[HCDX] Re: RCI on 1233

On 8 Aug 2002 I wrote:

Aug 7 at 2130 noted R Canada Int in Arabic
on mw 1233 with rather nice signal. At 2144
Arabic ended and their Ukraine or Russian
program was audible for two minutes. The
tx went off at 2146.
I checked their technical schedule on the web
but no mention of mw. I recall in the past RCI
used the TWR/RMC station on Cyprus for some
programs. Maybe they have used it continuously
and I just haven't noticed it?
After 2146 on 1233 was audible a non-stop pop music
station, probably R Trafic, Liege, Belgium and one
UK station.
73
Jari Savolainen
Kuusankoski
Finland
--------
Well, it seems the relay has been continuous through the years :)

Here is what i just received from RCI after asking about this:

Dear Mr. Savolainen:

Thank you very much for your e-mail of the 7th.  RCI regularly transmits in Arabic on 1233 kHz at 2115-2144 UTC.  This is a relay transmission via Radio Monte Carlo Middle East, and the transmitter is located in Cyprus.  According to the 2002 edition of the World Radio TV Handbook, the transmitter power is 600 kW.

RCI has, in fact, been using this Radio Monte Carlo Middle East relay for several years, but only for one 30-minute transmission in Arabic per day.

I would presume that someone, somewhere along the line, forgot to turn off the feed after the Arabic transmission finished, so that the Ukrainian transmission was heard.

You might also be interested to know that an Arabic-language newscast from Radio Monte Carlo Middle East is also retransmitted on shortwave via RCI transmitters in Sackville, Canada, for listeners in North America.  This transmission is currently heard daily at 0400-0420 UTC on 5960 and 9755 kHz.

I hope that this information is of help.

Incidentally, would you like to receive RCI's programme guide by mail.  If you would, could you please send us your postal address.  Many thanks in advance.

Yours very truly,

Bill Westenhaver