From: "Deutsche Welle " <Renate.Wassen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BCC:@dwelle.de
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:46:07 +0100
Subject: DW-TV survey

Dear DW-TV viewers,

Deutsche Welle would like to continue to provide programming
that is of interest to you, so your opinion is important to us.

That is why a short questionnaire is attached to this e-mail as a
"Word" document. Please help us by taking part in this survey.
Most responses require inserting an "x" in the parentheses beside
your choice of answer. In some cases, however, we ask that you
provide commentary. The words "please write out" appear in
parentheses after questions requiring a written answer.

Please fill out the questionnaire as completely as possible and
simply return it to us with the "reply" command. You can also fax
(+49 221 389 4155) the survey back to us or post it to: Deutsche
Welle, Markt- und Medienforschung, 50588 Cologne,
GERMANY.

The DW-TV team thanks you for joining in our survey. We would
like to assure you that your answers are confidential and will
remain anonymous.

Sincerely yours,
the DW-TV Team

So here we go ...

------------------------------

Question 1 of 10. Have you ever seen programmes from DW-
TV?
(please mark your answers with an "x")

(  ) yes (please continue to Question 2)
(  ) no  (Thank you very much, you have reached the end of the
survey.

------------------------------

Question 2 of 10. In general, how would you rate your satisfaction
with the programming at DW-TV?
(please mark your answer with only one "x")

( ) completely satisfied
( ) very satisfied
( ) satisfied
( ) less satisfied
( ) dissatisfied

------------------------------

Question 3 of 10. When was the last time you watched a DW-TV
programme?
 (only one "x", please)

( ) yesterday
( ) within the past week
( ) within the past four weeks
( ) longer ago than the past four weeks

------------------------------

Question 4 of 10. If you can recall when you last watched DW-
TV, at what time (your local time) did you tune in (for example,
8:00 a.m to 9:00 a.m. and 6 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., or continually from
8 p.m.)? Please enter the times when you last viewed DW-TV
here: (please write out)
 ------------------------------

Question 5 o f 10. Please estimate how long you have been
watching programmes from DW-TV? (only one "x", please)
( ) less than one year
( ) more than one year, less than two years
( ) more than two years, less than five years
( ) more than five years
------------------------------

Question 6 of 10. Please tell us how closely the statements
describe you.
(only one "x" for each statement, please)

"I tune into the broadcast by chance."

( ) exactly
( ) quite closely
( ) less closely
( ) not at all
( ) don't know/no answer

"I tune into shows that interest me."

( ) exactly
( ) quite closely
( ) less closely
( ) not at all
( ) don't know/no answer

"I always watch DW-TV at the same times."

( ) exactly
( ) quite closely
( ) less closely
( ) not at all
( ) don't know/no answer
------------------------------

Question 7 of 10: Please tell us now how you find out about DW-
TV broadcasts. How do the following statements describe your
methods of getting information about our programming?
(only one "x" for each statement, please)

"I use the programming schedules provided on screen between
individual shows."

( ) always/almost always
( ) frequently
( ) rarely
( ) never
( ) don't know/no answer

"I use information from short clip previews of actual upcoming
shows that are broadcast between individual programming
segments."

( ) always/almost always
( ) frequently
( ) rarely
( ) never
( ) don't know/no answer

"I find out about DW-TV programmes from the Internet."

( ) always/almost always
( ) frequently
( ) rarely
( ) never
( ) don't know/no answer

"I use printed programming information published by Deutsche
Welle."

( ) always/almost always
( ) frequently
( ) rarely
( ) never
( ) don't know/no answer

"I find out about DW-TV from newspapers and magazines."

( ) always/almost always
( ) frequently
( ) rarely
( ) never
( ) don't know/no answer

"I take the UTC-times in the programming guides and convert
them to local time to find out when the broadcasts will be in my
area."

( ) always/almost always
( ) frequently
( ) rarely
( ) never
( ) don't know/no answer

"Friends and acquaintances tell me about DW-TV programmes."

( ) always/almost always
( ) frequently
( ) rarely
( ) never
( ) don't know/no answer
------------------------------
Question 8 of 10. This question pertains to DW-TV's multilingual
broadcasting. The language of DW-TV's shows alternates hourly
between German and English (in a few countries, this is
sometimes the case with Spanish).

Do you find this disruptive, or are you comfortable with it?
(only one "x", please)

( ) very comfortable
( ) quite comfortable
( ) neither disruptive nor comfortable
( ) more disruptive
( ) very disruptive
( ) don't know/no answer

Question 9 of 10: What is your evaluation of different DW-TV
programme segments
and shows? (only one "x" per item, please)

The timeliness of the news
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

The thoroughness of the reporting
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

News and reports about your region and country
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Announcements for upcoming programmes
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Reports on German issues
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Reports about European issues
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Reports about global events
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Reports about political events in Germany
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Reports about European and international politics
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Reports about economic issues
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Reports about cultural events (concerts, opera, plays, museums,
film festivals, etc.)
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Sports reporting (soccer, tennis etc.)
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Question 10 of 10. Please rate DW-TV's individual shows. If you
are unfamiliar with a show, please mark "don't know/no answer".
(only one "x" per programme, please)

Journal
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

In Focus
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Germany Today
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Germany Live
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Tomorrow Today
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Auto, Motor and Sport TV
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Destination Germany
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

European Journal
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Made in Germany
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

People and Politics
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer

Arts Unlimited
( ) very good
( ) good
( ) mediocre
( ) poor
( ) don't know/no answer
------------------------------

That's almost it, but don't go away just yet. Now that you've told
us about what you think of us, we'd like to know something about
you. But we'd like you to know that the following information is
gathered solely for the purposes of this survey.

Gender
( ) male
( ) female

What is your age? Please mark the appropriate age group with an
"x".
( ) younger than 24 years old
( ) 25-29 years old
( ) 30-39 years old
( ) 40-49 years old
( ) 50-59 years old
( ) 60 years old and older

Are you employed?...
( ) yes
( ) no

...or still in school or a professional training programme?
( ) yes

Is English your native language?
( ) yes
( ) if not, please specify:

>From which country are you writing:

Is the area where you live:

( ) more rural
( ) more urban
( ) large metropolitan area

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

....and now, please return this using the "reply" or "antworten"
command.
Do make sure that the "original message", namely our questions,
are sent
with your responses. We assure you that the information you've
provided
will be handled confidential ly and be handled anonymously.

Keep in mind EDXC Conference 2002 in mid-August - the biggest DX and SWL
meeting in Europe! See http://www.sdxl.org/edxc/edxc2002.html, come to
Pori, Finland and enjoy!