Re: [HCDX] what does "sawa" mean

Well I don't mean to pound this into the ground at risk of boring
many of you about "sawa".  Allow me to report on what I have discovered
about this word. It's a bit involved since I don't have an English > Arabic
dictionary, the one I have seen is poorly printed and hard to read.

The Arabic > English by Wehr (1301 pages) is regarded by many
as the best for non-native speakers/students, though it lists by
root form and not strict alphabetization. It has a thorough breakout
by root. As you know, many related-in-meaning words derive from the
same 3-consonant root form. e.g. d-r-s the concept of teaching
gives darrasa = to teach, mudarris/mudarrisa = teacher, madrasa =
place where teaching is done i.e. a school, we all know this word by now.
(the prefix ma-- before a word signifies a place where the action happens)

In Wehr [3] on p. 519, the listing for " sawaa' " (the " ' " is a hamza),
lists "equal, equality, sameness" and then "sawaa'an " (under the
form " sawaa' baswaa'  " gives "equally, indiscriminately, without
distinction; together"  followed by other forms for "making no difference"

So this may be a very specialized slang usage, outside of what I found,
below,
for the idea of "together" - perhaps something kids there say now. And
this of course would be unlikely to appear in many dictionaries.

I found a reference for "together", the mystery word of the 1548 Kuwait
station program name, pointing back into Arabic [1] which transliterates
back as " jami:a "  (the : signifies the letter 'ghayn', written vaguely
like
a backwards three, no English equivalent) and which indicates a j-m-:
root form.

There is another listing for "together" [2] which script transliterates back
as " ma:an " (final alif has nunation) but no further explanation of origin.

Looking up the   j-m-:   root form in Wehr [3]  gives many forms derived
from
this root, to wit:

jama:a = to gather, unite, combine...put together, join,...link, bring
together...
jam: = gathering, collection, combination, joining, accumulation...
jam:ii = collective, social, common, joint, mutual...
jam:iiya = club, association, society, organization, assembly...
jamii: = total, whole, entire ... (w. following genitive)
jumaa: = aggregate, total...
jamaa:a = group (of people), band, gang, party...
tajammu: = coming together, meeting, gathering...
ijtimaa: = meeting (corporate body, parliament)

(consider the origin of Qadhafi's "Libyan Arab Jamahiriya"...)

Looking up the same root   j-m-:   in Qafisheh [4] (Gulf Arabic) gives

tajamma: = to assemble, congregate together...
njima: = to be collected, gathered together...
jtima: = to meet, have a meeting...
jam: = collecting together, gathering of people...
jam:iyya (pl. jam:iaat) = association, organization, society, part of
"League
     of Nations", "General Assembly" etc.)
jimii: n-naas = all of the people,  l-jimii: = everyone, everybody
jamaa:a = group of people
jtimaa: = meeting
majmuu: = collected, gathered

However neither [3] nor [4] appear to have a listing simply for the word
"together" by itself (maybe I don't have enough dictionaries?) The only
s-w-- forms in [4] are "sawaa" forms (s-w-ii) which mean "equal, equivalent
(p. 338).

[1] "Arabic for Beginners", Syed Ali, Hippocrene, 2001, page 158 "adverbs of
affirmation"
[2] "Teach Yourself Arabic", J. R. Smart, Teach Yourself Books, 1986,
reissue
      in 1992, page 311, in "Arabic-English Vocabulary".
[3] "Arabic-English Dictionary: The Hans Wehr Dictionary of Modern Written
      Arabic", edited by J. McCowan, 4th Edn, Spoken Language Services,
Ithaca,
     N.Y., 1994, page 159 (book totals 1301 pages)
[4] "NTC's Gulf Arabic-English Dictionary: A Compact Dictionary of the
     Contemporary Arabic of the MidEast", Hamdi A. Qafisheh, NTC Publishing
     Group, 1997, page 97 (book totals 650 pages)

In closing, I can find just one thing that weakly links the form of the
'word' "sawa"
to "together", but four modern references that link the idea of "together",
"gathered together" etc. to a totally different root form

So now you have an idea of what they mean when they say "the Qur'aan
is non-translatable..."

Maybe I am sorry I even brought it up...but it was a learning experience.

Bob Foxworth
---------------------
> Message: 1
> From: "Andy Sennitt" <andys@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Bob Foxworth wrote;
>
> > I looked up "sawa" in my 4th edition of Hans Wehr Arabic-English.
> > Under the s-w- root (where letter s is the "siin" form) there is a
> > listing for  "  sawaa'  " which is "equality, sameness". I can't find
> > any such  listing under the S-w- root (where s is the "saad" form).
> > (note the long "a" form and the hamza, as well, lost in the English
> > transliteration).
>
> I don't speak Arabic either, but the official translation of "sawa" is
> "together".
>
> BTW the acronym SAWA also stands for:
>
> Screen Advertising World Association, a worldwide trade body of screen
> advertising companies, and South Asian Women for Action :-)
>
> Andy Sennitt

> Subject: Re: [HCDX] what does "sawa" mean
> Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:56:07 +0000
>

> ``Together`` is the official translation of sawa, per initial publicity
> about the service. We in SW have been aware of it for a long time. There
> have been numerous reports about it in DX Listening Digest the past few
> months :)
>
> Glenn Hauser

Keep in mind EDXC Conference 2002 in mid-August - the biggest DX and SWL
meeting in Europe! See http://www.sdxl.org/edxc/edxc2002.html, come to
Pori, Finland and enjoy!