with various equipment.
They're only about 120 miles away.  Turn it 1/2 turn and there's solid
audio from WJBR in Wilmington, DE carrying Blue Rocks baseball.  They're
only supposed to be 32 watts at night---do I detect an "oops"?  BUT, on
Saturday there was nothing but solid copy from CJBK, London, ONT.

1320--WJAS, Pittsburgh, "your original hits station".  No sign of WGET,
only 30 miles away.

1330--Another, "oops, what time is it?", I'm sure.  But another new
one!  Solid audio from classic country WESR, Onley, VA.  Only supposed
to be 51 watts night, 5KW day.  Had to be day power!  Booming. Never
heard.

1400--UNID---nostalgia---usually Urban WTCY, Harrisburg, only 25 miles
away, but could have been WEST in Easton, PA, 90 miles away.

1440--UNID, but presumed WHKW, Akron, OH running Focus on the Family
radio.  I used to hear WHHO in their ore-religious top 40 days after
local WGCB (now WTHM) sign off.

1480--Assumed---WSRC, New York, NY, peppy ethnic (Asian?) music
program.  Much laughter---the international language!

1510--Assumed--WWSN, Boston---sports talk about Celtics.

1550--CBE, Windsor, ON, carrying CBC.

1570--What is this---let's forget to power down the rig night?  Heard
solid WQTW. Latrobe, PA, ID'd parallel with Power 104 (checked on net)
1KW day/223w night---ya gotta wonder!

Not much on Xband---the Spacemagnet preselector only goes to 1600, so
not much gain there.

I gotta say, the DX-390/Spacemagnet combo is pretty decent.  When you
plug in the SM lead, the internal ferrite rod is cut off, so it really
lets the Spacemagnet do its thing!  On the GE SR3, there is just a screw
terminal, and the substantial built-in-rod keeps right on receiving!  It
could be useful for something like the "near-field" Selectantenna, I
guess, but even barefoot, the DX-390 holds its own against it.

73 and good DX!
Bruce WB3HVV

World Radio TV Handbook 2002 is out!
You can get yours for $17.47 + shipping + possible tax in some states.
Please visit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823059332/hardcoredxcom
And while you buy it, you'll also support Hard-Core-DX. Thank you.